Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Perry standing down

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloom, Barber and Perry can try as much as they want to rewrite history, but the undisputed truth is that if BHAFC was to be embodied by one person it is and always will be Dick Knight. If every club in the country had to name their most influential and indispensable person of all time he would be ours. I have nothing at all against Bloom, Barber and Perry, they’ve all done their respective jobs well, but the way they publicly ignore the main man grows more distasteful by the year.

I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment, but why does BHA have to be emobodied by one person ? DK could not have got planning permission for the Amex over the line on his own. Without the expertise, determination, skill and sheer tenaciousness of MP at his side, the Amex would never have happened. Together, they both got it over the line. Then the credit crunch hit, and TB had to - HAD to - step in to bankroll it, or the likely reality is we'd still be looking at a muddy field there today.

We have been incredibly, incredibly fortunate with the calibre of men who arrived at just the right time to save and then grow BHA. It could so easily have gone disastrously south at numerous points. DK, MP and TB are the trio that realised the dream. They ALL embody the club as far as I'm concerned.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bloom, Barber and Perry can try as much as they want to rewrite history, but the undisputed truth is that if BHAFC was to be embodied by one person it is and always will be Dick Knight. If every club in the country had to name their most influential and indispensable person of all time he would be ours. I have nothing at all against Bloom, Barber and Perry, they’ve all done their respective jobs well, but the way they publicly ignore the main man grows more distasteful by the year.

The original gang of Knight, Perry and other financial backers (some kept out of the limelight), with essentially no club assets or collateral, faced a long and formidable list of enemies.

Baker, Falmer council, LDC, BHCC’s CEO Panter couldn’t stand football and the club, many BHCC councillors the same, Sussex Downsmen, and the Vice Chancellor of Brighton Uni treated the club like dirt.

It’s a miracle that both pre-TB and post-TB, we got a stadium. Or survived as a Football League club at all.

DK and the lot of them are all heroes.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment, but why does BHA have to be emobodied by one person ? DK could not have got planning permission for the Amex over the line on his own. Without the expertise, determination, skill and sheer tenaciousness of MP at his side, the Amex would never have happened. Together, they both got it over the line. Then the credit crunch hit, and TB had to - HAD to - step in to bankroll it, or the likely reality is we'd still be looking at a muddy field there today.

We have been incredibly, incredibly fortunate with the calibre of men who arrived at just the right time to save and then grow BHA. It could so easily have gone disastrously south at numerous points. DK, MP and TB are the trio that realised the dream. They ALL embody the club as far as I'm concerned.

Perfectly sums it up

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The original gang of Knight, Perry and other financial backers (some kept out of the limelight), with essentially no club assets or collateral, faced a long and formidable list of enemies.

Baker, Falmer council, LDC, BHCC’s CEO Panter couldn’t stand football and the club, many BHCC councillors the same, Sussex Downsmen, and the Vice Chancellor of Brighton Uni treated the club like dirt.

It’s a miracle that both pre-TB and post-TB, we got a stadium. Or survived as a Football League club at all.

DK and the lot of them are all heroes.

This

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Martin Perry is a fantastic ambassador of the club, he has lead on the projects to deliver the Amex plus all the improvements over the years as well as the training ground. He has probably been the most influential person in helping the chairmen to establish the club in the last 20 years. As a director he has been exemplary and deserves a place of recognition in the future of the club

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Was never going to end well when after all the long years of hard graft by DK and MP to win planning permission then somebody else sweeps in - fan or no fan - with a bigger cheque book and says cheers lads I'll take over from here on in. Reckon I'd be pretty pissed off too

DK got a bar named after him and saved our club he made some incredable signings not least Martin Perry his right hand man who went on to deliver what was DKs dream and TBs vision, trusted by both chairmen, planners, politicians, designers, builders and football fans alike I can see a another stadium location naming in the pipeline but to us the fans he has been the clubs mr fix it and will be missed but he deserves a happy and long retirement just leaves me to say thank you Mr Perry for all you have done for my football club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do worry about you sometimes ! I'm afraid you're going to have to explain that post.

OK, there was a steward at Withdean, South stand, who had the brilliant idea of dying his hair yellow, but only a plate-shaped circle in the middle. We sang 'omlette on his head, he's got an omlette on his head' as you do.

No need to worry about me, mate. I'm *fit, tanned and fresh from a swim in the sea. Couldn't be better punk::thumbsup:

*no, it was fat. Let's not pretend :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me Martin Perry is right up there with Bloom and Knight because none of this happens without attention to detail and incredible passion for the club. Martin had both - he was the right man at the right time, and thank God he did throw in his lot with Tony to get the project over the line.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I oft' think of Dick - a true hero, regardless of the other heroes of my Albion yore... he steals the thunder for me.

I met him... at Hartelpool many years ago... He was a true gent.

I didn't say I knew him.

Only that I met him once.

In this case, it was enough to know I'd met the man who had saved my football club, and thus prevented a young boys heart from being torn in twain. He never knew... how much it meant to me.

Peace be the journey Dick.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Was never going to end well when after all the long years of hard graft by DK and MP to win planning permission then somebody else sweeps in - fan or no fan - with a bigger cheque book and says cheers lads I'll take over from here on in. Reckon I'd be pretty pissed off too

I kind of drifted away a bit when I knew/felt we were 'safe' as a club, it also coincided with other stuff, marrying a 'top bint' from NSC, a home and a family . . . .and all the other 'trappings'. . . next thing you know it's nigh on inaccessible (by comparison)

So few were nailed to and really supporting the club in the mid 90's compared to now. MP & DK were instrumental in keeping the club alive. Not thriving or succeeding, just alive. I'm Forever grateful.

I just hope one day my son, at least, realises and understands the ****ing shit we all waded through for them to watch premiershite kick ball, eating Posh pies and whinging about £15m failures, not as good as xyz on Fifa!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't see why it has to be a competition. Knight, Perry, Bloom in that chronological order have been immense and are all legends in my eyes. I don't feel need to rank them on the podium!

Chronological order you say? ??? Body mass index woud be my go to unit of preferable measurement. Which coincidentally gives the same outcome.

Next, I think we should measure the worth of political leaders by the weight of their last eruction. Boris wins, obviously. The next question is what to do about it? The answer I think is set him on fire. It won't happen, though.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Chronological order you say? ??? Body mass index woud be my go to unit of preferable measurement. Which coincidentally gives the same outcome.

Next, I think we should measure the worth of political leaders by the weight of their last eruction. Boris wins, obviously. The next question is what to do about it? The answer I think is set him on fire. It won't happen, though.

Have any of them thrown a shoe over a pub though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here