Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Silly Sayings

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't know about sayings, but using the word 'super' in front of 'friendly' or 'happy' e.g.,., I'm super happy ...

really, really p**ses me off. An american term which is creeping into general usage,

Agreed - super annoying isn't it ?

On here, the many prior references to Hughton 'earning his salt'. It's CORN.........should have been deliveries of CORN at half time, not salt. This is where it all went wrong. You EARN CORN, you're WORTH SALT (or not)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s raining cats and dogs. WTF?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
apparently its a term from getting in the pub just after opening.

On the basis of keeping sayings in their original context can we please stop the business bullshxt of saying " by the close of play ". It's a cricket expression thanks very much!

Also not keen on the saying " it is what it is ". American nonsense that seems to have caught on here.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also not keen on the saying " it is what it is ". American nonsense that seems to have caught on here.

Guilty I’m afraid, great expression for being accepting of something that you can’t change but don’t like. I say that to my wife when she starts banging on about things we can’t change. :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On the basis of keeping sayings in their original context can we please stop the business bullshxt of saying " by the close of play ". It's a cricket expression thanks very much!

We are where we are................

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth :shrug:

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

I ****ing hate It is what it is.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Cheap at half the price as an indication it is cheap at the current price.

Would make more sense if it was cheap at twice the price.

The saying IS "cheap at twice the price". The "cheap at half the price" version is a kind of jokey ironic twist on it, meaning that its not cheap at all.

In fact I quote:
There has been a saying in American English: "Cheap at twice the price." This has traditionally been used to indicate that something is a great bargain. "Cheap at half the price" is a humorous reversal of this statement. It is used to express contempt for the quality or price of an item, or both.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Personal favourites:
(1) You don't have a dog and bark yourself.
(2) Its the tail wagging the dog.
(3) If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The saying IS "cheap at twice the price". The "cheap at half the price" version is a kind of jokey ironic twist on it, meaning that its not cheap at all.

In fact I quote:
There has been a saying in American English: "Cheap at twice the price." This has traditionally been used to indicate that something is a great bargain. "Cheap at half the price" is a humorous reversal of this statement. It is used to express contempt for the quality or price of an item, or both.

cf. "What can I do you for...?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here