Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Chris Hughton interview today

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How Hughton could have been surprised with the sack after the dire debacles at the Amex against Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, Cardiff and even Newcastle and Huddersfield is totally beyond me.

Short memories some people have! Not long ago we were all congratulating ourselves because we had a chairman with a long term vision and a manager who was here for the long haul, not like other clubs, hiring and firing after a couple of defeats. Even if we went down, the common consensus on NSC was we'd still want to keep him as the best man to bring us back up again! Perhaps after starting our second season in the PL with some good results some of us developed a sense of entitlement all of a sudden!

The fact that it's beyond you to understand how he was surprised doesn't really matter. :shrug:
The fact remains that he was surprised.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He may have been surprised, but perhaps he shouldn't have been.
Did he have absolutely no awareness of the , let us say, 'disappointment' of the Chairman during 'that' game? No awareness of the grumblings of fans, no awareness of a disastrous spell that saw us tumbling down the table, that would have seen off many a manager?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Short memories some people have! Not long ago we were all congratulating ourselves because we had a chairman with a long term vision and a manager who was here for the long haul, not like other clubs, hiring and firing after a couple of defeats. Even if we went down, the common consensus on NSC was we'd still want to keep him as the best man to bring us back up again! Perhaps after starting our second season in the PL with some good results some of us developed a sense of entitlement all of a sudden!

The fact that it's beyond you to understand how he was surprised doesn't really matter. :shrug:
Of course it doesn't matter that I don't understand why he was surprised.

I just think he is a fool to have been surprised - and this is the man who told us several times that he is *never surprised by anything in football*.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course it doesn't matter that I don't understand why he was surprised.

I just think he is a fool to have been surprised - and this is the man who told us several times that he is *never surprised by anything in football*.
Many will also disagree with the suggestion that Hughton is a fool ...........................

Hey ho, I'm leaving this rather pointless argument.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Many will also disagree with the suggestion that Hughton is a fool ...........................

Hey ho, I'm leaving this rather pointless argument.
A *fool to have been surprised*.... not a fool ( in general ).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He may have been surprised, but perhaps he shouldn't have been.
Did he have absolutely no awareness of the , let us say, 'disappointment' of the Chairman during 'that' game? No awareness of the grumblings of fans, no awareness of a disastrous spell that saw us tumbling down the table, that would have seen off many a manager?

I would have thought he had awareness of all those things, but would have had the confidence that he could turn it around, and believed Bloom had that confidence too. He was surprised when Bloom didn't.

Why are people so hung up on this? Really really odd.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Drew, I'm giving my opinion why he was surprised. I'm not critiquing Bloom or Barber's management technique, or disputing the evidence of the pitch. Let's not get side tracked. It was purely a point as to why I accept he probably was genuinely surprised.

Fair enough.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We weren't relegated for 2 seasons, so lets try at least to keep some perspective of what actual failure is.
The actual failure? Try actual failures.

Cardiff at home (and away)
Bournemouth at home (and away)
Southampton at home
Newcastle at home
Even Huddersfield at home we were awful
Apart from Palace just about any away game-especially conceding 4 to Fulham with a 2 goal lead
West Ham away, go 2 up, drop back as a team and end up lucky to grab a point
9 games without a goal (?)
How many games without a shot?

It wasn't all about the final league position was it? It was about empty seats, awful inept performances all too often.

Yes, his mandate was to stay up and we did but we went backwards in doing so.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That report was at the beginning of the season before a ball was kicked and he said survival was priority right back then. Not after the Cardiff game
Can I ask you, have you ever been given instant dismissal after reaching a target?

Actually, he said 'Would I take 17th? Probably the bigger part of me says yes because my role is a responsibility to make sure this club is in the Premier League the following season'. That doesn't mean that is exactly what TB and PB said.

So, the target is more what he set himself rather than what TB had set so you don't know whether he reached the chairman's target or not!

And no, I've never been dismissed from a job in my life.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Southampton at home
Newcastle at home
Apart from Palace just about any away game-especially conceding 4 to Fulham with a 2 goal lead

It wasn't all about the final league position was it? It was about empty seats, awful inept performances all too often.

:facepalm:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Reaffirms what most people believe about his character but seems the interviewer has an agenda! Not sure how it can be said with certainty that the cup run was a negative impact on the season. It may or may not have been.

Agreed. Especially as arguably the worst two results we had last season (the defeats to Bournemouth and Cardiff) came after we were knocked out of the Cup and could 'concentrate on the League'!

And he said he 'didn't see it coming'. Hmm. I have a lot of sympathy, but I'm not sure if that isn't a criticism in itself.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I would have thought he had awareness of all those things, but would have had the confidence that he could turn it around, and believed Bloom had that confidence too. He was surprised when Bloom didn't.

Why are people so hung up on this? Really really odd.

Bold, all I am saying is that perhaps he SHOULDN'T have been so surprised, that is all, and perhaps he should have been aware that it was a distinct possibility. Was he living in a bubble?
As for the 'hangings up', I think it is because of the strong 'Hughton should never have been sacked 'brigade failing to move on from his departure and being unable to accept that it was a very real possibility, given the abysmal showings during the latter part of the season.
In many other clubs he would have been long gone.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bold, all I am saying is that perhaps he SHOULDN'T have been so surprised, that is all, and perhaps he should have been aware that it was a distinct possibility. Was he living in a bubble?
As for the 'hangings up', I think it is because of the strong 'Hughton should never have been sacked 'brigade failing to move on from his departure and being unable to accept that it was a very real possibility, given the abysmal showings during the latter part of the season.
In many other clubs he would have been long gone.

Really? You only have to see [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION]'s reply to me above, completely out of context from my post to someone else to see there are those who wanted Hughton gone who cannot tolerate any comments made about Hughton without jumping in. He's gone, there is a new manager, why is this desire to jump in to repeat the same reasons for his failure whenever he's discussed? You've got it the wrong way round.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This, completely. Bloke's not got a bad bone in his body. How long's that article? 1200 words? 2000 words? How many times does he vent at players or recruitment team - where the bulk of the blame lies? Answer: a big fat zero. And the worst he can rustle up towards the board and chairman is the football bog standard 'disappointed'. The game needs WAY more Hughtons. With the obscene amounts of money sloshing around in the fame, seems more and more unlikely. Proper gent :bowdown:

"I know there are managers who would be more expansive but my style is geared to what I have but also to what I think will give us the best options of an end product." I'd argue that's him venting. He's as good as said "I didn't have the resources to be more expansive".

For what it's worth, the interview summed up my feelings about him. A lovely bloke but limited by his own, low risk tendencies. We need someone with a bit more ambition - hopefully Potter is that man.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

TB, due to results, has only got rid of two managers, Slade and Hughton (who was here for four and half years!). Poyet sacked for gross misconduct and Hyypia and Garcia both resigned. We have hardly got a reputation for firing and hiring.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Really? You only have to see [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION]'s reply to me above, completely out of context from my post to someone else to see there are those who wanted Hughton gone who cannot tolerate any comments made about Hughton without jumping in. He's gone, there is a new manager, why is this desire to jump in to repeat the same reasons for his failure whenever he's discussed? You've got it the wrong way round.

Bold, we are not going to agree so let us at least agree to let it go!:thumbsup:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Southampton at home
Newcastle at home

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

As an ardent CH supporter when you read it back and actually think about how starkly we regressed, no one (especially the man himself) could have been 'shocked' by the eventual outcome. Timings wise it was sudden, if you like, but in terms of a case for sacking Chris the above really is pretty hard to argue with. We were pathetic - easily the worst team in the league along with Huddersfield.

That said I would have liked to think the board would have discussed this with CH, asking for a response - seeking a different approach. I guess this 'might' have happened but from the way CH puts it - I find it unlikely. That leaves a bit of a bitter taste for me, as I think CH deserved an opportunity to put it right, but perhaps he needed to be told take a step back and think about an alternative strategy... That (for me) didn't happen, which is a little sad given the job he had done for the majority of his tenure.

Ultimately we were terrible after Christmas, so bad I doubt we would have made the top half in the Championship to be brutally honest. Someone had to take the blame I guess, and as the players are virtually untouchable... well, CH was the man.

Time to move on, if the media let us... I suspect they'll have their knives out ready. Pray we perform, otherwise it's going to be a long, long, long season for many reasons.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"I know there are managers who would be more expansive but my style is geared to what I have but also to what I think will give us the best options of an end product." I'd argue that's him venting. He's as good as said "I didn't have the resources to be more expansive".

Well I guess that COULD be taken as CH venting, but such is the baroque nature of the way he uses language that few would take it as such. Bless him, love the bloke to bits :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here