Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Clarke starts for Derby against Huddersfield tonight.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't see the game, but Twitter is going bonkers over his performance. Did we need to loan him out - can we recall him?!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Didn't see the game, but Twitter is going bonkers over his performance. Did we need to loan him out - can we recall him?!

He looked very composed, organising those around him, coming out with the ball well- very, very solid. As impressive as White yesterday. Not gonna play ahead of Dunk, Duffy and Webster though. It's a good move for him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can see us selling some of these players for good profits

Me too. A few more ‘Lewis Cooks’ will be floating around the Premier League scoring headed goals against us as we can’t keep all this talent happy for long. White & Clarke will want to progress higher next season if they keep getting Dunk style rave reviews at their respective top Championship clubs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Me too. A few more ‘Lewis Cooks’ will be floating around the Premier League scoring headed goals against us as we can’t keep all this talent happy for long. White & Clarke will want to progress higher next season if they keep getting Dunk style rave reviews at their respective top Championship clubs.

In 12 months time we could be hoping Mr Bloom sells Dunk for £81m safe in the knowledge he won't be tapping up Burnley for the next on the rung.

(Or we could be playing Leeds and Derby in the Championship)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Played very well, really strong in the air which we've massively missed for a while, so an excellent foil for Keogh. Cheers :) Honourable mention for Elphick as well, great contribution!

Last edited:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Played very well, really strong in the air which we've massively missed for a while, so an excellent foil for Keogh. Cheers :) Honourable mention for Elphick as well, great contribution!

Ah was hoping you’d be along with an update. All sounds good, keep us in the loop my good man. Hope you have a good season.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Seems I’m the only one that feels a little uncomfortable with all this smug “one of our own” stuff, when he hasn’t even played for us. Would be a bit like Arsenal fans crowing over Clive Allen’s achievements (ask your Dad)!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

You mean Steve Cook ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Seems I’m the only one that feels a little uncomfortable with all this smug “one of our own” stuff, when he hasn’t even played for us. Would be a bit like Arsenal fans crowing over Clive Allen’s achievements (ask your Dad)!

I know what you mean and this is exactly the sort of practice I have concerns over. Premier clubs exclusively having the money to buy talent that they can get someone else to develop and make a lot of money out of it. Money goes to money. Who can blame clubs like Bristol starting to cash in? At least SOME of the Premier league money is getting down the leagues - sadly not enough.
I think we did it a few years ago on a small scale at Withdean when we bought and sold a player, whose name escapes me, at profit before the season kicked off but it is no excuse.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Well he’s not one of our own in the same way as Dunk but he’s certainly our player now, so yes I will take an interest.

Plus, as we’ve recently discovered, a top class championship defender is worth £20m so if we have two (potentially) of them waiting in the wings that would be ideal. Though too early to jump to conclusions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know what you mean and this is exactly the sort of practice I have concerns over. Premier clubs exclusively having the money to buy talent that they can get someone else to develop and make a lot of money out of it. Money goes to money. Who can blame clubs like Bristol starting to cash in? At least SOME of the Premier league money is getting down the leagues - sadly not enough.
I think we did it a few years ago on a small scale at Withdean when we bought and sold a player, whose name escapes me, at profit before the season kicked off but it is no excuse.

Well he’s not one of our own in the same way as Dunk but he’s certainly our player now, so yes I will take an interest.

Plus, as we’ve recently discovered, a top class championship defender is worth £20m so if we have two (potentially) of them waiting in the wings that would be ideal. Though too early to jump to conclusions.

It does sit a bit uncomfortably but that’s the game we’re in now I guess. At least we’ve got an owner and management team that are exceptional businessmen who are doing things in a smart and sustainable way. In the case of CBs, we seem to have great cover if D and/or D leave, or failing that possibly 40-50m coming in to fund other areas from two CBs sold after impressing in the Championship.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Both will benefit much more at clubs fighting at the top end of the championship than warming the bench in the premier league. Great to see a ready made pipeline of replacements but then this is one position we have a very strong track record in developing and recruiting

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

I have to say, I dislike when we talent hoard with the U23s, although it does appear to be paying dividends with a few exceptional kids we’ve gathered.

There are a few examples of us plucking the best 17-20 year old out of a lower league academy, only to plonk them on the U23 bench leaving them with no development. Meanwhile the smaller club has lost its asset for peanuts and the player will probably be released into non league and have to build back up again from scratch.

Jordan “the next Bale” Davies, Billy Collings, Ben Hall, Henrik Bjordal, Tyler Forbes... Danny Mandroiu was an excellent young player for us but had too much competition in CM and has had to go back to the League of Ireland (where he is excelling).

But maybe that’s the game and it’s down to the player’s agent to advise them better.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Feel sorry for Clarke . You could tell when he asked about it he isn’t that chuffed as he said he was settled at Portsmouth .

Bit harsh what we’ve done in my opinion

It’s best for the club yes but not the move he was sold to leave Pompey

Hopefully will work our for everyone though

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Feel sorry for Clarke . You could tell when he asked about it he isn’t that chuffed as he said he was settled at Portsmouth .

I wouldn’t - doubt that’s the case at all - club would have known he was going to be put out on loan before they signed him and would have told him so. He’ll have had a big pay rise, and Derby is a step up from the ****s, preparing him better for the PL.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Signs were there pretty early in pre-season. Captaining the young side that played Crawley for example and little involvement in the others.

Seems as if he was always going to be loaned out after signing, and I doubt he didn't have prior knowledge.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well that was not the best of performances by my beloved team. Struggled to create chances there but some decent bits in the game

I am not sure if the manager is trying to play the Wagner way or not. Be an interesting season.

Back to supporting my soft southern shandy drinking blouse wearing team. Have they signed anyone this window yet?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here