Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Deep Joy Bin Men Striking Again FFS

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Brighton has gone for me. It's not the happy, cool place it used to be. It feels scruffy and run down. Does anyone else feel the same?. I have taken my 4 year old daughter twice to Brighton over the last 6 months, and each time I have noticed drug dealing right under my nose near The Pier.

It's always been scruffy and run down and a bit seedy.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good to hear it Block F. Now if you could just PM me your address, in a few weeks I might drop by with 8 -10 bin bags, Cheers

Sorry to hear about the troubles in Brighton, so it is good to be able to report all is well with the bin men in our part of the Chichester area.
Excellent service, always cheerful and helpful.We also have one of the union reps on our run, a lovely bloke, and they always get a big fat tip from me at Christmas!:thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Now, I love Brighton, but I agree with much of what you say. The deterioration in terms of cleanliness and just the general management of the city has been stark in the last 5 years. We are a city which makes much of its money through tourists and university students, (whether you like that fact or not) and so it needs to look presentable.

I don't think it's helpful to start blaming this politician or that I just want there to be an improvement. (though with more budget cuts to come, I'm not holding out for one)

Brighton has gone for me. It's not the happy, cool place it used to be. It feels scruffy and run down. Does anyone else feel the same?. I have taken my 4 year old daughter twice to Brighton over the last 6 months, and each time I have noticed drug dealing right under my nose near The Pier.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't understand all the ins and outs of this dispute. But that stance from the council is clearly entirely reasonable.

“The council has received a number of allegations and counter allegations about members of staff which need to be investigated and we’ve agreed with GMB to appoint an independent person from outside of the council to review this.

“As we do in all cases like this, we’ve asked some of the staff involved to work away from the Cityclean depot to ensure disciplinary and grievance investigations are completed fairly and while the ACAS discussions continue."

One rep, back from suspension, has been asked to work in a different office for a while to undergo a fair process . . . . . 6 day strike.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It’s not often I agree with you but for once I do. It wasn’t that long ago drug dealers would do home deliveries. Now you have to go to the Pier to pick them up your bloody self. That’s crap and a clear sign of the decline of our great city.

And you can’t even have a can of lager and some mid-afternoon “fun” on the beach without someone complaining about it to the papers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s not often I agree with you but for once I do. It wasn’t that long ago drug dealers would do home deliveries. Now you have to go to the Pier to pick them up your bloody self. That’s crap and a clear sign of the decline of our great city.

And you can’t even have a can of lager and some mid-afternoon “fun” on the beach without someone complaining about it to the papers.

ted.jpg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Not as scruffy and run down as it was back in the '70s, but I live in hope

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

:laugh:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I have to say that having lived in Brighton for nearly 60 years, I've never known it as this happy, cool place you describe. Maybe I was away that weekend.

Bits of it maybe are/were, but bits of it certainly aren't/weren't and never have been.

Keith Waterhouse famously said "Brighton looks as though it is a town helping the police with their enquiries", and whilst the razor gangs of Racehill were a little before my time, my personal memories of 70s and 80s Brighton wasn't exactly happy or cool.

It's the same as it's always been, the tart of the South with a fair amount of seediness. Or, as I've always liked to describe it - 'A bit of character' :shrug:

*edit*

Not as scruffy and run down as it was back in the '70s, but I live in hope

Exactly as I remember. I don't think s**thole would be overstating certain areas :wink:

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's the same as it's always been, the tart of the South with a fair amount of seediness. Or, as I've always liked to describe it - 'A bit of character' :shrug:

Got to agree with this. It seems it is more the people remarking on it going downhill that have had their expectations and standards change rather than the city change. That or there are lots of pairs of rose-tinted glasses knocking around.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Your generic spoon-fed rhetoric concerning unions sounds just like a miopic Dail Mail reader or the ghost of Saint Maggie, that’s my point!

No, your point is that you don’t agree with him so you revert to insulting him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here