Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
New Zealand actually won the game by one run. Because 5 runs should have been awarded and not 6 when Gupi's throw hit Stokes's bat, because the 4 is awarded to what ever is scored at the time of the ball hitting the bat, Stokes at the time hadn't crossed the crease.

That's not quite correct. The law states that "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

It's not quite clear what this means. At the time of the the throw, the batsmen had not crossed so it should have been five runs but if "the act" refers to the ball striking the bat, then they had crossed and it should have been six. I think that if I'd been umpire, I'd have given five as it was hard luck on the Kiwis (and Stokes indicated as such) but it was a tough call.

I know umpiring decisions even out but England have had a stroke of luck with umpires in two close games now: Edgbaston 05 (where the umpire definitely got it wrong) and Lord's 19 (where the umpires arguably did). If I were Morgan, I'd be doing the lottery today

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Maybe that was simply him expressing his Kiwi sense of fair play. People who like to play by the rules are not neccasarily Dick Heads.

Your head needs a serious wobble.

You lost tough luck but those are the rules. Well played but you lost, move on.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bit hungover after that yesterday

Great day for England and hopefully a boost to the sport in this country

Can't help bit feel for the Kiwi's, great competitors that probably should have won. But that's sport...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
*snigger*

That's nothing! You should have a scroll back through the official WC thread to the time of the Australia group stage match :eek:

Many beds were wet :lol:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
No - you didn’t. You lost. Get over it.

And as for Kiwi sense of fair play. Seriously? The All Blacks are the most rule bending bunch in team sport.

If Aaron Smith hadn’t been the All Blacks scrum half.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a 5 not a 6. Personally I'm not looking forward to another boring Rugby World Cup win.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I grew up in a little village just outside of Hastings in proper Eastern Sussex/West Kent 'Stoolball Country' - a place that had a village cricket team 300 years old where the game of cricket found its heartlands as a sport and fostered. I'm so happy tonight. :O

Cannot believe how MAHOOSIVE cricket is in Yorkshire compared to down there. Villages seem to have 4/5/6 teams and pitches and be playing every night.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting to seeing what C4's peak viewing figures were the cricket yesterday...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
You're obviously not an All Blacks supporter then.

I am but it would be nice if there was a bit of competition, just so the game can grow globally , nothing the pundits enjoy more down here than when a team arrives that's competitive.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I am but it would be nice if there was a bit of competition, just so the game can grow globally , nothing the pundits enjoy more down here than when a team arrives that's competitive.

Talking about teams that should have won.

British Lions 2017

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can't believe that colinz is still whining this morning, beginning to think he's an Aussie.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where have I blamed the POMs for that. It was not out, the review decision process wasn't set up so you can blame a poor umpiring decision on an unfortunate player, who earlier in the game incorrectly called for a review.
Which NZ did yesterday ...................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here