Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber on extra seats

Jul 7, 2003
Didn't know about the wifi now working, is it the cloud or do we need log in details?

Just connect to the stadium wifi and put in name and email address. Has worked well for the last two games I can actually put a bet on the game now from within the stadium.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At the preseason Q&A Barber hinted at 8,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets so if there is no significant increase in capacity it would hardly be worth the bother.

What they will need to do it they want to seriously raise the capacity to 40,000 is jack up the East Stand and level the roof over the north and south stands. The tubular frame just needs moving with a bit of building work underneath to fill the gap. It wouldn't look like an untidy afterthought add on and it would be a straight forward piece of engineering.

theboybilly

At the preseason Q&A Barber hinted at 8,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets so if there is no significant increase in capacity it would hardly be worth the bother.

What they will need to do it they want to seriously raise the capacity to 40,000 is jack up the East Stand and level the roof over the north and south stands. The tubular frame just needs moving with a bit of building work underneath to fill the gap. It wouldn't look like an untidy afterthought add on and it would be a straight forward piece of engineering.

I reckon if they did what you suggest they would lose three stands for the best part of a season and a half. Those tubular frames support the whole structure. It aint gonna happen

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
At a guess, you could build two new arches (next to or above existing) and when done attach roof to new arches. Old arches can then be removed and new stands added/extended.

Would not be a minor undertaking by any means but would keep most stadium in use in-season.

It would also mean keeping the same/similar exterior design just slightly larger version of.

Prob never happen but can but dream....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Whether or not it can be done, the travel limitations are a good enough reason not to increase the capacity imo

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
From the club website today: ‘There were 30,090 fans packed into the Amex for our second home match in as many weeks’

Why write that? Do they think we’re complete idiots? I’m sure TB must rue the fact that the TV cameras don’t face the West Stand rather than the ESL (Empty Stand Lower). The comp section really needs moving to the N2A/N2B shelf imho.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
We didn't sell out either West ham or Southampton after such a great performance at Watford and a really good game against WHU. I know it is summer holidays so a lot of people not around but equally a lot of people with time to fill. Where were the prospective 5k who want season tickets?

Season Tickets work out cheaper on a 'per match' basis, so those on the list will pick and choose the games they go to.

If 2,000 seats went in then most would be sold to people off the ST waiting list, we'd have to allow for 15% for FA Cup away attendance.
so 2,000 seats would be 1,700 ST's sold

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Need to make the North Stand bigger. Give it another 8 to 10 rows as it is dwarfed by the other 2 stands.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
We STILL don't need any further seating.

Thousands on the waiting list and something like only 3 PL games not selling out suggests otherwise.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Thousands on the waiting list and something like only 3 PL games not selling out suggests otherwise.

Loads of empties on Saturday. That's only Stains I know, but just selling a few thousand extra when the 3 big boys appear does not justify the many tens of millions it would take to amend the existing set up.

Also, should we go down, a 2/3 empty stadium is NOT a pretty sight.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Loads of empties on Saturday. That's only Stains I know, but just selling a few thousand extra when the 3 big boys appear does not justify the many tens of millions it would take to amend the existing set up.

Also, should we go down, a 2/3 empty stadium is NOT a pretty sight.

It was about 200 unsold seats during holiday time.

If we had the “justify the many 10’s of millions it would take” comments when we played at Withdean we would have never got the stadium built.

An an extra 800 seats wouldn’t mean the stadium would become 2 thirds empty if we went down.

How do you know that there weren’t fans who would’ve gone to the game if they could get NS tickets? Not everyone wants to sit in the more boring parts of the ground and pay more for it.

We could shift 800 ST’s easily.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Would have loved it to continue around from the east stand second tier.

Don’t think that’s possible. I think a bigger single tier North Stand would look better and less unfinished.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It was about 200 unsold seats during holiday time.

If we had the “justify the many 10’s of millions it would take” comments when we played at Withdean we would have never got the stadium built.

An an extra 800 seats wouldn’t mean the stadium would become 2 thirds empty if we went down.

How do you know that there weren’t fans who would’ve gone to the game if they could get NS tickets? Not everyone wants to sit in the more boring parts of the ground and pay more for it.

We could shift 800 ST’s easily.

So would another 800 in the Norff give us 4 songs at once instead of the standard 3?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect the cheapest of the very expensive options is to refit the north stand. Although there is possibly no desire to do this until the safe standing issue is resolved.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So would another 800 in the Norff give us 4 songs at once instead of the standard 3?

More likely to sing as one as the extra seats could be a designated singing section, so the signing groups could move together. It’s a win win.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
PB made it clear at the Fans Forum that the Amex won't get safe standing, because supported heavily rejected it.

That whole thing was a farce and everyone knows it. They asked fans who never had any intention of standing anyway. It was just a crappy survey that not a lot of fans completed. The whole stadium was never going to be in favour of it because most of them don’t stand. The way they did it made me think it was to kill the safe standing debate. Very clever from Barber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here