Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
agree and pretty much the same needed for a deal right?

No, because the only deal on offer is, and has always been, tied to the Customs Union (whether in NI, the Irish sea or wrapped up in ribbon and re-branded the backstop :wink:) . If we were are not in the customs union, then I agree, but there isn't and never has been this 'good deal' where Britain gets any advantages of EU membership without sticking to the EU's rules and regulations and contributing.

A deal with a customs union would be fairly straightforward. We could trade much as we do at the moment, just with no say in how it operates.

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Well I think we can finally be hopeful of some sanity.

Brexit date pushed back to Jan 31st
General election called
Labour lead a coalition government that renegotiates Brexit sensibly by removing the ridiciculous Tory red lines that made it impossible without damaging the country. So they take us out of the EU thus respecting the referendum result, but keeps us in a customs union thereby securing the GFA.

....and they would also put that deal to the nation in a confirmatory referendum of deal v remain.

....and would campaign for remain.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
....and they would also put that deal to the nation in a confirmatory referendum of deal v remain.

....and would campaign for remain.

I'm uncomfortable with that. I am a remainer but a referendum was held and I think it has to be respected.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm uncomfortable with that. I am a remainer but a referendum was held and I think it has to be respected.

That is (current) Labour policy.

The best we can hope for, I feel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1169014140658159616[/tweet]

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Soames represents a 53.1% remain constituency.
Soames voted against a No Deal Brexit.
Soames is a traitor of the electorate and the people he represents.

:shrug:

To be fair to Johnson/Cummings, in other similar countries when you vote against the ruling party you get taken out; Soames should be thankful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You seem to know what you're talking about. For thickos like me, what happens if the Eurobods refuse to extend?

What and bring his madness to an end, why would they do that?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well I think we can finally be hopeful of some sanity.

Brexit date pushed back to Jan 31st
General election called
Labour lead a coalition government that renegotiates Brexit sensibly by removing the ridiciculous Tory red lines that made it impossible without damaging the country. So they take us out of the EU thus respecting the referendum result, but keeps us in a customs union thereby securing the GFA.

And if the voting system gets changed to something a bit more fit for purpose, then perhaps the billions we've wasted to date might actually have some value. Apart from anything else, perhaps we'd then see both the Tories and Labour split, as neither of them look fit to govern in truth, because certainly in my life time, they both preach "we are a broad church" but they have both shown they absolutely are not - a faction takes control of those parties, bullies everyone else, and it limits the choice of the electorate. It is time for PR - give everyone a voice.

Agree with all of that - as long as Labour changed their leader first.

I could see Starmer or Cooper as potentially leading a coalition, but not Corbyn.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I understand your case for a 'soft' Brexit following on logically from the very tight referendum result, but all 'No deal' leavers are saying that isn't what they voted for and they believe they are in the majority over 'soft Brexit' supporters.

Surely, it's only fair to find out which is the preferred leave option by the democratic majority, rather than assuming which leave we should implement ?

And it can be easily done without splitting the leave vote

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?368879-1st-2nd-choice-Referendum-Poll&highlight=Triggaaar

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, because the only deal on offer is, and has always been, tied to the Customs Union (whether in NI, the Irish sea or wrapped up in ribbon and re-branded the backstop :wink:) . If we were are not in the customs union, then I agree, but there isn't and never has been this 'good deal' where Britain gets any advantages of EU membership without sticking to the EU's rules and regulations and contributing.

A deal with a customs union would be fairly straightforward. We could trade much as we do at the moment, just with no say in how it operates.

post WA/customs union of course. if we started within first few months of invoking article 50, given the known 2 year negotiation plus 2 year transition period, solutions would be in place by the end. the end point of brexit was always to come out of the customs union.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How do you square this circle?

5 Live this morning talking to Welsh farmers.
They were in favour of No Deal Brexit in order to get some closure.
48% tariff on their product meant "well we just won't spend any money for a year or so".

One said:-

'You can't take No Deal off the table as that's part of the negotiation, and will seriously weaken our position'.
'But what would No Deal mean for you?'
'Oh it would be catastrophic'.

I started bleeding out of my eyes.

It’s almost worth no deal for these people.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I understand your case for a 'soft' Brexit following on logically from the very tight referendum result, but all 'No deal' leavers are saying that isn't what they voted for and they believe they are in the majority.

Surely, it's only fair to find out which is the preferred leave option by the democratic majority, rather than assuming which leave we should implement ?

And it can be easily done without splitting the leave vote

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?368879-1st-2nd-choice-Referendum-Poll&highlight=Triggaaar

But they're not in the majority. Ignore the bluster, a referendum was held on whether to take us out. Leave won so we must leave, and they must leave the detail to parliament. If parliament decides (as looks increasingly likely) that the only way to leave without fundamentally damaging the nation is to remain in a customs union, then that is what must happen. If the idiots in the Brexit party don't like it, they can carry on fighting until we saw our legs off. Similarly, if the LibDems don't like it, they can carry on campaining on a policy that seeks to get us back in. But one thing is clear - I think the electoral system has been shown up as unfit for purpose during this debacle.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But they're not in the majority. Ignore the bluster, a referendum was held on whether to take us out. Leave won so we must leave, and they must leave the detail to parliament. If parliament decides (as looks increasingly likely) that the only way to leave without fundamentally damaging the nation is to remain in a customs union, then that is what must happen. If the idiots in the Brexit party don't like it, they can carry on fighting until we saw our legs off. Similarly, if the LibDems don't like it, they can carry on campaining on a policy that seeks to get us back in. But one thing is clear - I think the electoral system has been shown up as unfit for purpose during this debacle.

Certainly agree with that :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
post WA/customs union of course. if we started within first few months of invoking article 50, given the known 2 year negotiation plus 2 year transition period, solutions would be in place by the end. the end point of brexit was always to come out of the customs union.

You may well think that. I suggest others may disagree

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here