Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Is this Athletic thing being promoted internationally? Given someone in the US actually paid money to buy the rights to that Austrian friendly there certainly seems to be interest in areas, and for products, I hadn’t expected.

As I understand it, subscribers in US will have access to UK content and vice versa.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll give it 12 months before it goes bust unless they have deep pockets or are paying peanuts for articles

It's deliberately disruptive. The old clickbait / saturated adverts model is being done by everyone and is almost universally unpopular. To be disruptive in the internet era you have to have reasonably sized pockets. You can't gamble with peanuts.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We just need one NSCer to subscribe and then get anything useful copied on here pronto. Simple [emoji106][emoji16]

I would imagine they will offer a short free trial when they launch, just to get the ball rolling.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
That financial brainiac Kieran Maguire hasn't aided Brian Owen emerge from the Naylor shadow today, with the final lyric of his Argus interview seeming a little disconnected from the line before. Economists. Pah.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Strikes me that relies on clubs offering that to The Athletic writer

As in the piece I linked to earlier, and as [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] alluded to, UK clubs don't work like that.

And if the Albion are keen on reaching Albion fans in the unofficial official way that happens right now, would they still go via Naylor, or stick with the Argus because of its local ties and subscription-free model?

The Argus on-line doesn't really tell you anything though, I've stopped checking it. There's a big headline, say, "Albion still looking to make new signings", and then the 'article' underneath reads something like "Albion manager Graham Potter confirmed that the Albion were still looking to make new signings before the end of the transfer window. Speaking at the Lancing training complex yesterday he said 'We're still looking to make some new signings before the end of the transfer window.'"

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've decided to give the Athletic a go, primarily for their coverage of the Redskins and other US sports teams. at $47 a year it's hardly a huge expense to get a sports website with in depth writing and no pop-up ads. I like the idea they are willing to back their writers and get them paid. One of my favourite Skins writers (ironically a Brit) does excellent film breakdowns and I don't have a problem paying for them.

I'd be interested to see what content Naylor comes up with, it could be a challenging gig for him. Still I'm glad he has an opportunity to stretch his journalistic legs and I wish all the best

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Strikes me that relies on clubs offering that to The Athletic writer

As in the piece I linked to earlier, and as [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] alluded to, UK clubs don't work like that.

And if the Albion are keen on reaching Albion fans in the unofficial official way that happens right now, would they still go via Naylor, or stick with the Argus because of its local ties and subscription-free model?

Strikes me that NSC could fit that niche quite nicely, although I'm obviously well within the bubble.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Has Andy said where he is moving to?

Publicly i think all the journos have been asked to keep schtum . But he's reported in that Buzzfeed article as having been signed up by The Atlantic along with a bunch of other UK football journalists and he's confirmed he's going to continue to write and report on the Albion.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
According to Buzzfeed, the Athlete have poached the following, so far:

The Guardian
Daniel Taylor
Amy Lawrence
Dominic Fifield
Stuart James

Daily Mail
Laura Williamson
Laurie Whitwell
Adam Crafton

Times
Alex Kay-Jelski
Oliver Kay
George Caulkin

BBC
David Ornstein

Other/Local
Andy Naylor - Albion
Liam Twomey - Chelsea
Phil Hay - Leeds
James Pearce - Liverpool
Sam Lee - Man City
Tim Spiers - Wolves

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's deliberately disruptive. The old clickbait / saturated adverts model is being done by everyone and is almost universally unpopular. To be disruptive in the internet era you have to have reasonably sized pockets. You can't gamble with peanuts.

Mmmmm, peanuts :drool:

Very true GB. The days of the internet being free are, I think, behind us as more and more websites move behind paywalls. It looks as though the advertising side of things has caught up, so that is also helping the situation. Then I guess there are the possibilities of apps, in-app purchases, spin-off elements (maybe its own fantasy football league?), special offers via the website/app, branding/sponsor opportunities. Not sure how much money they'll make – or how long it will take – but I can see they've done their homework...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We just need one NSCer to subscribe and then get anything useful copied on here pronto. Simple [emoji106][emoji16]

Maybe, but then there is some damn clever software/coding out there that prevents you from a straight copy/paste from web to text doc. Believe me, I've tried and failed on a few occasions and, while it's very annoying in some cases, I completely understand it and applaud the efforts of the people behind it. However, having said that, my IT skills are less than mediocre, so I'm sure some boffin can get around it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here