Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Kosovo 7.45 tonight @ St Mary's (capacity 32,505)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unless I am mistaken Wembley is in the south of England so why didnt they take this game to a ground up north with a capacity of 45,000 +.

Surely if you're going to go around the country, ship it up north, Anfield, Etihad or even St James Pk.

The last two 'non-Wembley' full internationals, were held in Leicester and Leeds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It worked brilliantly because there wasn't an alternative! Whilst I'm not a fan of sending it around the country as we have a national stadium, if they do insist on doing why pick Soton, an hour on the train from Waterloo? Surely if you're going to go around the country, ship it up north, Anfield, Etihad or even St James Pk.

This game for sure should've been played in some northern griefhole, I don't know why Southampton was picked. On the whole though, other than when we have a major International, I'd only use Wembley for games played at the weekend, as its a proper arseache getting away from there and out of London on a schoolnight.

I'd pretty much always favour playing at a club stadium whenever we're playing one of these cannon fodder noddy nations. Just because we have a national stadium, doesn't mean it should always be the default choice for all England games. I hope the FA send more of these qualifiers around the country.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Should have held it in Brussels.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The new 'Wembley' is so far removed from the beautiful Empire Stadium. Wembley was killed and the new stadium is just that.

Sending the games round the country is a great idea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The new 'Wembley' is so far removed from the beautiful Empire Stadium. Wembley was killed and the new stadium is just that.

Sending the games round the country is a great idea.

'Old Wembley' was far from beautiful, it was a ramshackle old khazi by the time they knocked it down. Although I do wish they'd somehow found a way to keep those iconic twin towers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Old Wembley' was far from beautiful, it was a ramshackle old khazi by the time they knocked it down. Although I do wish they'd somehow found a way to keep those iconic twin towers.

I do wish they'd somehow found a way to keep those iconic twin towers and not bothered with anything else.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
I am surprised at this as I thought they had a commitment to Club Wembley and other corporates to show all of the England team’s competitive matches.

Maybe they could argue that playing Kosovo isn’t competitive.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This game for sure should've been played in some northern griefhole, I don't know why Southampton was picked. On the whole though, other than when we have a major International, I'd only use Wembley for games played at the weekend, as its a proper arseache getting away from there and out of London on a schoolnight.

I'd pretty much always favour playing at a club stadium whenever we're playing one of these cannon fodder noddy nations. Just because we have a national stadium, doesn't mean it should always be the default choice for all England games. I hope the FA send more of these qualifiers around the country.

Ethiad
Sunderland
Leeds

Have all had England games in the last 3 years

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ethiad
Sunderland
Leeds

Have all had England games in the last 3 years

Wembley is classed as being in "the south" though, so its perhaps surprising that they've gone proper south-south with Southampton for this one, 3 days after they'd just played in the capital.

Maybe Villa Park or Molineux would've been a geographically fairer choice this time. Not that it matters overly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wembley is classed as being in "the south" though, so its perhaps surprising that they've gone proper south-south with Southampton for this one, 3 days after they'd just played in the capital.

Maybe Villa Park or Molineux would've been a geographically fairer choice this time. Not that it matters overly.

I’m an England travel club member, do most away games but rarely any home games cos of how difficult Wembley is on a weekday as you mentioned - even from Brighton

That said heading down to St Mary’s tonight as it was an easy game ! Not sure my mates driving down from the midlands agree

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m an England travel club member, do most away games but rarely any home games cos of how difficult Wembley is on a weekday as you mentioned - even from Brighton

That said heading down to St Mary’s tonight as it was an easy game ! Not sure my mates driving down from the midlands agree

A few extra miles to NOT go to Wembley tonight is surely preferable though. It shouldn't be quite such a ballache getting away. Makes a nice change an' all.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bury could have done with the revenue. Or Bolton.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton

Yeah I know what you mean. Just think revamping it and keeping the Twin Towers would have been respecting tradition. And a darn sight cheaper.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When I heard a few days ago that England were playing Kosovo today at Southampton, I just presumed it was the Under-21 team. I'm just at a
loss as to why this stadium was chosen, can anybody explain? If the reason is so that more people around the country can see England play, then I have to tell you that the total of those able to attend tonight will be at least 50,000 fewer than those able to see the team at Wembley on Saturday.

Shite idea, no reason why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here