Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Anyone on here work for Virgin Media

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Virgin Media were initially absolutely shocking for me. I joined Virgin by necessity when I moved into my current flat as they are (frustratingly) the only company to offer high-speed broadband to my block. It took ELEVEN visits over the course of eight weeks to get it working - in a building that has dozens of other flats already up and running fine.

Engineers blaming each other (it's an internal issue, no it's an external issue, no it's an internal issue etc etc etc), and their departments not talking to each other ("you might have told the helpdesk that the last engineer took the box away with him, but nobody told me so I haven't bought you another one").

Since then I've not had too many issues and each has been resolved relatively quickly & easily, apart from the time the helpdesk told me the computer said the broadband was down because of planned works and was expected to be up and running again in 26 years (are you sure that doesn't mean 20:45 rather than 2045...? :lolol: )

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Best broadband, which is really annoying because they have the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Like so many others, it seems, I've been with Virgin and all it's ancestors since Nynex dug up Worthing all those years ago. Have to say I've never had an issue that wasn't resolved quickly. One engineer even left his direct mobile number so I could speak to him personally if what he had just fixed failed again in short order. It didn't, and that was a very long time ago. I'm not saying fellow posters are not suffering bad service, quite obviously they are, but I can only speak as I find.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
You never had a talktalk account then............................

They're my ISP. They're marginally better, on grounds that when my internet went down whilst working from home once, they compensated me 20% of my bill that month for a loss of service for 2-3 hours.

Meanwhile, I pay O2 for my airtime bill and in areas they report as "4G coverage", I never receive 4G coverage, an issue that has been going on for 3 months and yet to see compensation to reflect the actual service I had been receiving.

Don't get me wrong, talktalk can be awful. But O2 are fighting for 1st place, and they're winning so far.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think to sum it up up they all have the potential to be utter *****, my experience with VM is fairly good, been with them 9 years and I did have BB issues last year almost monthly but touch wood all has been good now, the engineers bless them want to get in and out ASAP so if you’re a last call of the day you may find a plaster placed firmly over an issue.... allegedly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They're my ISP. They're marginally better, on grounds that when my internet went down whilst working from home once, they compensated me 20% of my bill that month for a loss of service for 2-3 hours.

Meanwhile, I pay O2 for my airtime bill and in areas they report as "4G coverage", I never receive 4G coverage, an issue that has been going on for 3 months and yet to see compensation to reflect the actual service I had been receiving.

Don't get me wrong, talktalk can be awful. But O2 are fighting for 1st place, and they're winning so far.

Interesting - O2 coverage for me at home is absolute crap - rarely get 3G, let alone 4G. Talktalk were the absolute pits when I used them as my ISP though.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Blimey - my BT broadband was out for a month and they offered me £1.97 in compensation. I was still expected to pay the bill in full even though there was no service.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
We’re getting absolutely bombarded with Virgin offers in Burgess Hill since they spent months digging up every single pavement in the town and installing fibre. I’ve heard almost nothing but bad news about their service - especially when things go wrong - so I just used their spamming to negotiate a new deal with Sky (who, to be fair, have been brilliant whenever I’ve had a problem - new box normally delivered and installed within a day or two if any issues).

As a BH resident I'm toying with swapping just my broadband to the recently installed Virgin Fibre as the speeds I get on my Sky broadband are awful, and there seems to be nothing Sky can or will do about it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As a BH resident I'm toying with swapping just my broadband to the recently installed Virgin Fibre as the speeds I get on my Sky broadband are awful, and there seems to be nothing Sky can or will do about it.

Yeah - that was the only thing that possibly tempted me to switch.............problem for us is the exchange 'box' for our close is about 600 yards from the house, so it's copper wire from there apparently which kills the speed a fair bit whereas Virgin would be fibre all the way to the house and they were promising 250Mbps. I upgraded to Sky 'pro' which made a big difference and didn't cost much more - now typically get D/L speeds of 60-70Mbps (was more like 20 before the upgrade) which is easily fast enough for anything I need (VCs for work being the main reason I upgraded as use this a lot)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Yeah - that was the only thing that possibly tempted me to switch.............problem for us is the exchange 'box' for our close is about 600 yards from the house, so it's copper wire from there apparently which kills the speed a fair bit whereas Virgin would be fibre all the way to the house and they were promising 250Mbps. I upgraded to Sky 'pro' which made a big difference and didn't cost much more - now typically get D/L speeds of 60-70Mbps (was more like 20 before the upgrade) which is easily fast enough for anything I need (VCs for work being the main reason I upgraded as use this a lot)

Thanks will check out the Sky pro option as well in that case, whenever I do tests on speed it tends to come out anywhere between 6 and about 12 which is pretty crap when trying to live stream anything (such as Red Zone during the NFL season) and it breaks up all the time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks will check out the Sky pro option as well in that case, whenever I do tests on speed it tends to come out anywhere between 6 and about 12 which is pretty crap when trying to live stream anything (such as Red Zone during the NFL season) and it breaks up all the time.

Think it's 'Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro' - just run a test out of interest and it's 78Mbps on wired PC and 60Mbps on wifi (Ipad). They'll discount the cost if you call them and threaten to move to Virgin who are making you offers (they wouldn't previously as they knew we didn't have the option)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Left Talk talk a few years ago to go to Virgin and not regretted it once. Talk talk make VM look like the most professional outfit going.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You never had a talktalk account then............................
The hour long phone calls to their call centre in the Philippines to get advice to turn it off and turn it back on again are a particular high point in dealing with that company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here