Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Baloguns Switch off

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
According to your figures he played around half their games then (only 18 teams in Bundesliga) . I know he was out injured for at least 6 months at some point. And I’m pretty certain when we signed him he was a regular first choice. I can’t be arsed to see why he missed other games. Maybe he didn’t play in their first team straight away?
I’m not sure why he didn’t play, he made 18 appearances in his first season, then 17 then 14. He never played a large part in their season

el punal

Up there with the weirdest goals we have ever conceded. Absolutely unfathomable.

File it with Hinshelwood's 45 yard OG at Withdean, and the one at Peterborough, when Digweed got lobbed by the frozen divot he'd dug out on his 6 yard line.

Newcastle’s equaliser, two years ago, at the Amex. It had more deflections and rebounds (I exaggerate!) than a pinball machine. :mad:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Newcastle’s equaliser, two years ago, at the Amex. It had more deflections and rebounds (I exaggerate!) than a pinball machine. :mad:

That was the spawniest goal I've ever seen us concede.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Excellent.

Bong, Knockaert and Groß please meet new member Balogun.

come off it, he allowed a goal that would embarrass a Sunday league player, and deserves criticism for that. he'd done most the hard work, blocking the player then gave up. simple rule to play to the whistle, while ball is in play battle for it. thought he was OK otherwise (very good interception), though not probably good enough for Premier league.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It looked like he thought the ball had gone out.

I haven't seen the replays since, but could Button not have got across to claim it or at least push it over? Looks like they all thought it was going out!

My first thought, watching on tv, was that the ball had gone out over the goal, and curved back in. Obviously the tv camera was filming it at an angle, and you'd hope the linesman would have spotted it, but I can see how the players would've been fooled. Even after the replay, I wasn't sure it hadn't gone over.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My first thought, watching on tv, was that the ball had gone out over the goal, and curved back in. Obviously the tv camera was filming it at an angle, and you'd hope the linesman would have spotted it, but I can see how the players would've been fooled. Even after the replay, I wasn't sure it hadn't gone over.

I don't think it could have gone out, as it glances of the face of the crossbar before their player 'tucked' it home

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
He reminds me of Lewis Dunk when he first started getting first team appearances. Clearly talented but prone to some real howlers. suspect that these will be ironed out as he gets more appearances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He reminds me of Lewis Dunk when he first started getting first team appearances. Clearly talented but prone to some real howlers. suspect that these will be ironed out as he gets more appearances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely the Palace goal should stand him in good stead for this season, at least.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It can't have gone out and curved back in, given where it was played from (pic 1 below).

I think Balogun just thought, given his position pretty much on the goal line, (pic 2) that the ball was heading out...

...but the ball dropped almost straight down, so remained in (pic 3)

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 12.21.19.jpg

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 12.21.42.jpg

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 12.22.09.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It can't have gone out and curved back in, given where it was played from (pic 1 below).

I think Balogun just thought, given his position pretty much on the goal line, (pic 2) that the ball was heading out...

...but the ball dropped almost straight down, so remained in (pic 3)

View attachment 104449

View attachment 104450

View attachment 104451

These pictures are pretty damning regards Button's contribution.

Comes and fails to reach the original cross, when had he stayed put, he'd have had a simple task to gather the dropping ball.

And, having come (and failed to get there) look at the respective positions of him and Burn in pic 1, and how quickly Burn recovers to the goal line by pic 2, compared with the keeper.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Excellent.

Bong, Knockaert and Groß please meet new member Balogun.

And later on our lifetime chairman Solly March will be popping by.

PS his friend Jurgen who had been drifting away from our meetings wants to know if he’s still welcome .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And, having come (and failed to get there) look at the respective positions of him and Burn in pic 1, and how quickly Burn recovers to the goal line by pic 2, compared with the keeper.
That's a pretty poor analysis of what happened. When Burn jumped, he was heading towards the goal, while Button was heading away from the goal when he jumped. The second picture shows where they were once they'd landed, due to their momentum.

Sure Button could have either won the ball originally, or not gone for it, but having gone for it and missed he couldn't get back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And later on our lifetime chairman Solly March will be popping by.

PS his friend Jurgen who had been drifting away from our meetings wants to know if he’s still welcome .
Once in the club, I believe it's a life membership, you're always welcome back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's a pretty poor analysis of what happened. When Burn jumped, he was heading towards the goal, while Button was heading away from the goal when he jumped. The second picture shows where they were once they'd landed, due to their momentum.

Sure Button could have either won the ball originally, or not gone for it, but having gone for it and missed he couldn't get back.

This frame is from when Button landed.

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 12.46.15.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good call. That was indeed RIDICULOUS.

Indeed. Which is why I had no time whatsoever for whinging Geordies who moaned about their terrible luck when it came to our goal at St James's Park this season. Suck it up. Rafa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here