Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jurgen Locadia season-long loan to Hoffenheim

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
I always hoped there was more to come from Locadia......He finishes well (bar Saturday) but I think his downfall is that he is not a team player. He does not like to put a shift in and that causes issues elsewhere.

Potter & co see him in training and if they are happy to let him go then that's good enough for me

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Should send AliJ,but with his targetting ability,he would end up in Prague.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It’s looking like GP is in agreement with what many on NSC have been saying since he signed. Those of us who championed him look like being proved wrong. There are times you have to hold your hand up :down:

I would have expected AJ to be shipped out before Locadia personally :shrug:

Me too - but I think last night showed why not. Firstly, AJ was definitely up for it - he was probably trying TOO hard at times, but he put in a shift and made things happen. On the other hand, I'm never really sure if Jurgs is that interested. Secondly, Connolly looks pretty nippy, and is more likely to fit in with Potterball. My only concern with Connolly is his size. But actually, having just checked, he appears to be the same height as Mbappé....

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
This would annoy me because one of the criticisms the club put about at the time of Hughton getting sacked, was that he hadn’t played our big money signings. Now if Locadia goes out on loan then surely the same criticism should be leveled at Potter. How can Hughton be in the wrong for not playing Locadia, but its fine for Potter to get rid of him? To be clear, I’m not having a pop at Potter here, I’m having a pop at the club because I think it’s a double standard. The bottom line is, rather than blaming Hughton for the failure for big money signings to step up to the grade in the Prem. Maybe the club should have a good hard look at it’s recruitment policy.

Um, Locadia had started under Potter. So your argument is invalid. The recruitment department have largely got things right.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Me too - but I think last night showed why not. Firstly, AJ was definitely up for it - he was probably trying TOO hard at times, but he put in a shift and made things happen. On the other hand, I'm never really sure if Jurgs is that interested. Secondly, Connolly looks pretty nippy, and is more likely to fit in with Potterball. My only concern with Connolly is his size. But actually, having just checked, he appears to be the same height as Mbappé....

Not true. Mbappe isn't small, Connolly is tiny. Kids a brawler and a baller though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This would annoy me because one of the criticisms the club put about at the time of Hughton getting sacked, was that he hadn’t played our big money signings. Now if Locadia goes out on loan then surely the same criticism should be leveled at Potter. How can Hughton be in the wrong for not playing Locadia, but its fine for Potter to get rid of him? To be clear, I’m not having a pop at Potter here, I’m having a pop at the club because I think it’s a double standard. The bottom line is, rather than blaming Hughton for the failure for big money signings to step up to the grade in the Prem. Maybe the club should have a good hard look at it’s recruitment policy.

Did they? I don't recall there being specific criticisms of Hughton released by the club. It was typically respectful, that performances fell short etc. but I don't remember them saying he hadn't played the signings enough - AJ in particular featured and started most of our games in 2019.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Did they? I don't recall there being specific criticisms of Hughton released by the club. It was typically respectful, that performances fell short etc. but I don't remember them saying he hadn't played the signings enough - AJ in particular featured and started most of our games in 2019.

There was definitely talk about failure to play / get the best of the players we'd bought in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are we going to name a 25 man squad?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The fact that maupay wasn’t even on the bench last night and Murray played the full 90 says all you need to know namely that maupay will be our starting striker for the foreseeable future

Agree. With Andone out, I think Gross and Mooy both starting last night were both playing for who will play in the pocket behind him. I can see Potter going a bit more defensive Saturday, with a player more suited to drop into midfield.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I would rather we kept him as I think that he will score goals and all the bull that he was crap when hje cam on against Southampton is a view expressed by those who dont rate him, but not fact. The shot that hit the post could just haveeasily hit the post and gone in and we would all be sayin g how he took it well. I think that he tried to be too sure and the moment went.

He will never score goals as a striker.
He cant jump and cant head, thats 35% of a strikers goal chances gone.
He isnt fast enough on his feet, he lumbers, I'd lay money that Murray could beat him over 100 yards.
He does'nt think fast enough, he takes 15-20 seconds to work out what to do. Good strikers do things in an instant.
On Saturday he was in a good position to the right hand side of the penalty box, and by the time he thought out what to do, a Saints defender robbed him.
Then when he hit the post, he was also standing in an offside position, he took too long to decide to go for the shot and shanked it.
I thought, watching the Valencia game and the Watford game, when the started quite brightly that he might of turned the corner. There is an old saying about growing into the game as the match progresses, I'm afraid with Jurgen, he go the other way and fades away.

Loan him now and demand the loaning club use the option to buy. Ta Ta Jurgen

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not sure if anyone knew or knows what Locadia’s best position is though. We had Murray banging in the goals and therefore if he was going to replace him, he would have to play the out and out hold up striker, which on all evidence, even when he came in was not his game. His second touch was invariably a tackle and we never saw the best in him( but what was his best? )

I think it is one that we put down to experience and evidence that spending stupid money doesn’t get you always what you wanted.

There was definitely talk about failure to play / get the best of the players we'd bought in.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

100% agree. The number of respected journalists who mentioned CH "not getting the best out of new signings" was such that someone was clearly briefing the press to that effect. I fully support Potter, he sees these guys every day but his unwillingness to use Locadia and Ali J is revealing of what has thus far proven to be £30m+ wasted. No doubt this explains the shift towards UK based signings. We've had our fingers burnt too many times in Holland, time will tell if some recruitment bods follow CH out the door.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
He isnt fast enough on his feet, he lumbers, I'd lay money that Murray could beat him over 100 yards.
He does'nt think fast enough, he takes 15-20 seconds to work out what to do. Good strikers do things in an instant.
On Saturday he was in a good position to the right hand side of the penalty box, and by the time he thought out what to do, a Saints defender robbed him.
Then when he hit the post, he was also standing in an offside position, he took too long to decide to go for the shot and shanked it.
I thought, watching the Valencia game and the Watford game, when the started quite brightly that he might of turned the corner. There is an old saying about growing into the game as the match progresses, I'm afraid with Jurgen, he go the other way and fades away.

Loan him now and demand the loaning club use the option to buy. Ta Ta Jurgen

Nailed it

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009

It's a fair point but maybe they (the Club) thought that a second opinion on these expensive players may be less costly than simply getting rid and may potentially bear fruit. Makes sense that if they wanted a change in playing style/attitude they would appoint GP and ask him to have a good look at certain players whilst reassuring him that if he also thought they weren't up to it, they would support him in overhauling the team bit by bit

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I disagree with all of that and I am sure GP would.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
100% agree. The number of respected journalists who mentioned CH "not getting the best out of new signings" was such that someone was clearly briefing the press to that effect. I fully support Potter, he sees these guys every day but his unwillingness to use Locadia and Ali J is revealing of what has thus far proven to be £30m+ wasted. No doubt this explains the shift towards UK based signings. We've had our fingers burnt too many times in Holland, time will tell if some recruitment bods follow CH out the door.

But ... but ...but Potter started Locadia at Watford and brought him on against Southampton. I'm not sure that counts as not using him.

That said, I'd be all in favour of loaning him out. He's just using up valuable bench space if he stays, because his fee will put pressure on the coaching staff to play him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I'm amazed that there's been nobody in the recruitment team moving on 'by mutual consent'. The failure to strengthen the first team last season was abysmal despite the tens of millions of quid pissed up the wall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here