Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Leicester City?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm really not a Naylor basher, but he has denied this since the rumour started. Even 2 days ago he 'could not work out' where this rumour was coming from. Yet now he has enough proof to say Dunk is on Leicester short list.

My main point here is that the tone is definitely changing - for the worse IMO

If a club were replacing an England international centre-back, then it wouldn't require any ITK info to work out that other England international centre backs, such as Dunk and Tarkowski, would be on the short list.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Leon Balogun is THIRTY ONE years old! He isn't a rookie with load of potential to improve. Some of his errors (see WBA away, or the Madagascar goal at the AFCON) are way beyond 'sloppy' and into the realms of shambolic.

So what? I am not quoting him as a rookie, just a player who the Club felt was good enough and hasn't played a great deal in this to have armchair fans decide that he isn't? On the same token, he did enough in the other games he played to suggest he is good enough?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm really not a Naylor basher, but he has denied this since the rumour started. Even 2 days ago he 'could not work out' where this rumour was coming from. Yet now he has enough proof to say Dunk is on Leicester short list.
My main point here is that the tone is definitely changing - for the worse IMO

I am asking what changed between 48 hours ago when he couldn't work out where this rumour was coming from and his comments this morning

Isn’t it just that he’s surmising Dunk would be on a shortlist if McGuire goes ...which you’d guess he would be anyway

I think the reporting seems pretty fair/honest.

- He has said all summer and right up to weekend that via a source close to club/player, he thinks Dunk is 95% certain of being at club at end of window but he couldn't be 100% sure.
- This was confirmed by another journalist on NSC , who has been told likewise by his source (close to the club/player who he trusts) the exact same.
- He's currently reporting that Leicester haven't made a bid, its dependent on Maguire going through, that Dunk is on their shortlist but other players are too and that clearly Bloom intends to price him so high as to scare them off.
- Brian Owen from the Argus reported earlier in the Summer that Leicester favoured Tarkowski above Dunk.
- Tom Barclay from The Sun is reporting the exact same re: that Leicester are intending to "pursue" Dunk (which could mean anything) and was first to report that the price would be £40-45m+ from Bloom. Now sounds like its even more.
- What is the only spanner i guess, is the "devastated" report from the Mirror's John Cross which neither Naylor or another local reporter seem to be able to understand where that has come from given their sources.

IF and its a big IF that Dunk is actually asking for a move then all bets are off but so far there's no credible reporting, that i've seen, that this is the case. And even then Bloom has previous for sticking to his guns even with players who've asked to be transfer listed.
So upshot is i guess that he's still very likely to be staying at the club next season based on the above.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love Dunk and really hope he stays but if he goes for more than £50m he would become one of the top 40 most expensive players of all time - Bloom will have played an absolute blinder.

Good news = Bloom.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think the reporting seems pretty fair/honest.

- He has said all summer and right up to weekend that via a source close to club/player, he thinks Dunk is 95% certain of being at club at end of window but he couldn't be 100% sure.
- This was confirmed by another journalist on NSC , who has been told likewise by his source (close to the club/player who he trusts) the exact same.
- He's currently reporting that Leicester haven't made a bid, its dependent on Maguire going through, that Dunk is on their shortlist but other players are too and that clearly Bloom intends to price him so high as to scare them off.
- Brian Owen from the Argus reported earlier in the Summer that Leicester favoured Tarkowski above Dunk.
- Tom Barclay from The Sun is reporting the exact same re: that Leicester are intending to "pursue" Dunk (which could mean anything) and was first to report that the price would be £40-45m+ from Bloom. Now sounds like its even more.
- What is the only spanner i guess, is the "devastated" report from the Mirror's John Cross which neither Naylor or another local reporter seem to be able to understand where that has come from given their sources.

[tweet]1150412223363342337[/tweet]

[tweet]1150681880938852352[/tweet]

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This. Duffy, Clarke, Balogun and Burn, in my opinion, will not be good enough. Two of them have never kicked a ball in the Premier League, the other loves a mistake. Too much of a burden for Duffy.

You're correct in what you're saying, but doesn't it make it a bit pointless buying these players if they're not trusted to play?

We won't replace Dunk with an established (expensive) CB. If we did that we might as well just keep Dunk.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It all very well demanding £40-45m for Dunk and then telling Leicester to move on if they won't pay it. What if Dunk wants to move?

Even in the present inflated transfer market there is no way Dunk is worth anything close to £40m. I would be shocked if Leicester paid it - and Bloom should bite their hand off.

But if Leicester do come in with an offer - and Brighton reject it - if Dunk wants to go what do you do? You can keep a disgruntled player in a side that could possibly struggle all season and how effective would he be in that situation. Brighton getting relegated would almost guarantee Dunk being transferred for substantially less that what Leicester might offer now. I suspect that the number being tossed around might be a buy-out clause - but even then that number would be daft.

And if Dunk does leave then there is a massive hole at the heart of the Brighton defence - after a striker, the most difficult position to fill in the PL is centre back. Man Utd have been struggling at centre back for nearly a decade which he why they are willing to pay over the odds for Maguire.It would be one more hole to fill - and it would be all well and good having £40m for a transfer - but Bloom would still have to loosen the salary budget to get a decent player in.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The Leicester club doctor is a good mate of mine. All he knows about this is that he has not been asked to do a medical on Dunk or any other "target". He will know once a deal is agreed. United have offered 70m for Maguire but Leicester are asking 90m.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It all very well demanding £40-45m for Dunk and then telling Leicester to move on if they won't pay it. What if Dunk wants to move?

He'll get over it. He did when Fulham were in for him and he was left out of a couple of match day squads.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

yep. As referenced in the summary above. AN is unsure where the story about Dunk being "devastated" has come from given it contradicts his reporting is my take on it.
This transfer is unlikely unless Dunk, like Zaha i guess , starts agitating for it. Even then the clubs have got to be prepared to pay silly money , if the reporting is correct.
Who thinks Bloom or Potter actually wants to sell him ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Dunk wanting to go changes a lot but as already discussed on this thread a few times, Stephens asked to be transfer listed a few seasons ago and Bloom still wouldn't let him leave. He doesn't want to sell is my interpretation and if the reporting is correct, is giving Dunk a price ticket so high that its unlikely if bids come in. Which so far they haven't.
Personally i think Albion would be very wrong to sell him but then Bloom has made a very wrong decision before (only 8 weeks ago) so what do i know. :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
yep. As referenced in the summary above. AN is unsure where the story about Dunk being "devastated" has come from given it contradicts his reporting is my take on it.
This transfer is unlikely unless Dunk, like Zaha i guess , starts agitating for it. Even then the clubs have got to be prepared to pay silly money , if the reporting is correct.
Who thinks Bloom or Potter actually wants to sell him ?

Fair enough. My take on it has been all summer AN has been denying the Leicester / Dunk links and the reference was to that - rather than the devastated thing. But we will see

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair enough. My take on it has been all summer AN has been denying the Leicester / Dunk links and the reference was to that - rather than the devastated thing. But we will see

Not sure he's ever said that Dunk wouldn't attract bids. He's just reported that his sources are saying Dunk is "95% staying" (and this has been confirmed by another journalist)
Brian Owen reported that Leicester favoured Tarkowski over Dunk earlier this summer via his Midlands source. Might still be the case.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove

Even in the present inflated transfer market there is no way Dunk is worth anything close to £40m. I would be shocked if Leicester paid it - and Bloom should bite their hand off.

But if Leicester do come in with an offer - and Brighton reject it - if Dunk wants to go what do you do? You can keep a disgruntled player in a side that could possibly struggle all season and how effective would he be in that situation.

He doesn't want to go. A good friend and fellow Albion supporter knows Lewis in a professional capacity and he would only leave to further his career with a top 6 team. Not sure he wants to up sticks and move, so one of the big 3 London clubs will hold most appeal. Not saying Leicester won't happen, but it would need to be a 'too good to turn down' amount for the club to accept, and even then the personal terms would need to be attractive enough to convince him to uproot his family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here