Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Where to go in Tenerife?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
To be honest, the more I look at Google satellite and street view, the less I want to go to Tenerife. :(

It's either purpose-built resorts or huge apartment blocks.

Is there anywhere on the island with any traditional character? ???

You don't go to Tenerife for character do you? I go there because its 22-27C in feb and the beer is
2 euro a pint.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
You don't go to Tenerife for character do you? I go there because its 22-27C in feb and the beer is
2 euro a pint.

True, main thing is sun and a change of routine. But there are still good and bad places.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
True, main thing is sun and a change of routine. But there are still good and bad places.

Off the beaten track - Tenerife has some absolute gems. Might take a long walk or a bus ride - but most days I'm afraid
I'm a pool,.beer o'clock, shower, food and wine/beer <repeat next day> person. Lord, that makes me feel so shallow. :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I have a house there and spend all winter there. There are some tat places like most but an awful lot of good to see and do. Puerto De La Cruz is better than most and I assume you will be renting a car (this is by far the best place to get it from, right in airport and no nasty shocks when you return https://autoreisen.com/car-hire/car-hire.php

Plenty to explore around the Oratava valley and along the coast towards Garachico (twee in a Tenerifian way) and Buenavista (great fish restaurant by 14th/15th green of golf course or that vicinity). Santa Cruz is well worth a visit as is La Laguna. Around the coast towards the south airport go to El Medano (very cool beach and people watching) and Candelaria which has a really nice square and walks off.

Good walking in Masca ... if you dare drive the roads up there, and Teide National Park

Great whale watching from Los Gigantes (small ones not Moby Dicks!!)

If wine's your thing several vineyards around Arona which do tours at weekends

Download this .. it's a selected dozen drives around the island which will take you to some really very nice places that you wouldn't discover otherwise ... think it's about a fiver http://www.realtenerifeislanddrives.com/

The vast majority of tourists pay £300 for a week, get to see Americas and Christianos, spend all week pissed up on cheap beer and cheap food, come home and slag it off :)

We bought there 4 years ago and it's been a real eye opener, anyone who says it's a ****hole hasn't got under the skin of it.

Happy holidays

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be honest, the more I look at Google satellite and street view, the less I want to go to Tenerife. :(

It's either purpose-built resorts or huge apartment blocks.

Is there anywhere on the island with any traditional character? ???
That's exactly what people who've been to Tenerife have told me it's like TBH. Why not go to somewhere beautiful in southern Spain like Granada or Seville? Admittedly they seem to be cooler than they normally would at this time of year, but should pick up in the next week or two. Or Malaga for that matter, it's a fantastic city with loads of history, thousands of good restaurants and a decent beach - and you can fly from Exeter. I much prefer it to Barcelona and it's cheaper too.

malaga-707x472.jpg

Last edited:

Aug 26, 2011
I went to Tenerife a few years ago (admittedly on a stag do) and vowed never to go back.
Literally everyone had some dodgy agenda.. It was like, walk out of the hotel.....'Do you want Coke, hash, sex, a balloon filled with gas etc etc etc'
'Don't go to the beach alone after dark' and all that malarky!
Everyone seemed like a criminal on the run from the UK.
That being said it was a right laugh and yes I did go to the beach alone after dark....hard core I know....and passed out on a central reservation of a dual carriage way. Great times!

I'm sure (hope) your experience will be different??!?!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Avoid Bahia Principe Costa Adeje.
Spanish friends who enjoy the good life swear by the Grand Melia Palacio de Isora. Pricey but worth every penny.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Try and watch a CD Tenerife game if you can, Alex Mula (on loan from Malaga) is an exciting player to watch. The north of the island is definitely less touristy, I needed a car to really get around though despite how small the island is.

You’re not allowed to post on holiday and tourism until you have 50 posts. Read the sign up conditions and show some respect please.

Fade to Bruno

Apr 3, 2018
Surrey
You’re not allowed to post on holiday and tourism until you have 50 posts. Read the sign up conditions and show some respect please.

You’ve edited your post now to say read the sign up conditions. Please advise where these sign up conditions are, I can’t see any thread with rules on for new users, even in the help section. It’s not disrespectful to reply to someone and offer advice, this has nothing to do with respect.

To imply I’m being disrespectful when I wasn’t aware of such a rule if it does exist. If does exist what kind if a rule is that? Does 50 posts suddenly make my opinions any more valid than at 3 posts? Or how about 15,000 posts? Does that make my advice any more worthy? What an incredibly rude welcome to the forum!

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I have a house there and spend all winter there. There are some tat places like most but an awful lot of good to see and do. Puerto De La Cruz is better than most and I assume you will be renting a car (this is by far the best place to get it from, right in airport and no nasty shocks when you return https://autoreisen.com/car-hire/car-hire.php

Plenty to explore around the Oratava valley and along the coast towards Garachico (twee in a Tenerifian way) and Buenavista (great fish restaurant by 14th/15th green of golf course or that vicinity). Santa Cruz is well worth a visit as is La Laguna. Around the coast towards the south airport go to El Medano (very cool beach and people watching) and Candelaria which has a really nice square and walks off.

Good walking in Masca ... if you dare drive the roads up there, and Teide National Park

Great whale watching from Los Gigantes (small ones not Moby Dicks!!)

If wine's your thing several vineyards around Arona which do tours at weekends

Download this .. it's a selected dozen drives around the island which will take you to some really very nice places that you wouldn't discover otherwise ... think it's about a fiver http://www.realtenerifeislanddrives.com/

The vast majority of tourists pay £300 for a week, get to see Americas and Christianos, spend all week pissed up on cheap beer and cheap food, come home and slag it off :)

We bought there 4 years ago and it's been a real eye opener, anyone who says it's a ****hole hasn't got under the skin of it.

Happy holidays

Great stuff, thanks! :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here