Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Penalty Shoot Out Heros

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I don't like Ryan's technique much tho, TBH (yesses, I know he saved one), all this bouncing around trying to put off the taker. Surely better to have your weight balanced on both feet, and try to judge which side it's going. Any keepers on here with a view? Am I being harsh? ��

Try explaining that to Jurzy Dudek the Liverpool keeper in the 2005 champions league final.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The best thing about the penalties was Dunk scoring what turned out to be the winning penalty.

Imagine how many Palace fans were watching, waiting for him to miss. Only for him to step up and slot in the best penalty of the shootout. I bet they were f*cking livid.

I don't like Ryan's technique much tho, TBH (yesses, I know he saved one), all this bouncing around trying to put off the taker. Surely better to have your weight balanced on both feet, and try to judge which side it's going. Any keepers on here with a view? Am I being harsh? ��
Yes. There's a significant psychological element in penalties, so anything a keeper (especially one the size of Maty :)) can add to the process might be of benefit.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Try explaining that to Jurzy Dudek the Liverpool keeper in the 2005 champions league final.

Well yes, you're right there, I guess there are examples both ways. Thank goodness that lino didn't spot Ryan was 3 metres off his line when the final pen was missed!!! (Yeah, I know they all do it)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

You can do your best, research the taker for his tendencies and try to predict if he is going to go to the right as he did for the 4 of his last 5 penalties, or is this going to be like that 1 in 5 that went to the left? You can try mind games - leave a larger gap one side to entice him to shoot that way, or to make him think you want him to shoot that way so he will go to the side with the smaller gap which is what you want, or dance around to make him think he has to get it close to the frame and risk missing. If you wait and try to judge which way he's aiming, you run the risk of not having enough time to get down and make the save, but conversely, if you wait as long as possible to make it clear which way you're diving, you make it more difficult for the takers who like to wait until they know which way you're going, causing him to fumble his shot. Sometimes all that goes out the window, you pick a side, the kicker picks a side and if you go the same way that is the outcome.

Ultimately, that last bit is probably what it all boils down to: luck or fate or happenstance - whatever you want to call it, whatever the motivation tyou each pick a side and hope. Moreso with shoot out penalties (which are usually more difficult to prepare for, there isn't a lot of evidence to give you an idea of what Dunk, March or Stephens's penalty habits are.

So it is about whatever you are comfortable with as a keeper. Maty has a decent record with penalties, so while I would agree that the dancing isn't for me, it seems to be something that works for him.

Last edited:

DavePage

The best thing about the penalties was Dunk scoring what turned out to be the winning penalty.

Imagine how many Palace fans were watching, waiting for him to miss. Only for him to step up and slot in the best penalty of the shootout. I bet they were f*cking livid.

They didn't see it, they were busy enjoying our apparent loss down at their local milk bar

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Yes you are being harsh

Ryan has a fairly good record on penalties and don't forget he saved two in a shoot out for Australia in the Asia Cup back in January.

Personally I don't care what the keeper does as long as he saves one

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Cheers for the feedback, Acker. I will focus more on those techniques when watching future penalties... although the emotion gets too much when it's the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes you are being harsh

Ryan has a fairly good record on penalties and don't forget he saved two in a shoot out for Australia in the Asia Cup back in January.

Personally I don't care what the keeper does as long as he saves one

It was a superb save. He didn't just stop the shot, he kicked it out.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All the penalties were good, except Stephens which a better keeper would have had. Even Murray's was a centimeter or two from being an excellent penalty.

We have a very good record at penalties.

I’m just happy Stephens didn’t pass his sideways. It went in. Job done. And congrats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here