Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic Female Backing Vocal Contributions to Tracks by Male Artists.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Kate bush. Don’t give up....peter Gabriel.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Kate bush. Don’t give up....peter Gabriel.

Strictly speaking that is a duet as she is credited as one of the performing artists.
On the other hand she is merely a backing singer on Peter Gabriel's "Games Without Frontiers" where she sings the 'Jeux sans frontières' refrain.

Suprised this hasn't featured yet - Merrie Clayton and some English white boys. Having just listened to it again I think it almost deserves that most annoying of phrases - "thread closed". Harp on it isn't too shabby either - Mick Jagger maybe?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Suprised this hasn't featured yet - Merrie Clayton and some English white boys. Having just listened to it again I think it almost deserves that most annoying of phrases - "thread closed". Harp on it isn't too shabby either - Mick Jagger maybe?

See my opening post where you can even enjoy Merry singing the whole song.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would have thought that Lisa Fischer singing Gimme Shelter with the Stones has to right up there, she has a great powerful voice.
Always backed up Luther Vandross as well so I have seen Lisa 3 times live, a great performer in her own right.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Amy Belle, duet with Rod Stewart on “i don’t want to talk about it”

Edit : not a classic but I like it.

And another vote for Kate Bush/Peter Gabriel

Last edited:

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Close runner up to Merry Clayton on Glmme Shelter is Maggie Bell on Rod Stewart's Every picture tells a story.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea if this has been posted already but it’s so good I’ll post it again if so. How much do you miss live music? This from a band showing why they are rated as one of the all time great live acts. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did on this dark dingy rainy lockdown Saturday :smile:

Quick search shows that this song HAS already featured but with a different female vocalist.

https://youtu.be/rLx4xJdCcZ4

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wow - a bounce from the past but I'll add most Wham songs which had Pepsi and Shirley as backing singers.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't see past Clare Torry.

A post psychedia band moving into prog do a simple piano based instrumental and ask a session singer to do scat above it.

Couldn't possibly work could it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here