Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] North Sentinel Island & An American Idiot

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Stone age tribe, what a load of old tabloid shit. The effluent flowing out your keyboard is positively overwhelming. They get visits from medical teams and government officials every now and again, who arrive by helicopter. Plus interact with other tribes apparently. The only woolly mammoth here is you. But that's all besides the point, which is, this man's death in tragic circumstances because of his misguided beliefs shouldn't be a cause for celebration and anti-christian vitriol by you and quite a few others seemingly: that's a modern standard btw unless you're still dragging your knuckles which, I admit, you possibly still are....

Now Portlock, I genuinely like your stuff on here - you’re an itelligent and decent contributor.

Your stance, herein, however is at odds with your usual calm and measured self. I can’t deny any one being killed is truly awful, but he (as the article) purports was very aware of the risks and was repeatedly shot at prior to actually being killed... come on, he must have realised they meant to murder him and said as much via his messages he was sending to his family. Any sane person would have backed off and realised he was putting himself in mortal danger - by persisting in his selfish crusade he has dragged this reclusive people into a media storm of his own creation and created a major incident for the local authorities to deal with.

In short what he did was illegal, morally insensitive at best and very, very dangerous... he could be alive today if he’d backed off when he could... sad all the same, but for me he acted for highly selfish reasons - which I covered elsewhere.

Remember; we’re all entitled to an opinion and if this guy was a true Christian he wouldn’t want some random people fighting about his actions on the sodding internet. Or would he?!? hmmmmmm

So; with this in mind I respect your take on it too.

Peace out.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would have loved to have seen the look on his face when he realised his God wasn't getting him out of this one. Really surprised throwing fish at them didn't calm it down. :)

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I doubt throwing fish has improved any disagreement - but hey... let's give Theresa May a box of cod and see what she can do with the EU leaders.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If you were born in this tribe, would you still believe what you believe?
Clearly not, hence why if Christianity is true I would have needed someone to tell me about it.

Just leave people alone FFS, trying to push your beliefs on other people is just so bloody arrogant. I'm sure they've got their own fictional magic man in the sky, they don't need to use yours.
All I will say is that I truly believe this kind of modern-day "don't mind me" attitude has produced a general populace who is too cowardly to tell people when they think they're on the wrong path at the risk of offending them. I don't mean just on religion, and I don't exempt myself from this condemnation either (hence why I admire Chau). This "forcing your belief on me" mantra is code for "don't tell me I'm wrong". Telling someone about their belief is not a use of force. If we're really that offended or insecure in our own beliefs that we are affronted when somebody challenges them, or just respond with an insult, we are the ones with a problem.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Knocking on your door and politely leaving a copy of the Watchtower is one thing. Storming onto an island when you have been expressly requested not to and leaving a biological timebomb is something else again...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Clearly not, hence why if Christianity is true I would have needed someone to tell me about it.

All I will say is that I truly believe this kind of modern-day "don't mind me" attitude has produced a general populace who is too cowardly to tell people when they think they're on the wrong path at the risk of offending them. I don't mean just on religion, and I don't exempt myself from this condemnation either (hence why I admire Chau). This "forcing your belief on me" mantra is code for "don't tell me I'm wrong". Telling someone about their belief is not a use of force. If we're really that offended or insecure in our own beliefs that we are affronted when somebody challenges them, or just respond with an insult, we are the ones with a problem.

I really don't think the tribes people would have know what the fool was blathering on about. They didn't kill him because of his God, they killed him because he went onto their island.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I do kind of agree, and I know what you are getting it, and there is some truth in that.

But this guy walking on to their island to tell them what he believes in and why they should change their ways is no different to one of their tribe kicking your front door in and telling you why you should become a tribesman and live their way of life. I can’t imagine you’d do anything other than kick the guy the hell out of your house, which is effectively what they did.

It’s no more likely that your way of life is any more ‘right’ than theirs is. You only believe what you are told, and it will be the same with them, as it would be the same if you grew up in Iran.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Trespassers will be martyred!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
What’s wrong with saying no thanks, please leave our island...? Why is his killing somehow justified because of his Christian beliefs? Some ugly comments on here. Indigenous or not, didn’t have to kill the bloke did they?

That may be true according to your culture and beliefs. That doesn't mean that they have to agree with you - their island, their culture, their beliefs, their rules.

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
I find the statement from his family saying they forgive the tribe as weird. They don’t need forgiveness, they don’t live by modern laws, they presumably didn’t do anything wrong under their own moral code.
You're totally right.

But if they have laws too, why aren't their laws modern too?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here