Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Would you pay £40 a year for ad-free sports writing from the likes of Andy Naylor?

Would you pay £40 a year for ad-free sports writing from the likes of Andy Naylor?

• Yes, whether the Albion are in the Premier League or not

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Yes, whilst the Albion are in the Premier League

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 121 91.7%

• Total voters

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
No. Seeing as I go to most games and any breaking news is on here or Twitter it’s difficult to see what we could learn from such a site.

If it’s AN’s opinion on things Albion then I’m not really bothered. He’s not even a supporter.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
I already subscribe to the athletic and must admit that it’s far surpassed what I initially envisaged. I joined for their NCCA football & basketball coverage but have been really surprised by the quality of their proper football articles and profiles too. If you do read a lot about sports in general but don’t like wasting space on magazine etc then it’s well worth it.

FWIW - I think I only paid an introductory fee of about £20 for the year.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's an interesting concept but not one I'll buy into. As a local Journo, Naylor is by no means bad but he's hardly a Henry Winter or Martin Samuel that write things that can make you think who'd still be available for free. I take the point it would be albion related but I'd rather talk shit and read bollox on here that cough up 40 notes to read what AN'S opinion on what type of mobility scooter Glenn will be using next year or whether Locadia should be on the wing or DJing in the Concorde.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I voted no but thinking about it is less than a quid a week so cheaper than buying a paper once a week. Maybe is the answer. Would be probably if there was an introductory offer.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I’d actually prefer to pay for Brian Owen’s pieces than Naylor’s.
Naylor has become lazy and bitter towards the Albion; especially taking cheap shots at Albion fans on Twitter last season. Most of his written articles are just quotes from news conferences and player interviews...which is what most reporters and writers do but I expect more from Naylor, especially conducting research on players & teams and tactical analysis pre and post game.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
There are dozens of people on this site whose opinions I value more, enjoy more and find significantly more insightful than Andy Naylor’s and I can get those for free 24/7.

Would I pay for NSC? It’s likely I would. Would I pay for Andy Naylor? Not a chance.

Woah! Steady on, he who must be obeyed is reading this. Let's just say that NSC is OK for now. :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are dozens of people on this site whose opinions I value more, enjoy more and find significantly more insightful than Andy Naylor’s and I can get those for free 24/7.

Would I pay for NSC? It’s likely I would. Would I pay for Andy Naylor? Not a chance.

Woah! Steady on, he who must be obeyed is reading this. Let's just say that NSC is OK for now. :)

All good things come to an end.
I'll be leaving NSC soon after more than 19 years.
It has been a privilege, an extraordinary journey from near-oblivion to the PL.
Suffice to say, for now, Albion will become a big part of my professional life in an exciting venture. #bhafc

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d actually prefer to pay for Brian Owen’s pieces than Naylor’s.
Naylor has become lazy and bitter towards the Albion; especially taking cheap shots at Albion fans on Twitter last season. Most of his written articles are just quotes from news conferences and player interviews...which is what most reporters and writers do but I expect more from Naylor, especially conducting research on players & teams and tactical analysis pre and post game.

Owen will now get the keys to much coveted Argus company Honda Jazz.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I used to regularly go on the Argus site but the content became virtually unreadable with constant pop ups etc. Now I just get most of my Albion news on here, the Argus comment sections after their story lines were either written by morons or any intelligent postings were drowned out by morons. This is now my only real go to site for Albion info and long may Bozza continue to operate this site, though I cannot envisage my paying subscriptions for any content or news sites, so please Bozza, say no to paywalls and carry on in this vein, a site for Brighton fans by Brighton fans who at the end of the day feed us all with the latest news and insights that news sites just cannot compete with because there is always someone amongst our many posters who gets the latest news before any of these news agencies and posts it up here. Thanks guys and gals.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's no poll option for "maybe once I've seen reviews of the start up and the writer's line up is complete".

As I said on the AN thread there is no way I'd pay a subscription for just him but if The Athletic consistantly churns out good quality, in depth, ad free content then I'd certainly consider it. Good writing deserves to be paid for, just as good food, photography, art or music should be. But it has to be good. I can't see myself being an early adopter but I might join a bandwagon.

The bigger question for me is whether Andy can actually deliver on the new brief because, for me, he's not actually that great a writer, often lacking in wit and empathy. He'll not be feeding off the scraps he did locally though so maybe there's a budding Hugh McIlvanney just waiting to appear. I won't be holding my breath though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here