Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Whatsapp Group for Kids football being hijacked by ‘mumsnet’ lot !!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How did you all manage before WhatsApp?
We used to tell the parents at training when the next match was and the meeting time and place. If the arrangements changed (like a game was postponed) we used to ring up all the parents. On their landlines.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We used to tell the parents at training when the next match was and the meeting time and place. If the arrangements changed (like a game was postponed) we used to ring up all the parents. On their landlines.

I remember the joys of thumbing through an A to Z of London 1/2 hour before kick off trying to find a football pitch in the middle of nowhere hopelessly lost in a down and out estate.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This is what has started to happen, thumbs up emoji, football emoji, goalposts emoji, star emoji etc etc We had 15 replies to a nothing message yesterday (unhappy emoji). Might stick an owl video on the thread, should clear a few of the women out (winky smilie with black sunglasses emoji).

Good shot sir!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The worst offenders in the group for parents of myson's team are a pair of dads who forward on really unfunny videos that invariably have some crude and obvious jokes about sex or the size of tits etc. Seems really inappropriate. Generally everyone just seems to ignore them but would love a magic solution to shut them up.

You can mute a chat so you dont recieve notifications until you look.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone who has been on the safeguarding course will know Whatsup groups etc are extremely hard to police. If sent out to children they should be sent to the whole group not individual kids.

No kids should be on any WhatsApp group - it's an absolute no-no. I coach cricket and rugby and both clubs have made it clear that sending messages (by text, messenger or WhatsApp) to any kids, individually or as part of a group, would almost certainly result in the coach's dismissal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No kids should be on any WhatsApp group - it's an absolute no-no. I coach cricket and rugby and both clubs have made it clear that sending messages (by text, messenger or WhatsApp) to any kids, individually or as part of a group, would almost certainly result in the coach's dismissal.

How do you communicate, say a change of time/venue, with the children?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I agree we started only for over 16's. Still kids as such but many had become independent and as they had mopeds and those reaching 17 cars they didn't need their parents to get them to games. We asked the relevant parents their permission. Again any message was sent to all and NOT individuals.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How do you communicate, say a change of time/venue, with the children?

We tell their parents

I agree we started only for over 16's. Still kids as such but many had become independent and as they had mopeds and those reaching 17 cars they didn't need their parents to get them to games. We asked the relevant parents their permission. Again any message was sent to all and NOT individuals.

Yeah, I coach younger kids so this hasn't become an issue. But I imagine sending group messages to kids with parental consent should be fine. I'll encounter this in a couple of years time and this sounds like good policy to me.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I've just retired as a manager/coach after 7 seasons. I kept thinking about moving it all to WhatsApp and i think the lads had one themselves in the end where no doubt they shared lots of positive things about me, but in the end stuck with the archaic form of communication.
Email. 1 D list.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Team my son plays for told parents if any coach ever messages their child directly or as part of a group we should tell safeguarding officer and the coach would be dismissed.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
the scout group I help to run use something called Online Scout Manager to run our groups communication.

this has just been adapted for non scouting groups. https://www.onlineclubmanager.com/ All our communications go via email from the system, or via a private facebook group. No need for whatsapp groups and all the hassle that goes with them. May be a solution for you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here