Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Went to the coach and horses in Danehill yesterday and it blew my socks off. Absolute wonderful gastro pub fayre. 9/10

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to Bincho Yakitori last night with Mrs Rolls. We rocked up 10 minutes after they had opened and ended up with the worst seat in the house. However the food was nothing short of superb and I could rave about meat, fish and vegetarian dishes. We were both knocking back plum wine, but there is a broad sake menu and a small but interesting beer list. Service is a little eratic, the restaurant is small and tucked away on the East side of Preston Street and only opens evenings.

If you are put off by a menu that includes chicken skins or chicken hearts this probably isn't the place for you. If Korean chicken wings excite you (these ones certainly should), or Wagyu Beef, fresh mackerel, Korean cauliflower - this place is recommended.

Can you book or did you end up with the bad seat due to a queue at opening time?

This really sounds like my kind of place. Many years ago I lived in Tokyo and my good friend [MENTION=97]Toronto Seagull[/MENTION] introduced us to a yakitori joint with no bookings and shared tables that was rammed every single night. In summer people queued way out of the door for a table and they brought beer along the queue :thumbsup:

This sounds like just my sort of place. I have a good mate who loves Japanese and lives quite near there and I'd definitely give the skins and hearts a go.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Can you book or did you end up with the bad seat due to a queue at opening time?

This really sounds like my kind of place. Many years ago I lived in Tokyo and my good friend [MENTION=97]Toronto Seagull[/MENTION] introduced us to a yakitori joint with no bookings and shared tables that was rammed every single night. In summer people queued way out of the door for a table and they brought beer along the queue :thumbsup:

This sounds like just my sort of place. I have a good mate who loves Japanese and lives quite near there and I'd definitely give the skins and hearts a go.

Yes you can book - I didn't think it would be necessary at 17:40, but the place was soon full.

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Yes you can book - I didn't think it would be necessary at 17:40, but the place was soon full.

Been to Bincho 3 times and love it! Reasonable prices, varied menu and they catered for my veggie friend's chilli + nut allegry without any fuss. Highly recommend the veggetable dishes as well as the skewers. The sweet potato skins and the asparagus wrapped in pancetta were delicious. They are also very responsive on Twitter if you need to book, just tweet them up on @BinchoYakitori

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just been to Semolina for lunch. Had their set, which is great value at £15 for three courses. All these were well executed, without being particularly exciting, but it's cracking value. I would expect them to raise their game for the 'Bistro' (in other terms, A La Carte) menu, which is mid-teens for mains, but not entirely convinced that there's the technique in the kitchen to do so. I will give it a try at some point, and will certainly go back for lunch, but there are a few other places I want to try before going for an evening meal.

Jul 7, 2003
Has anyone had the Burger Kult offerings in the Mash Tun recently and if so, are they any good? Looking for somewhere different to have beer and burgers next week rather than the usual suspects (Troll, Forty Burgers, BBD).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My youngest and I were up in London yesterday and after walking the canal from King's Cross to Little Venice we wandered back via Soho and ate at Honest Burgers in Meard Street. I can say, hand-on-heart the best burgers we've ever had at a sit down place. They don't have a huge selection but what they do is just phenomenal. £11 for a burger and chips which isn't too pricey at all. And I'd also recommend the mint lemonade drink. The staff were genuinely friendly too. With drinks it came to just over £30 for the two of us and we were stuffed. Highly recommended.

Jul 7, 2003
Went to Burger Kult at the Mash Tun last week with friends. The patty itself was nothing special and nowhere near as good as Burger Brothers or Trolls Pantry. The toppings though are very good and well balanced with something to suit most tastes. The chips are good and the service was good as well. If they could improve the burger they could challenge some of the others for best Brighton burger.

As I have mentioned the Troll, today was his last Street Diner and he is also moving out of the Hobgoblin soon. He is going back to his street food roots and may also be diversifying away from Burgers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So, need a new occasion restaurant as it's my first wedding anniversary coming up and Little Fish Market is closed for their annual refurb.

Am leaning towards The Set but would appreciate any other recommendations. Coal Shed, Salt Rooms and Chilli Pickle are up there as alternativae already. 64 degrees possible but you only get an hour and half in there and are pretty rushed out.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went to Burger Kult at the Mash Tun last week with friends. The patty itself was nothing special and nowhere near as good as Burger Brothers or Trolls Pantry. The toppings though are very good and well balanced with something to suit most tastes. The chips are good and the service was good as well. If they could improve the burger they could challenge some of the others for best Brighton burger.

As I have mentioned the Troll, today was his last Street Diner and he is also moving out of the Hobgoblin soon. He is going back to his street food roots and may also be diversifying away from Burgers.

Doing kebabs at the Polygon this Saturday which will be worth a look. His last event there was really good.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So, need a new occasion restaurant as it's my first wedding anniversary coming up and Little Fish Market is closed for their annual refurb.

Am leaning towards The Set but would appreciate any other recommendations. Coal Shed, Salt Rooms and Chilli Pickle are up there as alternativae already. 64 degrees possible but you only get an hour and half in there and are pretty rushed out.

Gingerman on Norfolk Square still good?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Gingerman on Norfolk Square still good?

Went to the Coal Shed the other day and still as fantastic as ever. Oysters to start were great. The only downside is that they've replaced their side dish of Mac 'n' Cheese, which was wonderful, with Cauli Cheese which isn't as good.

As for another recommendation, you appear to be keen on fish so The Urchin might be a good shout. Never been there ( plan to do so soon ) but it has great reviews.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, done the Urchin. It's pretty good but very much a pub setting.

Gingerman tasting menu with wine flight at 80 quid a head seems like good pricing.

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Hi Guys,
Just a few recommendations from me:

MAW - It's a fine dining pop-up restaurant in The Lanes, Brighton Square. Just here for just a couple more weeks I believ and really worth the £45pp price tag. The set menu feels equal to that of Isaac At over on Gloucester Road. Photos and details of the food all covered over on my blog here: http://foodieeshe.com/review-maw-pop-up-restaurant/

Bincho Yakitori - I know it's been mentioned on the thread already, but just thought I'd share my review of it here. Really is a must go. Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese street food and around £3-£7 a dish. Small restauarant, no fuss pressenation - just great flavours. Review here: http://foodieeshe.com/review-bincho-yakitori/

Finally, if anyone has a nut-allergy I did a little test on a few food spots in Brighton to see how informed their staff were on food prep with my cousin who has a nut allergy, here's the round up of the 5 places we checked tested out. La Choza came out tops, with "no nuts on the premise", the male waiter there also have great service, much better than I've had before there! Review here: http://foodieeshe.com/nut-allergy-friendly-restaurants-brighton/

Also hearing good things about Semolina - that's next on the visit list!

Fingers crossed for tonight :albion2:

Eshé

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Hi Guys,
Just a few recommendations from me:

MAW - It's a fine dining pop-up restaurant in The Lanes, Brighton Square. Just here for just a couple more weeks I believe and really worth the £45pp price tag. The set menu feels equal to that of Isaac At over on Gloucester Road. Photos and details of the food all covered over on my blog here: http://foodieeshe.com/review-maw-pop-up-restaurant/

Bincho Yakitori - I know it's been mentioned on the thread already, but just thought I'd share my review of it here. Really is a must go. Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese street food and around £3-£7 a dish. Small restaurant, no fuss presentation - just great flavours. Review here: http://foodieeshe.com/review-bincho-yakitori/

Finally, if anyone has a nut allergy I did a little test on a few food spots in Brighton to see how informed their staff were on food prep with my cousin who has a nut allergy, here's the round up of the 5 places we checked tested out. La Choza came out tops, with "no nuts on the premise", the male waiter there also have great service, much better than I've had before there! Review here: http://foodieeshe.com/nut-allergy-friendly-restaurants-brighton/

Also hearing good things about Semolina - that's next on the visit list!

Fingers crossed for tonight :albion2:

Eshé

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
just discovered Azaro Dhaba in Church Road yesterday. What a revelation, although apparently been open a couple of years. Great lunch thali and lovely people, very friendly.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Set

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here