Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new Prime Minister Theresa May, and her cabinet...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be a dark, dark day for democracy everywhere if a small bunch of politicians overturn the will of the people, democratically voted in a referendum.

A referendum in which the LEAVE side peddled lies that were decisive then - to a man - fled the scene leaving no trace of accountability and a mug Remainer to do their dirty work.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'd like to know whether Leadsom deliberately timed her withdrawal until after May had given that speech announcing "Brexit means Brexit". If so it was a masterstroke from the LEAVE campaign.

She had already said exactly the same thing during the leadership campaign.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A referendum in which the LEAVE side peddled lies that were decisive then - to a man - fled the scene leaving no trace of accountability and a mug Remainer to do their dirty work.
You're not keen on democracy then? At least, not when you are in a minority.........

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It will be a dark, dark day for democracy everywhere if a small bunch of politicians overturn the will of the people, democratically voted in a referendum.

All these Brexiters talking about how Democracy has spoken...

How do you like your ****ing democracy now... We now have an unelected PM

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'd like to know whether Leadsom deliberately timed her withdrawal until after May had given that speech announcing "Brexit means Brexit". If so it was a masterstroke from the LEAVE campaign.

May: 30th June

“First, Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high, and the public gave their verdict. There must be no attempts to remain inside the EU, no attempts to rejoin it through the backdoor, and no second referendum. The country voted to leave the European Union, and it is the duty of the government and Parliament to make sure we do just that.”

[yt]z-fddd9rQjY[/yt]

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She had already said exactly the same thing during the leadership campaign.

It counts more when you repeat it on the day you're left the last candidate standing.

Sadly, this appears to be all about the Tory Party and not about the UK.

It is Parliament that is sovereign in the UK, a referendum is non-binding and advisory, but Parliament would nevertheless be expected to vote on the outcome if simply to endorse it. May should see the Parliamentary process through and shut the f*ck up about the outcome until Parliament approves it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"Brexit means Brexit."

We all agree, and it will happen.

But other than 'Brexit means Brexit' what does Brexit mean other than leaving the EU ???

It means anything you like within that broad parameter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hardly showed any leadership qualities during the Referendum so I doubt she will amount to anything more than John Major in a frock

would that be the same John Major who won his first election with largest ever number of votes, unmatched since? (even Blair in '97 polled half a million fewer)

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It's never been any different. How did Gordon Brown become PM? It's the way our political system has always worked. The party that forms the government chooses their leader. If there's only 1 contender that person is elected unopposed.
You also seem t have forgotten that she got 60% of the PLP votes in the last run off.

I wasn't implying I had a problem with it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Been plenty of occasions where a prime minister has changed during a parliamentary term and led the country for a prolonged period without having won a general election as leader of the party.
Its been so common that there is really no need to get your constitutional panties all in a twist

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Awkward.................I hate to be the one to point this out but no one votes to elect a Prime Minister, thats not how it works at a General Election, the PM just happens to be whoever is the leader of the winning party.

If the leader steps down for any reason during the term then the new leader becomes PM.

Hope that clears it up for you. :)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Been plenty of occasions where a prime minister has changed during a parliamentary term and led the country for a prolonged period without having won a general election as leader of the party.
Its been so common that there is really no need to get your constitutional panties all in a twist

Still unelected PM ... Anyway you should be reading my reply showing you the accuracy of my EU migration figures.

Awkward.................I hate to be the one to point this out but no one votes to elect a Prime Minister, thats not how it works at a General Election, the PM just happens to be whoever is the leader of the winning party.

If the leader steps down for any reason during the term then the new leader becomes PM.

Hope that clears it up for you. :)

When there is a general election you are voting for the party as well as the person leading it...

We are in a funny period in politics where the word democracy is being thrown about a lot...i am merely highlighting that she is unelected and is not having a new general election

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

In fact Since 1900 Britain has had 22 different Prime Ministers. Our list below shows that in that period there have been 14 occasions on which 13 different Prime Ministers have come to power other than through a general election.

Year Prime Minister Party
2007 Gordon Brown Labour
1990 John Major Conservative
1976 James Callaghan Labour
1963 Sir Alec Douglas-Home Conservative
1957 Harold Macmillan Conservative
1955 Sir Anthony Eden Conservative
1940 Winston Churchill Conservative
1937 Neville Chamberlain Conservative
1935 Stanley Baldwin Conservative
1923 Stanley Baldwin Conservative
1916 David Lloyd George Liberal
1908 Herbert H. Asquith Liberal
1905 Henry Campbell-Bannerman Liberal
1902 Arthur Balfour Conservative

https://fullfact.org/news/unelected-prime-ministers-common-or-not/

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
i did, and also saw it had been corrected for you so it made sense

You haven't updated this since my reply at 15:54... There is nothing for you to correct the figures provided are 0.5% of annual EU migration of the whole population... Them the facts.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You haven't updated this since my reply at 15:54... There is nothing for you to correct the figures provided are 0.5% of annual EU migration of the whole population... Them the facts.

i didnt correct you
someone else did and added the annual so it made sense.......as previously it didnt make sense.

take it to the other referendum thread chap
this is the wrong place

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Still unelected PM ... Anyway you should be reading my reply showing you the accuracy of my EU migration figures.

When there is a general election you are voting for the party as well as the person leading it...

We are in a funny period in politics where the word democracy is being thrown about a lot...i am merely highlighting that she is unelected and is not having a new general election

No I don't, I vote for who I want to be my local MP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here