Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I vaguely recall a large food store (Co-op?) in St James Street- split level, with a large deli counter. Was fascinated as a kid, watching the meat slicer, and big blocks of cheese being cut up.

It was a traditional Sainsbury’s. I assume it closed in the 70’s.
https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placestree/st_jamess_street-2/st-jamess-street-7

I miss Rounder Records in Brighton Square. A huge source of obscure vinyl imports from the States and the continent, they did really well out of me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This ... getting fitted for my footy boots ... Didnt just try to sell you any old pair actually took pride in trying to sell you what suited you best regardless of price . Often recommended a cheaper pair if suited you better
More profit on the cheaper pairs probably.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The old Virgin Megastore on Western Road. Damn, that felt cutting edge to the 11 year old me.

image.jpg

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For Eastbourne oldies

Skater City - used to drool over Kryptonic wheels, ACS trucks and Pace decks.

Wimpy - In terminus road. Sod the burgers but glorious memories of the childhood treat of the Brown Derby ice cream and donut dessert. Gave the bender sausage an innocent miss :)

Imagination in Seaside - went all casual in my college days and spent silly money on Pringle, Kappa and Pierre Cardin jumpers. Slip on loafers with white socks ergh! Looked more like Ronnie Corbett or a golf pro than a pwoper nawty football top boy

Baker & White - school gear when the pressure racked up to look cool in the 5th year. Black Harrington jacket, Oxford bags ( huge flares with ridiculous long pocket) and tan brown doc Martens with the yellow stitching.

Haughtons joke shop - fine emporium of blackjack soap, stink bombs and black eye binoculars

Frank Price menswear - huge sliding doors with pressure mat activation. Every kid under 10 used to stamp on them with no intention of going in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not a shop but
the frock and jacket pub
Disgrace it shut
Lege dj sets.
Cafe rouge my arse.

Loved the Frock and Jacket on Lanes pub tours in the 80’s.

Some bloke with faux martial arts skills once tried to us attack us there, he lost, including (comedy) knocking a copper’s old fashioned Sussex Police helmet off with one of his wild haymakers.

Warner Edwards

Aug 2, 2017
Choccywoccydoodah
Milkshakes at Virgin Records
Rounders Records
The original Body Shop in Bond Street
Casey Jones at the station

Casey Jones - I loved that place in the mid 80s

I'll add Selina Squirrel toy shops from when I was a kid (early 70's) they had one on Whitehawk Broadway opposite the Co - op
The Madam Tussauds near the pier with the great torture window display
The turnstiles at the marina when it was first built otherwise you had to pay to get on :-D
Sun sports in Preston Street where i spent close to a months wages on a skateboard in 1985
Stunning rags - I think they were near the botton of Queens Road originally and then moved to Western Road ( I may be wrong). Good clubbing gear and also Le Shark polo shirts and Lois Cords
Wisdens Sports in Dukes Street - Good for some Adidas Forest Hills to go with your electric blue Lois cords and Le Shark polo shirt :-D
Habib's Kebab shop at the top of Preston Street,
Shakies bar and grill near the bottom of St James Street - perfect after club food on the way back to Whitehawk.
The Cranbourne pub, not a shop but I have great memories of the place

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bradshaws.....London Rd & Patcham Village. Anyone else remember at Patcham junior school in the 50's of some lessons at the old school? The walk over from Warmdene Rd to the old village was always heightened by passing all those shiny new bikes in Bradshaws window. There was a newsagent next door & round the corner was Penna's the barbers. Can't remember any other shops....over to you?
RE the aforementioned walk:
Barclays Bank on the corner by the garage where the tythe barn used to be.
Then the butchers with the woman in the window to pay for your meat
Peter Tamblin the barber in half a shop where I used to get my short back and sides
The dairy
Weeks the electrical shop
The drapers on the corner before crossing the road to
Gills the sweetshop with Matchbox cars in the window
Attwoods the hardware shop with the grumpy owner who would sell you paraffin for your can
Cracknells the greengrocers
Tomlinsons the grocers with old Tommo in his brown coat. Sticks of LIQUORICE and dirty potatoes in brown paper bags his speciality.
Other side of the road had Ogdens the bakers on the corner who sold traffic light biscuits and pink madeleines with other cake treats.
Then Graveleys, the VG type shop reminds me of excitedly buying a quarter of Brooke Bond tea and eagerly taking it home for the tea card slipped inside the wrapper.
The parade of new shops came later, so then it was up the bank to clamber along the chalky path by the allotments and down the other side to gaze in to Salmons the newsagents. Don't recall the other shops round to London Road school apart from my GP Dr Saxton who treated my chicken pox. Back along towards Patcham Place for a field trip was Clapsons then the old Post Office.
Hope that jogs a few memories from PATCHAM in the late 50s early 60s.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here