Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Carbon Footprint Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I installed 4kW of solar panels on my roof in Jan-18.

When the sun shines, I'm doing my bit, but at night I'm a bad 'un like the rest of you ....

Interesting.

I’ve been thinking about this but wonder if the investment is now worth it.

FIT has now stopped on new installs, so any excess kW generated is given to the grid for free, unless you install battery storage (currently expensive). If you do install battery storage and still have excess generated capacity then this could be used to charge an EV or be used to heat water via an immersion, hence cutting down on gas consumed to heat water.

There is a new SEG payment (FIT replacement) proposed to be introduced in 2020 but there appears to be some doubts about this now.

Reduced VAT on installations is being stopped in October, and will increase to 20% from the current 5%.

I know what our monthly electric consumption has been over the past number of years so can estimate our daily usage to size a system. I guess I could have a stab at estimating any RTI, with a view to the % increase in electricity costs in the coming years, and a possible % reduction in gas charges to heat water.

With the push to “cut back” and “be greener” the government is not helping consumers to invest in renewables and reduce their consumption from the grid and hence reduce the ageing national generation infrastructure (nuclear/gas etc.) I know elements of this are being replaced by wind/solar and national battery infrastructure. Would be interesting to hear the views of any solar installers on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION], I hope you didn't think I was suggesting you were 'buttoned up', I was referring to you being sartorially instructed on a visit to the Amex!:thumbsup:

:lolol:

Join the queue behind Frau Tubthumper and all the others

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oh! Let's play "Climate change thread bingo"!

[ ] Why should I do anything when China/India don't bother?
[ ] Somthing negative about Greta Thunberg
[ ] Climate change scientists have an agenda
[ ] Vegans
[ ] Why hasn't the council collected my recycling in two weeks?

Where's the option for Brazil's Burning

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You've got a 16 year old telling politicians "Don't listen to me, listen to the scientists". I would much rather that young people listen to someone like Greta than most so-called "role models" of today.

Yeah if I need to choose I pick Greta above Miley Cyrus and that sort of devilish bullshit. But I dont to choose.

I really do think you underestimate teens if you think they literally are all now running around Sweden in a worried panic thinking theirs is an imminent death due to being fried by the sun. FFS.

I didnt say that. "All", "running around", "worried panic", "imminent death", "fried by the sun" - you got great imagination but I said none of that.

Why do you keep saying young girls? Boys as well as adults are listening.

When the boys and the adults start staying home from the school where I study writing because of their depression from eating doomsday propaganda, I will start to worry about the boys and the adults as well. I promise.

Maybe they should be left to the influence of media pop culture and the peer pressure associated with that ? Is that less obvious or serious ?

No, the influence of pop culture is far worse and the constant access (smartphones) is the number 1 reason for declining mental health, especially among young women. Doesnt make Doomsday-Greta great though.

I’m sorry [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]. But I feel you have a very skewed idea about teenagers.

Its hard to take anything you say serious when you a) put a lot of words in my mouth and b) have no arguments whatsoever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didnt say that. "All", "running around", "worried panic", "imminent death", "fried by the sun" - you got great imagination but I said none of that.

Its hard to take anything you say serious when you a) put a lot of words in my mouth and b) have no arguments whatsoever.

FFS. I didn’t suggest you said any of those exact words. It was a comedic take on your vision. I think the vast majority of viewers will have grasped that because 1) they can easily compare your post to mine in the quote and 2) .....sigh. Do I really need to explain

But, nice deflection.

D

Deleted member 2719

I see. Lack of foreign travel.... explains your views on Brexit.

Joke.

Not at all, I believe we don't need to pay them billions when we are astute enough to spend it in a way which is more important to Britain.

I have no real need to spend my children's inheritance on emitting tons of carbon when you can, live in the sunny microclimate that is Chichester, and save the planet for my children.

No Joke!

Of course, you could pay your guilt away.

I would rather plant trees and not chuck out tons of carbon.:hilton:

https://www.clevel.co.uk/flight-carbon-calculator/

Example to Malaga:

Attachments

• Carbon 2.PNG
    Carbon 2.PNG
    48.3 KB · Views: 97

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'll continue to ride around on 55-60 year old scooters and equally old cars . . . . nothing screams massive carbon footprint like a new car, especially as they're all made of ****ing plastic!706ebpRHS.jpg

D

Deleted member 2719

I'll continue to ride around on 55-60 year old scooters and equally old cars . . . . nothing screams massive carbon footprint like a new car, especially as they're all made of ****ing plastic!View attachment 115481

The weird thing is the new Liberals don't get that, they probably don't realise that precious metals need to be mined and transported halfway around the world to create the CAT like palladium and rhodium to name a few.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We’ve done this very recently.

1) Reusable cup at the coffee shop. It’s shocking to think how many cups I have contributed to landfill.
2) Meat free two days a week.
3) Don’t own car
4) Reuse as much as possible.
5) Buy quality items and products which last, or can be refurbished or recycled.

So how do you get to the matches from Berlin? Do you fly? . . .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nice scooter, shame about the West Sussex sticker though :whistle:

Original paint, and hand painted No plates, from new. A Worthing bike, I got it in 1996. Saved it from mod hell!

The windbreak/screen is a recent bit of fun. As is the sticker. Being a Shoreham boy, left/right east/west pffft. It's all central to me!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Original paint, and hand painted No plates, from new. A Worthing bike, I got it in 1996. Saved it from mod hell!

The windbreak/screen is a recent bit of fun. As is the sticker. Being a Shoreham boy, left/right east/west pffft. It's all central to me!

It's very nice, what are the LI stickers?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So how do you get to the matches from Berlin? Do you fly? . . .

Good question. Yes I do fly. Life is about choices. Each person introduced to the western world adds, on average, 60 tonnes per year to the climate. One child is the same as a return flight from Berlin to Gatwick every over day or so. I don’t begrudge anyone who has children; equally I don’t have children.

As an aside, surely you don’t begrudge an Albion supporter watching the Albion :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here