Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Carbon Footprint Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oh! Let's play "Climate change thread bingo"!

[ ] Why should I do anything when China/India don't bother?

you jest but right now we have a lot of policy being driven that only transfers our emissions to China. PV for example is lovely and zero carbon emissions at point of generation, but the manufacturing and material extraction has a high emission footprint. we arent counting this. meanwhile our emissions are ~1% of global output, why should we impoverish ourselves and greatly increase our costs? current policy is messed up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have decided only to do three overseas holidays a year involving flights
We can’t afford to go on stupid priced cruises because of the dollar and also the new fuel levy so we are saving the planet.
I ask for a pint of tap water at the Amex instead of using plastic bottles at obscene prices
We don’t use butter anymore preferring olive oil.
We only eat meat a couple of times a week...we eat fish a lot..but feel guilty that the trawlers use diesel to get to the shoals.
I have a hobby of burning tyres in the countryside.
I build model things, but have moved away from plastic to wood.

******One of these is not true

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Ok didn't see that one.

But this one is about what is each individual poster doing about it.

Pretty sure that was literally what the other thread was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Her as an individual, not much. No clue why she gets invited to the UN or different governments and shit, but not really much against her as a person. However the effect she has on a lot of young women - climate anxiety and unjustified feelings of shame - is pretty negative to a lot of peoples mental health. Theres a kind of "cult of personality" surrounding her which I feel is unnecessary to any realistic solutions to this problem.

A teenager giving her thoughts on climate change to mental health is some leap.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A teenager giving her thoughts on climate change to mental health is some leap.

Because teenage girls are known for their resilience against trends and popular opinions? Media and information dont affect peoples mental health?

They see the media make a picture of her as some kind of Godess and feel shit because they feel they dont as much as her and arent as good as her. Portraying Greta as the last hope of humanity and the saviour of the planet does shit things with the people who can directly identify with her. No clue about how much influence she got on teenage girls/young women in UK, but here in her home country it is both obvious and serious and does absolutely no good.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We’ve done this very recently.

1) Reusable cup at the coffee shop. It’s shocking to think how many cups I have contributed to landfill.
2) Meat free two days a week.
3) Don’t own car
4) Reuse as much as possible.
5) Buy quality items and products which last, or can be refurbished or recycled.

I'm interested in 5.) Does that include shirts that can be completely buttoned up?::clap:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Seems we are in different parts of Gothenburg then..

To quote Greta herself: "...I don’t want you to be hopeful, I want you to panic."

Trust me, young girls are listening.

You've got a 16 year old telling politicians "Don't listen to me, listen to the scientists". I would much rather that young people listen to someone like Greta than most so-called "role models" of today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

To quote Greta herself: "...I don’t want you to be hopeful, I want you to panic."

I really do think you underestimate teens if you think they literally are all now running around Sweden in a worried panic thinking theirs is an imminent death due to being fried by the sun. FFS.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You've got a 16 year old telling politicians "Don't listen to me, listen to the scientists". I would much rather that young people listen to someone like Greta than most so-called "role models" of today.

Don’t listen to me, listen to Kim and Kanye.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why do you keep saying young girls? Boys as well as adults are listening.

D

Deleted member 2719

I stopped drinking cows milk about 18 months ago

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Breast is best. :moo:

I bought some new shoes as I couldn't get the carbon off of the soles of my other ones. Got sick of being moaned at for treading carbon into the house.

My grandfather had a terrible carbon footprint, he was a chimney sweep.

I cycle and use public transport the vast majority of the time - the car is rarely used.
I don't eat meat.
I make clothes last and buy second hand when I need to update.
I reuse containers, particularly if they are plastic.
I use energy saving lightbulbs.
I never leave electrical goods on 'stand by'.
House is well insulated and central heating is used only when absolutely necessary.
Amongst other stuff.

What is your agenda here? Are you going to label me a snowflake hippy?

No agenda I was just watching the Tv this morning, and they were showing the temperature increases over the years in a colourful barcode, and the last part was all orange and red.

This is one of our biggest threats, not arguing the toss of Brexit or not.

I am old school and waste very little, rather than buy to dispose of it later.

We had reusable nappies for both our kids and I didn't know one other person who could be arsed to do it.
Work from home slow mileage.
Decided not to fly on planes any more than twice in 5 years
Eat good food, grow a obig percentage of our fruit and veg, and we don't fart.

Just a few things we do.

There are so many people who I know who think they are green but still use planes and eat big macs regularly.

Pretty sure that was literally what the other thread was.

Pretty sure you're stalking me.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I cycle and use public transport the vast majority of the time - the car is rarely used.
I don't eat meat.
I make clothes last and buy second hand when I need to update.
I reuse containers, particularly if they are plastic.
I use energy saving lightbulbs.
I never leave electrical goods on 'stand by'.
House is well insulated and central heating is used only when absolutely necessary.
Amongst other stuff.

What is your agenda here? Are you going to label me a snowflake hippy?

I don't think that [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] was looking for that sort of response :laugh:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Because teenage girls are known for their resilience against trends and popular opinions? Media and information dont affect peoples mental health?

They see the media make a picture of her as some kind of Godess and feel shit because they feel they dont as much as her and arent as good as her. Portraying Greta as the last hope of humanity and the saviour of the planet does shit things with the people who can directly identify with her. No clue about how much influence she got on teenage girls/young women in UK, but here in her home country it is both obvious and serious and does absolutely no good.

Maybe they should be left to the influence of media pop culture and the peer pressure associated with that ? Is that less obvious or serious ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m sorry [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]. But I feel you have a very skewed idea about teenagers.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
:
I'm interested in 5.) Does that include shirts that can be completely buttoned up?::clap:
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION], I hope you didn't think I was suggesting you were 'buttoned up', I was referring to you being sartorially instructed on a visit to the Amex!:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here