Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting. chat in the bar

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I would prefer a few less tight wins but a win is a win is a win so can't complain really.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fans of NFL will know watching great defense can be entertaining too, I recall the Chicago Bears of 1986 were awesome at shutting down other teams.

We may not have De Bruyne or Hazard but what we do have is a back 5 unit that is probably the best in the club's history. **** attacking football, I enjoy every game these boys play together because each match is like watching an SAS unit on a mission.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was also interesting, but not to tony obviously, one of the guys is a Everton fanand he was whining on about an influx of Chinese fans who care nothing about the club but seemly there was a documentary shown in China about Everton and seemly lots of their fans have adopted them and snap up all the spare tickets when they come out

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some of the home games last year were very attacking - Swansea & West Ham spring to mind but there is a need to change the style when playing better teams. Hughton was far from negative in the championship once he built his team so be very careful of the bitter Norwich myth they always bring up...

This.

Hughton’s counter attacking football in our 2.5 Championship seasons under him, was a thing of beauty.

He adapts to what he works with, relative to the opposition.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Same here. I know a Norwich fanatic who moved here for Uni 30 years ago and settled in the area. He hates BHA & Ipswich, and was desparate for us to always fail at promotion to the PL. His Albion hatred I think stems from meeting so many Albion fans through business and enjoying Schadenfreude when things go wrong for them all.

Just remind him that Case was never offside, that will get him going.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can’t deny it wasn’t the most entertaining game I’ve ever watched but it’s a result driven business and like it or not it’s working for us
We didn't kick-off intending to play that poorly. We were dreadful, against a decent side, yet we won anyway.

Against Man U we didn't score a goal and then sit back to defend the lead. Nor did we yesterday, we were backs to the wall for the first half, before we scored. It's not the manager's instructions to sit back and defend for the sake of it, only to do so when we can't keep the ball and push forward.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
as fans many cant make the choice with their head , 3 points or entertaining performance , most think their team is better than it is and demand entertaining performances week in week out until they realise that they are in deep trouble then they change and say "give us 3 points we dont care if its drab"

cant please all the people all the time , but be careful what you wish for is often an apt saying ... for me 3 points every time (though does the nerves no good) until we have enough to relax and then put the style on

I will take 3 seasons of negative but improving footy in the prem than 1 in prem and 2 in champs .. or would you rather be a Fulham supporter seeing you team concede 28 goals in 10 games

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Was chatting in the bar with some very complimentary guys about the Albion and our impact on the premier lastnight.

We were joined by a Norwich dan who had been following our results and the write ups in the press.

He said. Are you all getting pissed off with hughtons style of footy yet?

He was saying that although they were initially getting the results, the style of football was turning so many people off that they ended up calling for his head as it was so boring , negative and defensive.

I said we hadn’t gone that far although it was frustrating that once we score we hit defence mode and seem to spend the rest of the game hanging on!!!

It is a difficult balance to strike being entertaining and getting results

Was that the 6-fingered Dan, or the 5-fingered Dan from Norwich? Two different families (just), but if you go back a few generations, you see that the original brother and sister who started that family, and subsequently split into two tribes, did not have the brains to think of any other names for their offspring.
Sort of reflected in their descendant's understanding of PL football.....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I thought we were horribly boring and defensive when we put three past Man Utd the other week

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Goals conceded: Fulham - 28, Cardiff - 23, Huddersfield - 21

Combined points total - 13

Goals conceded: Brighton - 13

Albion's points total - 14

No complaints here. More of the same, Chris.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Bournemouth pack their defence too as shown on MOTD last night. The difference is that when they get the ball, they keep it and break with pace. That is where we are struggling at the moment and CH knows that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Goals conceded: Fulham - 28, Cardiff - 23, Huddersfield - 21

Combined points total - 13

Goals conceded: Brighton - 13

Albion's points total - 14

No complaints here. More of the same, Chris.

On Sky Sports 1 with Muzza just then, they stated that Hudd haven’t won any of their last 15.

Their alleged swashbuckling football is a pile of crap.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The conversation reminded me a bit f the same ones we were having about Mike Bailey last time we were in the top division.

The majority of posters on here wouldnt have been born when he was manager I wouldnt think, but as you say he got us to fight out 1-0 wins and I have always been an advocate of keeping a clean sheet as the foremost priority.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The majority of posters on here wouldnt have been born when he was manager I wouldnt think, but as you say he got us to fight out 1-0 wins and I have always been an advocate of keeping a clean sheet as the foremost priority.

Yes every time. Winning has to be the ultimate prority. Providing we do that, then attractive football is just icing on the cake..

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Fulham have proved the CH approach is spot on, 3 points for clubs like ours are all that matter for now.

Why just pick one example ?

Bournemouth have proved it is the example.

Huddersfield are proving it isn’t the example to be so defensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Builder: "So, I've put down the strongest, most reliable possible foundations imaginable. So far they are passing every possible stress test."
Client: "Couldn't you have put the walls in first?"
Builder: "Erm..."

odd analogy but if you want to go with it, some are saying its time to build some walls and add a roof. can only admire concreate foundations for so long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here