Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread is the gift that keeps on taking. :mad::timmy:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This battle of the inners and outters is gonna run and run isn’t it? No escaping it. If GP does well the outters will bang on and if he flops the Inners will be banging on about what might have been if we’d stuck with CH

This thread started as a discussion about CH’s surprise at his sacking and a good synopsis of his time here, but has degenerated into a seemingly never ending argument going around and around.

Maybe we should make the thread the CH thread and move all discussions on him to this thread, much like the Brexit thread?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:lolol:

I have a feeling of deja vu all over again.

The summary, oft repeated, is worth repeating again.

Just like it can come as a shock when, in a bad mariage one partner eventually says 'I'm sorry, I'm leaving you', it is quite feasible CH was shocked when he was sacked.

This has nothing to do with whether the sacking was fair.

This has nothing to do with whether or not other people, you or I for example, expected the sacking.

This has nothing to do with whether the sacking was inevitable, but the timing unexpected.

This has nothing to do with whether we can expect better or worse next season.

It is simply about whether when CH said he was shocked he was really shocked or whether he just made that up for comedy value, or to obtain sympathy.

He was shocked, wasn't he. He said he was shocked. He was shocked. Shocked, it was, that he was. Shocked.

It’s amazing that some people are so naive... to actually believe he was shocked... incredible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've posted numerous times on why I think TB had to take a chance on changing manager and what I think went wrong but one thing I will always think is that Hughton carried / carries himself with incredible dignity and self-respect. I've always thought he was a better man than myself or, indeed, many others and it is still something I admire in him. Anyone who saw him leading his grandkids round the Amex pitch after City would understand he wasn't expecting to be immediately sacked and I wouldn't doubt what he says in an interview for a second, because everything else he says in that piece is so CH-esque. I'm amazed it's even a debate and it's a VERY pointless one that needs to be moved on from. I've just re-looked at the text messages I was exchanging with people that morning and whether we had wanted him to stay or go there's an element of shock or, at least, surprise in those messages too.

This battle of the inners and outters is gonna run and run isn’t it? No escaping it. If GP does well the outters will bang on and if he flops the Inners will be banging on about what might have been if we’d stuck with CH

This thread started as a discussion about CH’s surprise at his sacking and a good synopsis of his time here, but has degenerated into a seemingly never ending argument going around and around.

Maybe we should make the thread the CH thread and move all discussions on him to this thread, much like the Brexit thread?

One of my biggest frustrations regarding Brexit is that it's so binary and people's rigid positions are, IMO, contributing to the country's problems instead of solving them. I don't want to start another Brexit debate on this thread, but my point is that taking the extreme viewpoint and running with it is so often counter productive.

I think threads should evolve over the season as they would naturally. Yes, people will inevitably come back to this argument when we are in a bad patch but it doesn't mean that CH would have handled the same situation with a better outcome and, maybe, not even handled it differently. And I think if things go well, as we all surely hope as Brighton fans, that we should not be doing a victory dance on Chris's managerial grave. That would simply be disrespectful.

We CANNOT know what would have happened if TB had decided to stick rather than twist and it will always be wrong to speculate thus. For me it was time to move on for all the reasons I've stated in various debates on the subject; I believe the dressing room looked split; I believe we were too negaive (and poor to watch); I believe we weren't giving our academy players enough of a chance; I believe the approach that CH takes to football and the approach I've seen from Dan Ashton's Team England are poles apart. But, I was happy enough to accept Chris and all his pragmatism and sticking with favourites in the team when it was getting us promotion, staying up in the first season and beating Man U and Palace at home last season. The rewriting of him as a bad manager refelcts badly on anyone who does it. He was one of our very best. But, he was one of our very best who lost his way and couldn't find it back again. IMHO like.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This battle of the inners and outters is gonna run and run isn’t it? No escaping it. If GP does well the outters will bang on and if he flops the Inners will be banging on about what might have been if we’d stuck with CH.

I don't know if that is actually true.

I was happy for Hughton to be given one more chance, however because my thoughts are the squad were as much to blame as Hughton, my expectations for GP I think are probably lower than many who saw Hughton as the sole reason for our 2019 debacle. I actually think I'll be giving Potter much more of a chance than those that think we're suddenly going to be transformed. I suspect it will be the likes of myself defending Potter if things haven't improved dramatically, or at all, rather than 'banging on' about what might have been.

The difference isn't always inners and outters as you put it, much of the difference is those who place much of a team's performance at the feet of the manager, and those that see it as more about the players and their confidence. Inextricably linked of course, but a good orchestra can still play beautifully without a conductor, however a good conductor cannot produce beautiful music without a good orchestra.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I believe the approach that CH takes to football and the approach I've seen from Dan Ashton's Team England are poles apart.

In theory yes, but England made the WC semi finals unable to keep the ball, trying to solidly defend the penalty area, with an target man up front and relying on set pieces.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Hi Icy, This thread and the others aren't really debating the reasons for whether he should have been sacked though are they. . How much discussion of our recruitment has there been for example. ? So Its not this. I just hoped we all, given the character and values of Hughton we've grown to know in the last 4 and a half years , would have a shared view that Hughton is not a) a liar b) not a bad manager.
Doesn't mean he shouldn't have been sacked, and i accept why Bloom did it (Please don't quote this thread "3 wins in 23" again !! - I know!!!) , but when the criticism crosses a line (not by you Icy !) , and it frequently has, then we all should step in as GB just then (a reluctant outer!) has so eloquently done just there. .

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In theory yes, but England made the WC semi finals unable to keep the ball, trying to solidly defend the penalty area, with an target man up front and relying on set pieces.

"Made the" semis like that? Don't agree at all. Whatever you thought of our opposition in the group stages no one expected us to fly out of the traps as we did. Belguim was a dead rubber and I wouldn't read much in to that at all. Against Columbia we held the lead until injury time, against Sweden we dominated the ball and in none of those games did Sterling and Lingard sit deep like the Albion's wingers had to.

"Played in the semi" like that? Yes, fair enough point. We scored, missed a couple of good chances and then sat back on it much as a CH Brighton team had been known to from time to time, alllowing Croatia to dominate the ball and the second half.

But I still feel the "Team England" ethos is more than that anyway. It's about ball retention and playing from the back but more than that it's about giving young players a chance and having the same style of play from youngsters right through to veterans in all age groups.

That. I believe, is the sort of project we initially wanted under Poyet and Oscar. CH had to come in and dig us out of a hole created by Sammi and he did it so well that his pragmatism was allowed to flourish as the team did. But, for me, hiring Ashworth was a clear nod that we needed to get back to a "club wide" style of play that brought through players from the academy and those bought from lesser leagues.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hi Icy, This thread and the others aren't really debating the reasons for whether he should have been sacked though are they. . How much discussion of our recruitment has there been for example. ? So Its not this. I just hoped we all, given the character and values of Hughton we've grown to know in the last 4 and a half years , would have a shared view that Hughton is not a) a liar b) not a bad manager.
Doesn't mean he shouldn't have been sacked, and i accept why Bloom did it (Please don't quote this thread "3 wins in 23" again !! - I know!!!) , but when the criticism crosses a line (not by you Icy !) , and it frequently has, then we all should step in as GB just then (a reluctant outer!) has so eloquently done just there. .

So now it's the fault of the recruitment team?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've posted numerous times on why I think TB had to take a chance on changing manager and what I think went wrong but one thing I will always think is that Hughton carried / carries himself with incredible dignity and self-respect. I've always thought he was a better man than myself or, indeed, many others and it is still something I admire in him. Anyone who saw him leading his grandkids round the Amex pitch after City would understand he wasn't expecting to be immediately sacked and I wouldn't doubt what he says in an interview for a second, because everything else he says in that piece is so CH-esque. I'm amazed it's even a debate and it's a VERY pointless one that needs to be moved on from. I've just re-looked at the text messages I was exchanging with people that morning and whether we had wanted him to stay or go there's an element of shock or, at least, surprise in those messages too.

One of my biggest frustrations regarding Brexit is that it's so binary and people's rigid positions are, IMO, contributing to the country's problems instead of solving them. I don't want to start another Brexit debate on this thread, but my point is that taking the extreme viewpoint and running with it is so often counter productive.

I think threads should evolve over the season as they would naturally. Yes, people will inevitably come back to this argument when we are in a bad patch but it doesn't mean that CH would have handled the same situation with a better outcome and, maybe, not even handled it differently. And I think if things go well, as we all surely hope as Brighton fans, that we should not be doing a victory dance on Chris's managerial grave. That would simply be disrespectful.

We CANNOT know what would have happened if TB had decided to stick rather than twist and it will always be wrong to speculate thus. For me it was time to move on for all the reasons I've stated in various debates on the subject; I believe the dressing room looked split; I believe we were too negaive (and poor to watch); I believe we weren't giving our academy players enough of a chance; I believe the approach that CH takes to football and the approach I've seen from Dan Ashton's Team England are poles apart. But, I was happy enough to accept Chris and all his pragmatism and sticking with favourites in the team when it was getting us promotion, staying up in the first season and beating Man U and Palace at home last season. The rewriting of him as a bad manager refelcts badly on anyone who does it. He was one of our very best. But, he was one of our very best who lost his way and couldn't find it back again. IMHO like.

Agree with all of this. I too definitely wasn't expecting TB to pull the trigger that morning (given his reluctance to fire Sami, and CH's record with us), but on reflection can see why he did, and the timing.

If CH says he was surprised, then he was - he'll be telling the truth. He always does. However, I think he might have expected to have at least an inkling he was at risk given the on-field performances and narrow avoidance of the drop - I think the sentiment is more one of some of us being 'surprised that he was surprised'. We'll never know what TB had said to him in the weeks leading up to it - there may have been subtle, or even not-so-subtle direction that CH simply didn't take on board - or indeed nothing at all.
Regardless, will be forever grateful to him for what he did for us and the great days we had - if and when he returns to the Amex he'll get the ovation he deserves for sure, as it's a bit sad we didn't get the chance to give him a send-off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not really. CH stands for Chris Hughton. Why put an "r" in it...?

People call him Chris. Chris's Exit. Chrexit. Phonetically much closer to Brexit.

-No one, in person, calls him 'CH'. When reading it on here I know I read it as 'Chris Hughton', 'CH picked the team' on the page is read in my head as 'chris hughton picked the team'.
-How do you even pronounce it? See-haitch-exit? Chris-Hughton-Exit (what would even be the point in that!)? Kexit (like sCHool)? tjexit (like CHurch)?

Chrexit just feels like it clears up so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here