Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I believe that parliament ie the government should be allowed to do their job without interference.

F291ccac95eec1942535475f65909a52_-i-should-laugh-or-facepalm-facepalm-meme_604-453.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Nope. 100,000 Tories members predominately made up of the blue rinse brigade decided that they "liked" Boris, mainly because he's so very positive and a bit of a character, and they can just call him by his first name, and isn't he charming and different and funny etc.

Cheers guys.
It wasn't even 100,000. 92,153 (66%) of the twunts have saddled the country with frigging Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson*as PM. To fight those unelected EU bureaucrats. You couldn't make it up.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

You seem determined to try and seize the moral high ground Mouldy, but as usual you are on dodgy ground. After all, you have done some rather silly name calling yourself...... The rest of your post is the usual poor logic mixed with the occasional veiled/menacing comment. For instance what should we feel about being 'on your list'? That's just daft......

So Chappers isn't then?

Yes, and widely predicted to drop to 7th before the end of this year below France, and India.

https://ceoworld.biz/2018/12/28/gdp-rankings-of-the-worlds-largest-economies-2019/

If the MP's hadn't spent so much time and money on trying to stop Brexit the then that might not be the case, it's only a prediction. I predicted Albion would lose 2-1 to Burnley, predictions are just guesses.

This is the last post I'll make in this thread as it's gone the distance innit.

Even if you're trolling that's an awful thing to say. People have died because of austerity. People have been put on to the streets because of it.

Yes, I said it tongue in cheek, but if Labour had left the country in a better place it could have been avoided, so you need to start pointing the finger at Blair and Brown, if we had continued down the spend spend spend policy of those guys we would have deepened the recession.

Austerity was the only option.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I believe that parliament ie the government should be allowed to do their job without interference.

Brilliant. You've just done away with the founding principle of most liberal constitutions since the 17th century, which is the separation of powers between the legislature and executive (you could throw in the judiciary too). Those that reject the separation of powers include those that favour dictatorship, including fascists. Advocates of dictatorship, including fascists, also opine that the executive should be left to get on with it, immune from interference from the public and other monitory forces.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think this is a serious point.

If you average each post as taking 4-5 minutes to construct and write, those people who have 3000+ posts have spent over 10 days of their lives arguing with people who aren't for turning. Just think of what you could have done instead, in 250 hours!

The funny thing is it is mainly the remainers talking to one another trying to convince themselves that they are right!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I said it tongue in cheek, but if Labour had left the country in a better place it could have been avoided, so you need to start pointing the finger at Blair and Brown, if we had continued down the spend spend spend policy of those guys we would have deepened the recession.

Are you actually aware of how much borrowing the Tories have done since 2010? I am not a Labour supporter but your comment on austerity being the only option is wrong.

https://fullfact.org/economy/government-borrowing/

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think Leavers would accept a 2nd referendum on which way we leave. That's a compromise.

I think that is an entirely reasonable compromise.

I voted leave (I'm a leftie-leaver of the Benn ilk btw NOT a racist and / or facist as I have seen some on here idiotically described leavers).

I would prefer to leave with a deal, preferably retaining economic ties but severing political union ties. Whether that is "May's deal" or a new deal I'm not sure.

This suggestion works well for me; it respects the result of the referendum but also allows everybody to decide on a deal or no deal Brexit. I'm sure the overwhelming majority would be to leave with a deal of some kind.

So why isn't Is it PotG? our PM? That's what I want to know. Reasonable compromise over the crass bully boy tactics of Boris:clap:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Were these previous highlighted prorogations for similar explicit reasons, i.e. purely to enable a Queen's/King's speech (as the current Government say and presumably told the Queen) or with the political ramifications given as a basis for the prorogation and made clear to the King/Queen at the time?

The Queens Speech is merely a smokescreen. Boris has no chance at all of getting a Queens Speech through Parliament

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Brilliant. You've just done away with the founding principle of most liberal constitutions since the 17th century, which is the separation of powers between the legislature and executive (you could throw in the judiciary too). Those that reject the separation of powers include those that favour dictatorship, including fascists. Advocates of dictatorship, including fascists, also opine that the executive should be left to get on with it, immune from interference from the public and other monitory forces.

They could bring in the army ? Worth a try.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
You're right, but Thunder Bolt (who the original comment was about) has been consistently pretty non-confrontational, knowledgeable and interesting. At least that has been the way I've read her posts, and I suppose the level of interest is subjective :wink:

That doesn't go for all posters on that list Man of Sussex posted, of course.

I've certainly found out quite a few things from this thread, for me it's not been about changing my mind but hearing more opinions, and occasionally throwing in my two cents.
Yes, Thunderbolt is one of the few people who refrains from calling people names and insulting their intelligence. I'm not saying I agree with her, but I respect the way she conducts herself.

I am also interested in finding out new things about the Brexit situation, which is why I dip in and out.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So Chappers isn't then?

If the MP's hadn't spent so much time and money on trying to stop Brexit the then that might not be the case, it's only a prediction. I predicted Albion would lose 2-1 to Burnley, predictions are just guesses.

Whoops wrong thread, I thought this was the Brexit thread, seems I have accidentally clicked on the mental illness thread instead.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I don't think we are dealing with the Professor of Constitutional and Public Law here.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Queens Speech is merely a smokescreen. Boris has no chance at all of getting a Queens Speech through Parliament
If it fails it is like a no confidence vote - but 1 where the 14 days comes into play for Corbyn ( gets 1st go ) or others to form a new Government before a General Election is needed.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
As the saying go’s, those that can do, those that can’t talk about it [emoji23][emoji23]

That's uncalled for. She's already explained she has a chronic illness that prevents her "doing". Her contributions on this thread have been thoughtful and informative.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

ie means id est - in other words.

Parliament is not the government. The government is the party who usually has the most seats (although Johnson has managed to foul that up)
As I said before the government is accountable to Parliament. There are 650 seats in our Parliament.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's uncalled for. She's already explained she has a chronic illness that prevents her "doing". Her contributions on this thread have been thoughtful and informative.

I'm fine, thanks.

I think the funniest bit is that each post was supposed to take 4-5 minutes to post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here