Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ali J
Bissouma
Bernardo
Kayal
Knockaert

All of the above had a very strong case to be ahead of Gross, Bong, Stephens and Locadia.

Agreed, but I guess CH was trying to stick to the team to see if they could make that difference.
But obviously not!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many years since it happened? One.

Huddersfield last season. Coasting before Christmas and managed just 2 wins between Mid-December and Easter. Looking awfully familiar.

Short memory?
Huddersfield got relegated last season? Okey dokey, carry on. Truly astounding, but hey, who am I to argue with your superior logic.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Huddersfield got relegated last season? Okey dokey, carry on. Truly astounding, but hey, who am I to argue with your superior logic.
Where were Stoke at Xmas? Felt like they went to freefall but I sent be arsed to check any stats.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I disagree. I believe we are a mid-level Prem team at best, given the right starting 11 and tactics.
My main point in my original post is (despite how much I genuinely want Hughton to succeed with us) I do not believe Hughton is the man you want in a relegation fight.

Good job we didn't get him in to replace Hyypia then!

And re: definitions of mid-level and lower level PL; perhaps they're both just bottom half (or outside the top ten if you prefer)!

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I'm not sure we were appalling. We created some excellent chances. Heaton was inspired and Burnley as a whole were very good. Just a real shame that Dunk slipped when he did

Fair point, you're right. Perhaps guilty of hyperbole there. I'd downgrade to 'very poor' but I don't know how to edit the post.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My main issue was CH saying that we wouldn't be making any signings in January because we had a full squad. In numbers, perhaps, but deficient in quality and balance. Only two central strikers? Andone's suspension has revealed the folly of that. Burnley have Wood, Barnes, Crouch and Vydra. If we don't risk Muzza against Derby, who'll be in his place? Gyokeres? Or should we try a false nine? It may be the only sort we have ...

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Who said anything about relegation?

Try reading my original comment before getting high and mighty. Congrats.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
What you've also highlighted is that they scored 3 without really even trying. I suspect if we had scored they would have had more ambition to attack, like West Ham, and like Fulham.

We have the resistance of a poppadom.

And don't be so rude. I'm getting sick of this overly passionate defence of CH and Brighton. Grow up.

We were appalling today, again. I'll accept if and when we go down but as a club (and ever growingly important as a business being the financial game it is) we need to try and stay in the PL so the board might decide a change of manager might do that. I hope not, but it's possible to love CH, want him to stay and accept possible relegation and also know there may be a great deal more optimism and positivity if he were to be displaced. Who knows what the dressing room thinks, that will be the decider, but the next few games will tell us.
Rude, yes. But I’ve had enough of users forming illformed opinions. Everyone is entitled to one, but they’re citing rubbish. Today’s result stinks, it isn’t nice to see. But to cite things like Groß having another poor game irritates me. He was not good today and was rightfully subbed. But he played very well versed Watford, and created a league high 10 (TEN) chances in that game. Last season he was arguably Brighton’s best player and was the most creative. What is the manager meant to do? Not play someone after that? He was taken off today after being given a chance to turn his personal poor performance around. No isses from the mangers here, in my opinion .

Locadia was poor too. But what are the other options? All J is the only one, who is coming back into the fold himself. If Locadia was dropped from the start and someone else takes his place, I guarantee they’ll be posts on here scapegoating the player who replaced him. There isn’t a magic switch that makes players perform, there are so many factors that can influence a football result. Today, we saw a good start from Brighton and 4 excellent saves from Heaton. A penalty call wrongfully turned down and some defensive errors from unfortunate circumstances (Dunks slip, lucky deflection and the penalty shout). How are individual errors and referring calls anything to do with the manger? Should he now drop Dunk because he slipped on a soggy pitch?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We are too often a dull team, playing without flair, ambition or cohesion. I will leave it to those that know everything to tell me whether or not that is down to the manager's selection and tactics or not. And yes, I am cold, dripping wet and in receipt of a wasted five hours.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Luckily Burnley didn't get rid of Dyche after their abysmal run.

Bingo. And Plucky didnt get rid of Howe after their wretched start last season. The most well run and sensible clubs DO NOT sack good managers after a poor run of form. We are on a bad run - it's bound to happen - but 100% CH is the man to get us out of it and remember we are still 4 points ahead of our target to get 40 points.

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Love Hughton, but massively questioning his tactical selections in recent games. Pick the best players available.

Bong playing left back over Bernado is a travesty, Stephens coming straight in for Bissouma? We were excellent last week with Bissouma, Gross and Propper I can't see why you'd change that. Still think we'll stay up but only if Hughton becomes more proactive than reactive, time to phase the old guard out a bit.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
We should have won the game in the first half but we didn't. When is he going to wake up to the fact Bissouma should be starting every game? I have liked Stephens for a couple of seasons but he should not be starting now.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I agree with you about CH. As a long term supporter:

1. What’s your take on why we’re in serious trouble just now?
2. What would you do with the squad this summer?

1. If being 14th in the premier league, having not been in the relegation zone since August 2017, with all we have to do to stay up is match a Cardiff side who we are considerably better than and who we have a MUCH easier set of remaining fixtures than, is 'in serious trouble', than you and I share very different world-views. Form comes and goes and that amazing home record wasn't going to last forever - but we have enough about us to stay up.

2. Our first summer we overhauled the first XI, and thanks to being able to play them all season (no injuries) we stayed up. Second summer we added huge strength in depth to cover for more injuries and kept lowering the average age of our squad. Third summer I presume we'll add one, two or three high-quality pieces to the mix

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here