Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two minor lapses for me in an otherwise dry month of Jan. Had a couple of beers at the West Brom game - just felt like it - but dry again that evening and until 31 Jan. Train journey from Preston to London that was extended by an hour by overhead wire problems. I was with my boss and we shared a bottle of red and some peanuts.

I suspect I will have a pint or two today but no more. Running training has been going brilliantly with no alcohol. I think a full lifestyle change where I drink less volume, less often is in order but I’ve no desire to be fully AF just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I played canasta last night, and it was a 66th B'day party. . . . Birthday boy polished off more than one bottle of wine, I had 4 small cans of AF beer and drove home. I feel like treating myself to a nice bottle of wine, but don't want to slip up. . May stick to AF beer at home and a glass or two with dinner, but whilst have been 'keen' to down a pint, on occaision, WBA game was hardest, AF has done its job admirably, I am quietly pleased with my middle aged sensibility. I'm turning into a boring old fart!

Well done everyone.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm on Day 181 AF.
1 can of Brewdog's Nanny State last night and a Coke Zero.
A Bovril up at Craven Cottage.
Some good supportive help/stories for each other on this thread from NSC'ers. Good stuff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Day 1 done, did it on a Friday to make it doubly hard, Friday is normally 'excess wine' night. Small victories [emoji106]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Day 1 done, did it on a Friday to make it doubly hard, Friday is normally 'excess wine' night. Small victories [emoji106]

Well done fella! Friday night was also my 'smash it out the ball park wine and beer night' too, so kudos for that one.

It may seem like a long way off now, but days 20-30 absolutely fly by. The first 20, for me, were my body going "hey now.. bloody hang on a minute.. what's going on?" and dicking around with my sleep and mood (which didn't take long to improve vastly).

For the first week, just see this as a test. No commitment to never drinking ever again - just a test of you, and your resolve. Dig your heels in and prove alcohol is your bitch, not the other way round. That's what powered me through the first week or so.

The videos and reading the 'quit-lit' (American saying which made me chuckle) will genuinely help you see the bigger picture, bit by bit. If alcohol was a brand new drug which had just hit the streets, it'd be made illegal immediately. It's a very complex and highly addictive drug at the end of the day, and the only reason the government turns a blind eye is the massive tax revenue it brings in...

Keep going - and we're here on this thread if you want to vent your spleen! :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Coke Zero? There's no need to beat yourself up! a bottle of happy shopper blended whisky is probably better for you!

I'm on Day 181 AF.
1 can of Brewdog's Nanny State last night and a Coke Zero.
A Bovril up at Craven Cottage.
Some good supportive help/stories for each other on this thread from NSC'ers. Good stuff.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I made it through Jan- am going to keep going as it seems to be working for me.

Had a big night out last night and it was interesting seeing everyone else getting tanked- didn’t really feel like a huge issue but there were quite a few that had a go at pushing booze on me and at the end of the night a couple of folk were pretty slaughtered and you definitely see their behaviour in a different light when you’re sober- that part is a bit weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done fella! Friday night was also my 'smash it out the ball park wine and beer night' too, so kudos for that one.

It may seem like a long way off now, but days 20-30 absolutely fly by. The first 20, for me, were my body going "hey now.. bloody hang on a minute.. what's going on?" and dicking around with my sleep and mood (which didn't take long to improve vastly).

For the first week, just see this as a test. No commitment to never drinking ever again - just a test of you, and your resolve. Dig your heels in and prove alcohol is your bitch, not the other way round. That's what powered me through the first week or so.

The videos and reading the 'quit-lit' (American saying which made me chuckle) will genuinely help you see the bigger picture, bit by bit. If alcohol was a brand new drug which had just hit the streets, it'd be made illegal immediately. It's a very complex and highly addictive drug at the end of the day, and the only reason the government turns a blind eye is the massive tax revenue it brings in...

Keep going - and we're here on this thread if you want to vent your spleen! :thumbsup:

Interesting.....did find sleeping a bit intermittent last night but no drama. So far, have to confess I am finding the videos utter cheesy bollocks and can barely watch/listen to them. Didn’t really miss the drink last night to be perfectly honest - at this point my mindset is pretty strong.

Did parkrun this morning, can’t confess it felt much different to the usual partial-hangover Saturday morning effort (5k ALWAYS hurts and feels like shit), but despite ‘wet January’ and two weeks all-inc holiday it was my quickest time for about 18 months so that’s positive too. I’ve got a couple of fairly serious running targets in the calendar to focus on too which are helping with resolve.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I’m doing Dry Jan until March 10th and January was easy. However, today was the first time I’ve had a little wobble, when faced with the mini-bar at the hotel (even though it’s this incredibly sparse minibar)...

ab5251fe5d5cd00427383fbc166fe4cd.jpg

Old habits die hard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a red wine head. This month off the booze thing seems quite attractive

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I’m doing Dry Jan until March 10th and January was easy. However, today was the first time I’ve had a little wobble, when faced with the mini-bar at the hotel (even though it’s this incredibly sparse minibar)...

ab5251fe5d5cd00427383fbc166fe4cd.jpg

Old habits die hard.

Vida... Mahon... Estrella....

I'm not CID, but I'd guess... Spain? ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What’s the view on alcohol free beer on here ? Just interested as to whether those on the wagon think it’s quasi-cheating or not ? One or two of them taste OK in small doses but psychologically feels a little bit like the vaping equivalent for a smoker...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here