Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] R.I.P John McCririck

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
John McCririck, whose unique and colourful broadcasting style made him a household name far beyond the confines of the sport he reported on, has died aged 79.

Used to love Big Mac's enthusiasm on Channel 4 racing back in the day.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
RIP. Personally found him irritating, and a sexist bore, but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Had no interest in Horse racing but did really like this chap.
A real character and we will never see the likes of him again sadly.

RIP.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"The unanimous judgement of the Tribunal is that the Claimant's claim of direct age discrimination fails. All the evidence is that Mr McCririck's pantomime persona, as demonstrated on the celebrity television appearances and his persona when appearing on Channel 4 Racing, together with his self-described bigoted and male chauvinist views, were clearly unpalatable to a wider potential audience."

The panel was told by witnesses from the television station and IMG (the production company) that he was dropped because he was "offensive" and "disgusting"

meh

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A very odd fellow, met him at Goodwood once, but he wasn't very sociable.
Anyway, RIP, John.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Once famously described as looking like "a hedge that'd been dragged through a man backwards."

I have no interest in the gee gees but I found his boundless enthusiasm and eccentricity strangely compelling.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"The unanimous judgement of the Tribunal is that the Claimant's claim of direct age discrimination fails. All the evidence is that Mr McCririck's pantomime persona, as demonstrated on the celebrity television appearances and his persona when appearing on Channel 4 Racing, together with his self-described bigoted and male chauvinist views, were clearly unpalatable to a wider potential audience."

The panel was told by witnesses from the television station and IMG (the production company) that he was dropped because he was "offensive" and "disgusting"

meh

RIP, but this kind of sums him up pretty well for me. Misogynistic, arrogant and a bit weird but as [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] says, oddly compelling to watch at times (in a car crash kind of way).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A captivating presence and no doubt. Always made me laugh that a man dressed as Uncle Bulgaria had the temerity to tell anyone to “GROW UP YOU FOOLS”!

I liked him on the telly.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Nice enough chap from one brief encounter , met him at Newmarket whilst working for my charity , put £20 in the bucket and returned later with a ticket or bet slip thingamybob which he'd placed £10 each way on a horse for the collection , it came 3rd so another £34 in the collection , i know it's not all about the money but it was a nice thoughtful thing to do regarding the horse ticket so RIP Mr McCririck .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
RIP and all that, but you were a tedious misogynistic bore.

If he hadn't have been on telly, would anyone really have cared?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A captivating presence and no doubt. Always made me laugh that a man dressed as Uncle Bulgaria had the temerity to tell anyone to “GROW UP YOU FOOLS”!

I liked him on the telly.

This. Sort of. Endearing punter-friendly pundit on Channel 4 Racing, forever plugging Come Racing and berating the bookies for their prices. Like so very many of these larger than live 'personalities' tho, a complete ******** when the cameras aren't rolling or they're not inside their weekly column. They say never meet your heroes. Met Jeffrey Bernard once. He was an absolute ****.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Evens - Cremation
3-1 Burial
50-1 Cryogenically Frozen.

RIP John :(

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I remember him, well laughing at him (not with) along with my brother back in the day as our Grandad was a 'races' fanatic. He's one of that breed of 'out there' TV personalities of yore whom seem even more ridiculous when viewed through the eyes of the (modern) world. How he made it, I'll never know, why he was so popular - again - I'll never know. People used to laugh at Love Thy Neighbour I guess, so times change... He strikes me as a flag bearer for the dinosaur personalities who we are finally leaving behind... You know, loud boorish blokes, with a nasty sideline in sexism etc. yet (in spite of this) they were somehow popular for what they 'did.'

The days where local loonies made it on TV are, as I say, diminishing and I say thank God for that.

He had a good run, especially for such a one trick pony, something I'm sure he'd appreciate.

In spite of all of that, no winds of ill will tumble down my scree filled mountain slopes, so good luck to his spirit in the void beyond.

Last edited:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
It's sad the way his life lost purpose after being dropped from racing, which by the sounds of it, was his life. I think if he'd stayed doing what he was brilliant at, which was talking about horses, betting and being the guy in the ring before the races he would have worked for a lot longer. There seems to be a trend though for taking someone who does not fit the conventional norm and throwing them into situations that will exaggerate their eccentricities then getting all offended and shocked when they come out.

As someone who has no interest in racing he seemed knowledgable, was entertaining and if flicking through channels would make you stay there and watch for a bit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This. Sort of. Endearing punter-friendly pundit on Channel 4 Racing, forever plugging Come Racing and berating the bookies for their prices. Like so very many of these larger than live 'personalities' tho, a complete ******** when the cameras aren't rolling or they're not inside their weekly column. They say never meet your heroes. Met Jeffrey Bernard once. He was an absolute ****.

I had a brief fling with one of Bernard’s daughters. Let’s just say the impression she gave of him was that he wasn’t exactly present as a Father. She was bonkers but fun. As you’d expect the offspring of JB to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here