Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Frau has a landmark birthday coming up in June and we’re planning to spend the weekend in Paris. We need a centrepiece restaurant for the big day; anyone have any recommendations? Criteria is classic cooking, fancy/special but not too formal, both getting into wine so something interesting on this front. We haven’t booked any accommodation so it can be anywhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Miller & Carter, for example:

Rib Eye 16oz is £26.50 or £1.65 per oz
Sirloin 10oz is £22.95 or £2.30 per oz
Rump 8oz is £16.95 or £2.12 per oz

Crazy really, it's the way they display the pricing that catches people out
Is it a con or do people buy according to their taste preference. If I can get it, which is not very often, I prefer a Porterhoue irrespective of price.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Not managed to write up until now but went to Lino in London on the back of this https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...dge-of-modernity-restaurant-review-jay-rayner

First things first, I have a lot of respect for Rayner and was looking forward to it on the back of his comments saying put this among his top places of 2018.

Went for early evening with a friend as had a meeting in town up until shortly before and upon walking in was very impressed with the size, it felt very spacious and roomy however had a good buzz (even for a mid-week in January). This is not starred and that was apparent from the outset in a nice way (I like fine dining but sometimes you just want a bite with a friend with it not too stuffy)

Straight in to the mains and I had Flank Steak and chips which at the time felt was just OK however looking back for a 'simple' dish at £21 was very good indeed. Flank was recommended to be cooked med-rare (I normally go for Blue to Rare depending on the cut) which was incredibly tasty and was well cooked. My friend had the hot-pot which he said was OK but not the best dish he ever tried.

We then moved straight in to desserts after what was an overall good but not great main. Wow. This is where the place came alive. I had a warm chocolate mouse which was so velvety it almost floated away, topped with a chocolate crisp and milk ice cream finished with quince. This was amazing and something I would love to eat again, my friend had earl grey tart and lemon sorbet. As someone who isn't a fan of earl grey he seemed to enjoy it!

Overall with a couple of drinks it must have been somewhere around £35-£40 p/h and I would suggest others go to if you are in that part of town, especially to have a dessert.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is it a con or do people buy according to their taste preference. If I can get it, which is not very often, I prefer a Porterhoue irrespective of price.

Rather than "con" I'd say it's selective marketing, they are clearly trying to sell particular cuts as the price variation isn't in line with the normal per oz price of each cut. Rather like Tesco's et al moving the sweets from check out counters to stop kids pressuring parents into buying sweets, and replacing them with magazines and football cards!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Frau has a landmark birthday coming up in June and we’re planning to spend the weekend in Paris. We need a centrepiece restaurant for the big day; anyone have any recommendations? Criteria is classic cooking, fancy/special but not too formal, both getting into wine so something interesting on this front. We haven’t booked any accommodation so it can be anywhere.

As much as people may tell you "You've got to go to The Buddha Bar", you haven't, worst eating experience I've had on a City break. https://www.buddhabar.com/en/restaurant-bar-buddha-bar-paris-20#

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

ASPIC and Epicure both fit those criteria.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

If you're into seafood, La Coupole might fit the bill. Haven't been there for a few years but can't have changed much. Shared the "Imperial Banquet" with a mate, about 50 euros each at the time and probably more now but a truly memorable experience. It's basically an enormous pile of ice with an incredible array of seafood dotted all around. I'm quite into my molluscs but there was stuff on there I've never seen before, along with lobster, crab, a dozen oysters etc etc. Oh, and Jean-Paul Gaultier was at the next table. How peak Paris is that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're into seafood, La Coupole might fit the bill. Haven't been there for a few years but can't have changed much. Shared the "Imperial Banquet" with a mate, about 50 euros each at the time and probably more now but a truly memorable experience. It's basically an enormous pile of ice with an incredible array of seafood dotted all around. I'm quite into my molluscs but there was stuff on there I've never seen before, along with lobster, crab, a dozen oysters etc etc. Oh, and Jean-Paul Gaultier was at the next table. How peak Paris is that?

I love seafood. Noted.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Not technically a restaurant but quite noteworthy is that the Chinese takeaway called Tasty at Fiveways is extremely serviceable. I am not a fan of Chinese food as a rule as it’s usually too greasy but this was really good as worth a go. They don’t have a card machine or anything so watch out for that but the two lady cooks seem to know exactly what they are doing and it’s excellent value too.

Excellent take away from Tasty tonight. Much better than the standard gloop. My ‘go to’ now I think

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Cap’n Jasper burger from a large static caravan down on the quay. No contest.

Capn Jasper is a one off. Excellent. There is also the most unpretentious fish restaurant Platters (not a fish and chip shop) just round the corner great locally caught fish cooked in a range of ways. Bit cramped but a real buzz

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Excellent take away from Tasty tonight. Much better than the standard gloop. My ‘go to’ now I think

We tried Tasty last Saturday after the rave reviews on here and selected items from both the Chinese and Thai offerings, sadly we felt it was below average.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
7Bone - Hove

Finally got here and I have to say pretty good.

Both had different burgers, all very well cooked and cheesy chips and a couple of dips. Good atmosphere and well cooked burgers with decent fries so would definitely recommend a visit.

8/10

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bills [MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]

Silly KO time so lunch first with Mrs Hut.

Not a bad chain in my view, starters of Pork and Sesame Dumplings and Crumbed Halloumi Sticks - very palatable in my view.

Mains, Steak and Eggs and Eggs Benedict and Chips - once again, well cooked and very presentable.

Would go again, £60 including tip 8/10

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bills [MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]

Silly KO time so lunch first with Mrs Hut.

Not a bad chain in my view, starters of Pork and Sesame Dumplings and Crumbed Halloumi Sticks - very palatable in my view.

Mains, Steak and Eggs and Eggs Benedict and Chips - once again, well cooked and very presentable.

Would go again, £60 including tip 8/10

Bills seem a strange operation in many ways, a chain yes, but l have eaten at both the Horsham and Lewes branches within the last year or so, and the menus for each one were rather different. The food itself was quite good, portions though weren't huge, but the bills, (excuse the pun), certainly were.

Having said that, the dishes that you consumed for lunch yesterday all looked very good, and the bill looked even better. Maybe l will give them another try sometime soon.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]. Off to St John soon. Other than the marrow and parsley, anything I should look out for if he’s doing it that day?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]. Off to St John soon. Other than the marrow and parsley, anything I should look out for if he’s doing it that day?

Lucky you!

Good question.

Starters: Obvs bone marrow. And the crispy pig skin and dandelion is great; it’s one of his classics. I love sardines and went giddy when I once saw them on his menu. I’m not sure what else to recommend really, there’s so much which is classic, simple but brilliantly executed.

For mains their pies are stunning, very rich and typically steak or game plus trotter. But they’re always for two so you need to be huge, solo and super hungry... or with a willing partner. f@ggots with cabbage and leeks in a mustardy based gravy/sauce was exceptional as well. I once went a little bit hung over and coldy, and it was pissing down and crap outside. I had the f@ggots and a glass of red and everything in my world was quickly perfect. The beef mince on dripping toast is also recommended.

I also go for things like kidneys and mash, liver and also had grilled ox heart a couple of times although I’m not sure I’d recommend these. Again, simple but brilliantly executed.

Oh man. Writing this has made me hungry and quite envious. Look forward to reading about your visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here