Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sian Massey

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
All this guff about sexism and misogyny only proves my point. If that was a male assistant ref he wouldn’t be officiating in such a high profile game next week, he’d be running the line at Southend or Morecambe...but because it’s a lady, she’ll be doing a PL game. She won’t be sanctioned because she is lacking a knob and it’s all about inclusion rather than aptitude these days.

Marvellous isn't it. She has probably had to battle against sexism and misogyny her whole career, probably always consistently had to clear a higher bar than her male colleagues to progress in her career, and now that she's made it, a pioneer, you've decided that actually she's under-qualified and just been placed there for 'inclusion' - and you do that whilst simultaneously proving the point that she gets singled out and held to a higher standard than her male colleagues.

Well done my man, well done.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't care about her tits, it was just a shocking decision regardless.

Montoya had run from VERY deep at pace, it looked a duff call as I watched it on TV in realtime, and thats how it turned out. He'd covered a lot of ground by the time Stephens played the pass, he'd timed his run perfectly and was at least half a yard on, you could see a couple of blue shirts on the far side were dropped back. I'm not saying its easy, but thats exactly what she's there to watch, she just made a really, really poor call on it. And it nearly cost us.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you have run the line at any level and tried to do a proper job - keeping up with the last man, looking for active/inactive you would know how bloomin' difficult it is. I am always amazed at how often the assistants get it right.

Respect to the Assistants!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If you have run the line at any level and tried to do a proper job - keeping up with the last man, looking for active/inactive you would know how bloomin' difficult it is. I am always amazed at how often the assistants get it right.

Respect to the Assistants!

This, with brass knobs on, oh damn, should I say knobs... ok, this with brass fannies on! Shit now i’ve made it worse.

Basically I agree!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only issue in that offside decision is why VAR wasn't there to help her. If people think that was an easy decision to make in any way, shape or form in real time, then I suggest they have a go at being a linesman themselves as they clearly have absolutely no idea.

Furthermore, the fact that we've also got a whole thread dedicated to her performance based on one mistake yet I don't ever remember a whole thread dedicated to a male linesman / assistant referee on here really does reflect badly on us as a fan base and a message board.

As I replied to Westdene Seagull, I started one about the male lino against Leicester who guessed several decisions. It was a smaller thread because it was a smaller game, not because Sian Massey is female.

People remember her because she’s female AND famous. When there are three, four, five or six female assistants no one will remember all their names either. However, we all remember the refs that have done us down from Ron Challis to the Shyster.

Kavanagh has now been added to that list and was why I started the VAR thread.

You shouldn’t be beyond criticism because you’re female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
If they had been using VAR, she wouldnt have flagged for offside anyway. Linos are told not to for borderline decisions and the VAR referee would have alerted the referee if it was offside

That is only a Champions League/World Cup rule. When we use VAR for some randomly chosen games in our cup competitions in this country, the linos are instructed to flag as normal.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That is only a Champions League/World Cup rule. When we use VAR for some randomly chosen games in our cup competitions in this country, the linos are instructed to flag as normal.

If that is correct then you can never use VAR to decide offside. Defenders could quite rightly say I saw the flag go up, I know play to the whistle, but you imagine the uproar. Don't think this would have been the case on Sunday as no one had time to react to the flag.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just posted this on the VAR thread but it's worth a cross-post. [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] pointed out that Kavanagh, Massey-Ellis and Dan Cook often officiate as a team. So for those inferring sexism here is the Leicester thread I started:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?368392-West-Side-Linesman&highlight=Linesman

Guess who the official team was? That's right, Kavanagh, Massey-Ellis and Cook.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/915452

Four page thread confirming poor decisions all round. I was on the south west corner flag right at the front so had a bird's eye view of Cook's awfulnesss, and that's what I focussed on, despite the presence of Massey-Ellis. However, within a few posts of page one it is pointed out that she was guessing every offside decision.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Just posted this on the VAR thread but it's worth a cross-post. [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] pointed out that Kavanagh, Massey-Ellis and Dan Cook often officiate as a team. So for those inferring sexism here is the Leicester thread I started:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?368392-West-Side-Linesman&highlight=Linesman

Guess who the official team was? That's right, Kavanagh, Massey-Ellis and Cook.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/915452

Four page thread confirming poor decisions all round. I was on the south west corner flag right at the front so had a bird's eye view of Cook's awfulnesss, and that's what I focussed on, despite the presence of Massey-Ellis. However, within a few posts of page one it is pointed out that she was guessing every offside decision.

I don't buy it, if this team really were as useless as some appear to believe they would be disbanded. Clearly those who make the decisions don't think so...

Referees are routinely assessed and I assume the same goes for assistants. Fans have bias against individual officials for a variety of reasons. Truly crap ones would not have got to the level they are at, or for that matter stay there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't buy it, if this team really were as useless as some appear to believe they would be disbanded. Clearly those who make the decisions don't think so...

Referees are routinely assessed and I assume the same goes for assistants. Fans have bias against individual officials for a variety of reasons. Truly crap ones would not have got to the level they are at, or for that matter stay there.

When was the last time a referee got 'relegated' for dreadful decisions, and why should Leagues 1& 2 have to put up with incompetent referees?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
When was the last time a referee got 'relegated' for dreadful decisions, and why should Leagues 1& 2 have to put up with incompetent referees?

As I said, any ref or assistant that was "dreadful" wouldn't have got to the level of the professional game, or stay there if they did somehow despite their awfulness.

The "best" players play in the Premier League (largely), ergo the best officials officiate in the top division. That doesn't make League 1&2 refs incompetent...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
As I replied to Westdene Seagull, I started one about the male lino against Leicester who guessed several decisions. It was a smaller thread because it was a smaller game, not because Sian Massey is female.

People remember her because she’s female AND famous. When there are three, four, five or six female assistants no one will remember all their names either. However, we all remember the refs that have done us down from Ron Challis to the Shyster.

Kavanagh has now been added to that list and was why I started the VAR thread.

You shouldn’t be beyond criticism because you’re female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She isn't beyond criticism because she's female - just that the criticism in that situation regarding that call is idiotic for anyone that knows anything about football and officiating. And well done for starting a thread about male assistant referees too - you're a hero - funny how you've not named the male lino in your reply here.

And she's famous because she's a female AR making her way in a male dominated game. She's not a female and famous. They're different things in this regard because the first one is related primarily to her gender and in the latter instance the two are not related.

Personally I remember her because she continues to be the focal point of people on there message boards every time she gets one decision wrong. I can't honestly tell you I remember a single male lino name in the league and you've not even named the male lino in your reply here. That tells me everything I need to know about your overall point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I said, any ref or assistant that was "dreadful" wouldn't have got to the level of the professional game, or stay there if they did somehow despite their awfulness.

The "best" players play in the Premier League (largely), ergo the best officials officiate in the top division. That doesn't make League 1&2 refs incompetent...

It was telling that there wasn't one English referee at the World Cup last year, and when did you last see an English ref doing UEFA games?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Not sure how you explain The Complete And Utter Shyster then. Everyone knows he's crap and yet........
[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] is also correct, the regard English officials are held in world wide is not great.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It was telling that there wasn't one English referee at the World Cup last year, and when did you last see an English ref doing UEFA games?

It isn't telling at all. The referee that had been chosen moved to a different league mid season after they'd done all of the training for the officials. It was too late in the day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
She isn't beyond criticism because she's female - just that the criticism in that situation regarding that call is idiotic for anyone that knows anything about football and officiating.

I'm Level One Coach qualified and run the line every week in under 12s.

And well done for starting a thread about male assistant referees too - you're a hero - funny how you've not named the male lino in your reply here.

Dan Cook - named twice in subsequent posts on two threads.

Personally I remember her because she continues to be the focal point of people on there message boards every time she gets one decision wrong. I can't honestly tell you I remember a single male lino name in the league and you've not even named the male lino in your reply here. That tells me everything I need to know about your overall point.

As I said, Dan Cook.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here