Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of football really is a joke

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Many on here still defend it though

It's all context isn't it? 7 ton for your kid to walk on the pitch at the Stadio de Black Mamba is excessive, OTT and clearly taking the piss. 250 for tickets, food, kit and being a mascot? That's not bad value matched against kids parties elsewhere and the cost of a kit and match tickets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Many on here still defend it though

I think the Albion have it right, but I appreciate that I write that from a position of privilege in that I've paid for my daughter to be a mascot and will do the same for my son. I'm fortunate that I am able to do that.

Parents who want to do this, can do so, meanwhile all kids in the Young Seagulls have a chance of being randomly selected to have the same experience for free.

So, on any given matchday, there will be kids whose parents have shelled out hundreds of pounds sharing the same experience as kids whose parents haven't spent a penny. Who are the winners?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It's all context isn't it? 7 ton for your kid to walk on the pitch at the Stadio de Black Mamba is excessive, OTT and clearly taking the piss. 250 for tickets, food, kit and being a mascot? That's not bad value matched against kids parties elsewhere and the cost of a kit and match tickets.

Pages and pages of comments, but this is what it boils down to. When compared to other options for treating little Johnny on this birthday, our regular package (rather than captain's) comes out at a fair price. Kid and parents get something of the order of £200 in merchandise, seats and refreshments. Lil'J gets the day of his life and all for about £250. If you take a classload to the cinema or laserquest, you will be facing a similar bill.

Yes money brings access to things that others cannot have. Such is the world we live in.

Could the club afford to stop charging for this..? once Uncle Tony has been given all his money back (about 10 more years in the PL I figure), yes. Absolutely we can.

Can we afford to go back to free tea and coffee in 1901 at halftime (I know it was funded by the caterers, but they were still paid by the Uncle Tony)..? once Uncle Tony has been given all his money back...

Free scalves and hats at every game? once Uncle Tony has...

Sir Lord His Majesty Bloom has generously (and with no small degree of success) funded this particular leg of our club's journey. He deserves some of that back. If that means monetising a few things here and there. So be it. It's unfortunate for everyone who cannot afford to pay for the things they want, but TB doesn't *owe* us anything. He is not obliged to give free stuff. HE HAS GIVEN ENOUGH ALREADY! Be thankful for what you have and stop asking for handouts!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could the club afford to stop charging for this..? once Uncle Tony has been given all his money back (about 10 more years in the PL I figure.

Sir Lord His Majesty Bloom has generously (and with no small degree of success) funded this particular leg of our club's journey. He deserves some of that back!

It’s a misconception that TB will be not contributing to the Albion in the PL.

Last season he lent the club more cash than he did in the promotion season in the Championship.

8D2B32D1-A5AA-491C-8244-31CEF846FC13.jpeg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Last season he lent the club more cash than he did in the promotion season in the Championship.

View attachment 103622

I just took the top line "profit" as being simplistic, but I think the logic still stands.

Everything that people want for *free* ultimately isn't free, someone is paying and in our case it's TB.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Pages and pages of comments, but this is what it boils down to. When compared to other options for treating little Johnny on this birthday, our regular package (rather than captain's) comes out at a fair price. Kid and parents get something of the order of £200 in merchandise, seats and refreshments. Lil'J gets the day of his life and all for about £250. If you take a classload to the cinema or laserquest, you will be facing a similar bill.

Exactly. I think most (certainly many) of those complaining about the cost don't actually have kids themselves and/or haven't looked at the detail.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not with an angle towards the above debate, do you think that 2017/18 could generally be the last PL season in which TB has to top up club coffers?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not with an angle towards the above debate, do you think that 2017/18 could generally be the last PL season in which TB has to top up club coffers?

I think it should decrease in a season or two once the club's player trading becomes more balanced. Whilst we are a net buyer and there are significant infrastructure (FC) costs then he will continue to be ridiculously benevolent.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
have you ever known a Jewish business man to give his money away for free ?
regards
DR

There are many philanthropic businessmen, of all (and no) religions. I think TB is the perfect example of a businessman looking to give something back to the community. He has given so so much without ever asking for it back one day or wanting interest on his investment. His investment is very definitely structured to be a "gift" if that's what it ends up being.

I have said in previous posts that I think he *DESERVES* something back, not that he *WANTS* something back.

Whether the comment was in jest or serious, it is pretty crass to suggest that TB is anything but a most generous benefactor to the club we all love. Anti-Semitic comments are absolutely unjustified, even in jest.

Jan 30, 2008
There are many philanthropic businessmen, of all (and no) religions. I think TB is the perfect example of a businessman looking to give something back to the community. He has given so so much without ever asking for it back one day or wanting interest on his investment. His investment is very definitely structured to be a "gift" if that's what it ends up being.

I have said in previous posts that I think he *DESERVES* something back, not that he *WANTS* something back.

Whether the comment was in jest or serious, it is pretty crass to suggest that TB is anything but a most generous benefactor to the club we all love. Anti-Semitic comments are absolutely unjustified, even in jest.
I never said he wasn't generous and I wasn't being anti Semitic ?
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here