Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Palace won 3-2 there last season,

I am a bit sick of this...”oh there is no point us going to places like the top 6 teams as we are always beaten there” If we lose home games, then this is going to be a very long season!
What's your point? Presumably Palace had a go when they won last season. We had a go and were, as expected, outclassed.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Nope. Not single touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you miss the surging dribble from the half way line, that ended with Gross making a mess of the attempted one two?

He looked good without the ball. Got into some decent spaces, but the pass to him was always lacking.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

I am a bit sick of this...”oh there is no point us going to places like the top 6 teams as we are always beaten there” If we lose home games, then this is going to be a very long season!

...and who else took points there last season?

the answer is nobody, that was an off day for them and a wonder goal from Townsend. every other team that went there last season came away with nothing.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What’s to worry about? We are playing more expansive and attractive football with better players. Bring it on. I’m really excited about what we might do this season. Last season the thought of us having three shots in an away game was unthinkable, this season we’ve scored three goals in one. Things went against us in the two home games (VAR mainly) but we still could have taken four points from them. You can’t expect to win a game at this level if you play 65 minutes with ten men but on another day that game could easily have finished 0-0. And as I’ve said, we were better than West Ham.

And saying we rarely get anything from Burnley is a lazy way of being negative. We’ve never played them with an attacking, progressive manager in charge so let’s see what happens.

A lazy way of being negative or realistic?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What I learnt today:

1) Potter is not a pragmatist. Our formation and style of play is perfect for a team like City.

2) The player's have fully bought into the style of play. Even when it was blatantly obvious(arguably 68 seconds in...) that we were not going to get anything from the game we didn't give up or hunker down in defence and try and minimise the damage but kept going forward and kept playing the same way.

3) We need to take our chances. We're very open so we're going to concede chances so when we're on top or just when we create a chance, we need to score it.

4) Today won't be the only spanking we get this season. If we do point three though we'll also hand one or two out.

5) Lovely to see Connolly given a good chunk of game time. (alright it's not something I learnt from today's game but it rounds it out to a nice number).

Yes, agree with most of those points.

However, totally appreciate I'm (apparently) in the minority, but I hate losing, and really hate getting stuffed.

I don't care how pretty our passing was around the back. It was great we created chances, but we still didn't score and we should have...... I had no problem playing defending against better teams last season and Potter needs to have a rethink, because sometimes it is okay to defend, we can still attack at pace and today was great when we did.

If we get too many spankings then we'll struggle if it goes down to goal difference.

I would also throw Webster into the positives for today.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wanted Potter to make us *more like Bournemouth than Burnley* and it seems like he is getting there.

The Burnley game is important as it could give us a big boost. We are due a win against them, for sure.

We really are, and if we don't then I'll start to be worried as well.

Thanks to Andone, Stains was a bad result......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pep always shows respect to players and managers he thinks play the game the right way. He’ll know Graham has the right ideas based on what he’s seen today. I can only imagine how utterly appalled he must have been with what he saw from us in the last two seasons.

Why? There is more than one way of playing, Pep knows that as well.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
They had no choice but to go for it by then.
Villa tried 1 attack and paid the price by getting caught out.
Then see what happens at the end.
Overall they set out to park the bus away to Palace.

It was 0-0 at that point, to say they had no choice but to go for it is a bit odd, most teams wouldn’t have brought on a striker after a sending off at 0-0. Palace were utter shite and very lucky.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Man City are probably the best team in the world at the moment. 49% possession away from home in the 1st half and creating some good chances?

I'm quite optimistic for the rest of the season.

The possession stat in football has always meant absolutely nothing.

Many great teams don’t give a monkeys about possession per se, it’s all about mugging opponents on the counter.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Pep always shows respect to players and managers he thinks play the game the right way. He’ll know Graham has the right ideas based on what he’s seen today. I can only imagine how utterly appalled he must have been with what he saw from us in the last two seasons.

Who is Pep Guardiola to say there is a correct way to play the game?

It was around for a hundred years before him and will be around long after he’s gone.

There are 17 laws and none of them say you can’t set your team up to stop the opposition playing the tactics they want to.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just left Manchester, if only we were more clinical in front of goal.........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2x Champions League
3x La Liga
5x Spanish cups
3x Bundesliga
2x German cups
3x UEFA Super Cup
3x Fifa Club World Cup
2x Premier League
3x English cups

It suggests he probably has a fairly good idea!

But can he drink a pint of bitter through a Wheat Crunchie?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We are going to be this seasons Fulham playing like that

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

And 3 out of four seasons we are hammered there 3 or 4 nil. Not sure you're making a valid point.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Overall I’m positive about the future, and relieved that CH was sacked.

But both national radio sports broadcasters were very clear today that our tactics were naive “playing into Man City’s hands time after time”.

IMHO when this Albion team/squad play away at anyone from West Ham/Leicester upwards, we must put defence in numbers first, sit deeper and deny the opposition space in behind. That’s standard, a must. We can still carry a threat on the counter with two or three players with pace.

There’s a balance to be had. These clubs have a load of world class players who love playing against fools who push up en masse. By contrast, visiting teams that sit deep, who are disciplined, cause an awful of frustration. Sometimes getting results.

I wouldn’t expect us not to be naive. We’re learning a whole new system and to be honest, how to play football again. It’s going to take time and a lot of coaching for the players to be comfortable with it.

Against the top sides like City we will be exposed at times while we’re learning, and City are on a completely different level to anyone else who has ever played in this league, but against the lower sides we will do well as we’ve already seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here