Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Nelson

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In what way?

I had a pint of hophead in the Mawsons Arms last week - the pub attached to Fullers brewery and it was nothing like old hophead. Not sure many hops had been through it!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I had a pint of hophead in the Mawsons Arms last week - the pub attached to Fullers brewery and it was nothing like old hophead. Not sure many hops had been through it!

Hophead is brewed out of Chiswick now I believe so that doesn't surprise me.

APA has changed for the worse as well but I'm lead to believe that is due to the availability of the hop used in.

They still know how to make a good beer though.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Fullers have ruined Dark Star. Be interesting to see what the evening standard do as I’ve heard they’ve noticed a drop in quality

No great surprise to be honest, often happens when one of the big brewers takes over a small independent. Fullers themselves may change now that they have beenbought out by a Chinese conglomerate.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No great surprise to be honest, often happens when one of the big brewers takes over a small independent. Fullers themselves may change now that they have beenbought out by a Chinese conglomerate.

*Japanese

But yes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hophead is brewed out of Chiswick now I believe so that doesn't surprise me.

APA has changed for the worse as well but I'm lead to believe that is due to the availability of the hop used in.

They still know how to make a good beer though.

For availability read cost-cutting.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Brighton beer dispensary is definitely worth a look.

I second the evening star

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Near me the Roundhill has been done up well, but more of an eating place than drinking, vegetarian and vegan if that floats your boat. Best improved pub is The Jolly Brewer, Ditchling Road taken over by a couple of guys who have transformed it. That have an eclectic taste in music and have themed nights celebrating different styles of music. Reminds me of pubs years ago. Similar atmosphere to the Hand in Hand which I think the owners may have a link to.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Near me the Roundhill has been done up well, but more of an eating place than drinking, vegetarian and vegan if that floats your boat. Best improved pub is The Jolly Brewer, Ditchling Road taken over by a couple of guys who have transformed it. That have an eclectic taste in music and have themed nights celebrating different styles of music. Reminds me of pubs years ago. Similar atmosphere to the Hand in Hand which I think the owners may have a link to.

Oh, yes, the Hand in Hand, forgot about that. What a delight. Hasn't had a makeover but, frankly, who cares?

Warner Edwards

Aug 2, 2017
The Daddy Long Legs in Kemp Town (previously The Bush) has been done up well, popped in to try it just before christmas and have probably been back about 10 times since.

Another vote for the Nelson too, they do a great german lager in there.

Tried to go to the Park View in Preston Drove tonight but turned up to find it surrounded by scaffolding as part of a major refurb, hope they don't ruin it.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
M
The Daddy Long Legs in Kemp Town (previously The Bush) has been done up well, popped in to try it just before christmas and have probably been back about 10 times since.

Another vote for the Nelson too, they do a great german lager in there.

Tried to go to the Park View in Preston Drove tonight but turned up to find it surrounded by scaffolding as part of a major refurb, hope they don't ruin it.

Thought it was still open during the works.

My fave is a The Welly...just because it doesn’t change or improve

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Was going to recommend the William but as you have tried it I wont bother.
Prancing Tiger - now Brewdog
Jury's out - now BierHaus
New craft beer pub in St. Jimmy's street, the Cloakroom, and very nice it is too.
Seven stars, just reopened after full refit, not tried it yet but looks good.
If you haven't been in town for a while have you tried the Walrus? If not, it's a must.
Bison beer have a new bar in North road, bit small but good ale.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I see The Hamptons is now called Easy Tiger.
Craft beer and Indian Street Food.
Probably very Brighton but worth a try?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Still a Harvey's house I trust? Is the Basketmakers still there, used to be a Gales pub where one could enjoy a cheeky HSB or several?

I used to drink HSB in the North Laine in 1979/80, but couldn’t remember the pub name. Having had a look st the website, and Google maps, I’m pretty sure it was the Basketmakers. Is that possible - was it serving Gales’ beers then?

If so, a trip down memory lane beckons...

Pray that never happens to Harvey's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here