Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers all.

I'll have a think about all of it. I really want to do Beachy Head and will probably enter that soon-ish. As Dazzer says it would be good to keep my marathon fitness and spend some time trying to work out how to sort out these persistant cramp problems. I'm going to add the nerve flossing to my regular pre-hab routine. Lunar-tic sounds like a good one and certainly not put off by running in the dark, sounds fun. I am also aware that I need not to get dovorced though.

Exceptionally pleased that no one said "Worthing 10K" [emoji38]ol:
I did a 10k (well, seven miles) this morning and loved it! Mind you, it was tail, not tarmac. I think STE is doing the 7 in 7 and 5 in 5 things again soonish, if you want a marathon to keep things ticking over.

I guess River Arun (11th May) is too soon?

There are certainly loads of events out there....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’m having a Steve Ovett time at the moment; a spell of weakness and finding nothing there. Was short of breath again today at Prom Parkrun at 7:30 pace. Ridiculous. Couldn’t cycle up to Western Road after. I won’t try and run my way out of this slump. Most unusual but will listen to the body.

When you mentioned having a Steve Ovett time I thought 'oh no, the old bugger has only gone and done a mile in 3.54.7'!

Listening to the body is something that all old buggers should do (and, no, I don't either). Cheers: you'll bounce back soon.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
2 useful websites.

Twice this week I've had a chat with local runners who didn't know of the existence of 2 really useful websites So just in case others fall into this category here they are:

http://www.sussexraces.co.uk/ - this one gives pretty much all the upcoming events for the calendar year and all the results for events for the last year.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/ - this is brilliant and is a record of events - and every competitor - in eligible events (including Parkruns). It's sister site is Run Britain and will give even more details. Not only can you 'enjoy' looking at your own record but you can also look at athlete profiles from friends and (for sad gits like me) rivals. The big problem is that I'm not sure how you register - I seem to have wandered on there without actually doing anything; it could be that you are already on it without knowing.

Anyway: happy hunting on both.

PS if anyone has got Netflix then checkout 'The Barkley Marathons...……..'. I think I can guarantee that you'll love it: hard core running at its hardest.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
2 useful websites.

Twice this week I've had a chat with local runners who didn't know of the existence of 2 really useful websites So just in case others fall into this category here they are:

http://www.sussexraces.co.uk/ - this one gives pretty much all the upcoming events for the calendar year and all the results for events for the last year.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/ - this is brilliant and is a record of events - and every competitor - in eligible events (including Parkruns). It's sister site is Run Britain and will give even more details. Not only can you 'enjoy' looking at your own record but you can also look at athlete profiles from friends and (for sad gits like me) rivals. The big problem is that I'm not sure how you register - I seem to have wandered on there without actually doing anything; it could be that you are already on it without knowing.

PS if anyone has got Netflix then checkout 'The Barkley Marathons...……..'. I think I can guarantee that you'll love it: hard core running at its hardest.

Power of 10/Run Britain are good - although a lot of, for example, trail races don’t appear. It’s only events that have a UKA licence I think.

My coach has just got back from the Barkley this year......had a chat with him about it last week. Difficult to describe how hard it is - the first loop (marathon) took him about 12 hours (for perspective he’s been in the GB 24hr ultra team and has a marathon PB of 2.40). No-one managed more than 2 loops this year. If you’re interested it’s the main topic on the latest Ultra podcast which is basically a chat between him and Brighton’s Dan Lawson (who has just done a 650km race across Jordan)

https://www.britishultrarunningpodcast.com

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I've been an infrequent poster but an avid reader of this thread.

Long story short: I sustained a fracture to my fibula following a motorcycle accident in October 2018. I was running with respectable regularity up to that fateful day, and spending several months incapacitated was hard.

Over the last 6 weeks I've got going again with a vengeance. Boy, have I missed it! There was a bit of discomfort at first, but by (re)building steadily I've managed to avoid overdoing it.

Bought a Garmin Forerunner 235 earlier this week, and have inevitably fallen deep into a healthy obsession with my exercise statistics (working for one of the world's largest data science firms - SAS - meant this was always going to happen!).

My times aren't setting the world alight, but in this warm weather I'm reasonably happy with:

5km: 23m 01s
10km: 48m 48s

Plenty of room for improvement, and I'm keen to see what's possible for someone who's 45 in August.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Long story short: I sustained a fracture to my fibula following a motorcycle accident in October 2018. I was running with respectable regularity up to that fateful day, and spending several months incapacitated was hard.

Over the last 6 weeks I've got going again with a vengeance. Boy, have I missed it! There was a bit of discomfort at first, but by (re)building steadily I've managed to avoid overdoing it.

Bought a Garmin Forerunner 235 earlier this week, and have inevitably fallen deep into a healthy obsession with my exercise statistics (working for one of the world's largest data science firms - SAS - meant this was always going to happen!).

My times aren't setting the world alight, but in this warm weather I'm reasonably happy with:

Plenty of room for improvement, and I'm keen to see what's possible for someone who's 45 in August.

Welcome - best thread on NSC (as you'll know). That's a really good base to be starting from - those times are ace..........link your garmin to Strava and join the NSC Group on there. Always good to see what everyone is up to :) Obviously get to parkrun as well Hove Prom or Hove Park will usually mean you can meet some of this lot. Will help your 5k times no end......

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

For some of us on this thread birthdays ending in 0 or 5 are rather welcome: your Age Grading will be more forgiving and you move up into a new Age Category full of older gits than yourself.. And of course you can still improve your times anyway. Funnily enough I checked this morning and my 5k is more or less exactly the same as it was 11 years ago. You have decades of great running in front of you: enjoy!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A rare appearance in the NSC distance covered this weeks, unless someone puts in a late charge.

Some time of work and no football being the main contributors to my all time highest weekly mileage of 42.8 miles. It also got me to 400 for the year so nicely on track for an annual best too.

3 runs in Norfolk over the weekend all along Marriott’s Way which is a runners dream. 40 miles of flattish off-road which used to be an old railway line. Heavily shaded too which was nice in this weather.

Hoping to get to the East Grinstead 10 on May 4th if not the Worthing 10k is already booked. I’m guessing very few are doing it from here?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Got my 12 miles in this morning down at beautiful Bolton Abbey. Felt a bit of a slog but I’m putting this down to having done a lot of walking and cycling, along with yesterday’s parkrun, this week in Yawkshire.
Two weeks to go, getting excited!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can't wait for Wednesday as the wind is changing to the south and a bit of rain is coming. I'm hayfevered to my eyeballs. Can hardly breathe. Happens for 1-2 weeks around this time every year since I turned 52. Running is out of the question. Would have stopped me doing BM, so that was lucky.

To cheer myself up I have come out of marathon retirement and entered Brighton next year. Too many on this great thread doing it in 2020 to miss out.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Anyone else absolutely love running in warmer weather?

As a bigger chap I find temps above 20/22 degrees really forces me to be on pace and bizarrely knowing that any faster and I couldn’t run stops the psychological block of wanting to go faster and pushing too far.

Did an easy 3.5 miles yesterday around midday and will up it to 6 miles today or try to.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
2 useful websites.

The Barkley Marathons Netflix doc is such a brilliant film! I'd also recommend "Where Dreams Go To Die" on YouTube documenting Gary Robbins in his two attempts at the Barkley in 2016 & 2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZdsqbcGTU

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Power of 10/Run Britain are good - although a lot of, for example, trail races don’t appear. It’s only events that have a UKA licence I think.

My coach has just got back from the Barkley this year......had a chat with him about it last week. Difficult to describe how hard it is - the first loop (marathon) took him about 12 hours (for perspective he’s been in the GB 24hr ultra team and has a marathon PB of 2.40). No-one managed more than 2 loops this year. If you’re interested it’s the main topic on the latest Ultra podcast which is basically a chat between him and Brighton’s Dan Lawson (who has just done a 650km race across Jordan)

https://www.britishultrarunningpodcast.com

Wow James Elson is your coach?! I listened to him on the podcast with Dan Lawson the other day. It was brilliant! So interesting to hear him tell his story from this year. It sounded absolutely brutal. Any inside knowledge on how James was able to apply? ???

I'd also recommend listening to the Bad Boy Running podcast (if you haven't already) when they managed to get an interview with Laz in February. It's in 2 parts. Very funny!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't wait for Wednesday as the wind is changing to the south and a bit of rain is coming. I'm hayfevered to my eyeballs. Can hardly breathe. Happens for 1-2 weeks around this time every year since I turned 52. Running is out of the question. Would have stopped me doing BM, so that was lucky.

To cheer myself up I have come out of marathon retirement and entered Brighton next year. Too many on this great thread doing it in 2020 to miss out.

Welcome back out of retirement!

Hope you clear up soon. I managed 8 miles this morning but having brought a cold back from Devon they were 8 miserable, laboured, ploddy miles. The only thing more frustrating would be not being able to go out at all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Barkley Marathons Netflix doc is such a brilliant film! I'd also recommend "Where Dreams Go To Die" on YouTube documenting Gary Robbins in his two attempts at the Barkley in 2016 & 2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZdsqbcGTU

Well that's the last time I complain about my 4.00.06 :lolol:

Unbelievable to watch, fascinating and terrifying. Great vid, thanks for sharing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow James Elson is your coach?! I listened to him on the podcast with Dan Lawson the other day. It was brilliant! So interesting to hear him tell his story from this year. It sounded absolutely brutal. Any inside knowledge on how James was able to apply? ???

I'd also recommend listening to the Bad Boy Running podcast (if you haven't already) when they managed to get an interview with Laz in February. It's in 2 parts. Very funny!

Yes.....has been for about 4 years now. I signed up with him when I first decided to have a crack at a 100 miler. No way I’d have ever done it without the advice and plan from him, he’s excellent. I probably don’t really need him as much these days but I love the ease of not ever having to think about what to do - just set a goal race and he works towards that. Only ever plans in detail up to 10 days or so ahead (although the training blocks are set further out), and is flexible around other stuff that gets in the way etc. We chat 1-2 times per month (or more if I want) and he’s always available through messaging. It’s not cheap but I’ll keep going as long as I can afford it. The advice I’ve had has been invaluable (not just on the training plan but hydration, nutrition, kits, tactics, psychological stuff etc). Dan Lawson won the Albion marathon in November.

I can ask Jimbo about the application process if you’re interested ? I know it’s very convoluted and difficult. Think there are only 40 runners each year, with 20 vets and 20 virgins. He had a place last year but had to defer.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When you mentioned having a Steve Ovett time I thought 'oh no, the old bugger has only gone and done a mile in 3.54.7'!

Listening to the body is something that all old buggers should do (and, no, I don't either). Cheers: you'll bounce back soon.

Pedantry alert. 3 mins 48.4 secs he got for the mile. Coe took it down a second shortly after.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A 4 mile plod in the afternoon sunshine for me today, followed by cooling off in the kids paddling pool - having fixed a puncture it had this morning. A nice way to finish a run.

In fact I've had a rather pleasant running week, having spent most of it on a narrow boat. It is very relaxing being able to jump off and run along a nice flat route knowing that you can finish whenever you like and just wait for the transport to turn up!

I've also signed up for next year's Brighton Marathon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here