Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Students of Albion who don't go to Seagull away matches...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hello Hawks and Seagulls. Well done for drumming up support for local non league football, every right thinking Brighton fan (there's not loads of those here though) will wish you well in your endeavours. Ignore the snooty comments about the fixtures not always marrying up (it's 4 quid a game for crying out loud and how many Saturday 3 o'clocks do we actually get?) and ignore the snobbish comments about the quality of football. Not many of those people were supporting us when we had Jason Peake and Jamie Campbell turning out for us. Personally I try to get along to watch Southwick when Albion fixtures and my Mrs allow it, so won't take on a 3rd team, but like I say ... all the best

I have mentioned the fixtures not always marrying up, do you think my comments are " snooty " ? ???
I'm sure you mean me as I've mentioned the fixtures twice on this thread.
Obviously the thread is about student discount season ticket prices, I'm not a student so the season ticket deal is of no use to me.

If you noticed [MENTION=37258]Hawks and Seagulls[/MENTION] has replied to my genuine question in my first reply on this thread.
Hopefully you have also noticed in my second post that I have been to many Whitehawk matches.

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
I try to watch at least 1 game a season at Whitehawk, Burgess Hill,Lewes and Worthing. Football at first 2 was dire last season. Sorry to say Whitehawk is my least favourite. Nothing wrong with ambition but bit put of by there ideas of grandeur few seasons ago and what stupid money they were paying very ordinary players on 300 gates. Do you still have same owners ?

The 'benefactors' are still there, but the club is changing - A 300 average crowd in a city as vibrant as Brighton is crap - there's no reason why we can't get 1000/ 1,500 at every game - I'm looking to get a matchday bus from the city to the ground, next season there'll be live music before games, we've change the menu, all tix are now online - it's about the experience, not just about the football - in the past when you mentioned 'non-league, it was crappy burgers and tea in white polystyrene cups... It might have been fine for the previous generation but not for me...

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
Hello Hawks and Seagulls. Well done for drumming up support for local non league football, every right thinking Brighton fan (there's not loads of those here though) will wish you well in your endeavours. Ignore the snooty comments about the fixtures not always marrying up (it's 4 quid a game for crying out loud and how many Saturday 3 o'clocks do we actually get?) and ignore the snobbish comments about the quality of football. Not many of those people were supporting us when we had Jason Peake and Jamie Campbell turning out for us. Personally I try to get along to watch Southwick when Albion fixtures and my Mrs allow it, so won't take on a 3rd team, but like I say ... all the best

Thank you for your kind comments! I think you emphasise that non-league is alive and well and living in the souls of every true football fan... when over two million people watched National League (Div 5) football last term, there must be an appetite for it...

I had an occasion last season, where six lads were in the bar waiting for kick off at a home game, and as the two teams were walking out, one of them ushered all the rest to drink up their beer as the game was about to start... I went over to them and said; "Boys.... It's non-League... you can take your beers out with you!"

It's the freedom that makes it so appealing, especially to a generation that watch world class football in world class stadia (but pay world class prices)... best of luck for the season with Albion, and I'll keep an eye out for Southwick scores!

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
I try to watch at least 1 game a season at Whitehawk, Burgess Hill,Lewes and Worthing. Football at first 2 was dire last season. Sorry to say Whitehawk is my least favourite. Nothing wrong with ambition but bit put of by there ideas of grandeur few seasons ago and what stupid money they were paying very ordinary players on 300 gates. Do you still have same owners ?

You mean 'Brighton & Hove City'... Didn't think one action could piss so many people off! Ive only been here less than a year but I heard about it... bit naive on the club's part, and it alienated their own fans, you lot, the council, the Argus, everyone! I think they were just looking for ways to increase their identity around the city and get away from 'the estate' tag...

Personally, Whitehawk FC stays and people should feel proud of their surroundings... The area itself has massively improved, and it will get better...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You mean 'Brighton & Hove City'... Didn't think one action could piss so many people off! Ive only been here less than a year but I heard about it... bit naive on the club's part, and it alienated their own fans, you lot, the council, the Argus, everyone! I think they were just looking for ways to increase their identity around the city and get away from 'the estate' tag...

Personally, Whitehawk FC stays and people should feel proud of their surroundings... The area itself has massively improved, and it will get better...

Think what you're trying to do is great and think there is a lot of potential for the club to engage with people from across the whole of the city. Do think in order to attract, and retain, more people the club desperately needs to do up the dilapidated ground and stands. Are there any long term plans for that or to even have spectators on all 4 sides instead of just 3 sides of the ground?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You can support the club you're brought up with, and enjoy going to the local community club too... There's absolutely no conflict in terms of support IMHO - The support you give to your football club is unwavering, but as you know there are thousands of non-league/ grassroots football clubs in the country, and we're all trying our best to survive...The post is there for you to consider going to your local non-league football club sometimes, emphasising that it doesn't cost much to do so...
Good effort and good luck. In my case, Brighton is my local community club. I stretch my support to the occasional friendly and Development squad/u23 match to see who is coming through and I follow all I can about the loanees. Both categories include their international performances at U23/U21/etc levels. I have zero interest in women's football or spending my time off from Albion watching a non league local team for whom I have not one jot of allegiance. Sorry, count me out thanks.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
What a load of old bollocks. :shrug:

Indeed. A fanbase full of people who bring politics to football when most people want to have Saturday afternoon off from that tosh. I can't quite imagine ever spending a pound there again let alone £75. Non league football can be great at times, just not at Whitehawk.

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
Think what you're trying to do is great and think there is a lot of potential for the club to engage with people from across the whole of the city. Do think in order to attract, and retain, more people the club desperately needs to do up the dilapidated ground and stands. Are there any long term plans for that or to even have spectators on all 4 sides instead of just 3 sides of the ground?

Thanks. Yes there are plans to improve the ground, and perhaps a 'matchday bus' from the city to the ground - one of the main issues we have is fans getting there in the first place, so I'm working on perhaps getting some transport to games... It's a bit of a catch 22... I have to increase the crowd numbers to get the revenue to improve the transport & ground... I have organised a 'Volunteers Day' on July 21st and invited the community to come along to help paint, fix and repair... doing it all together creates an added sense of community, and will ulitmatley help us drive more people to the ground...

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
Indeed. A fanbase full of people who bring politics to football when most people want to have Saturday afternoon off from that tosh. I can't quite imagine ever spending a pound there again let alone £75. Non league football can be great at times, just not at Whitehawk.

I don't know of any fanbase in the world who chant; "homophobia, we say no!", Sexism, we say no!" and Racism we say no!" during matches...There's a self-imposed anti swearing policy, and yes you might see some ant-fascist stickers, but I'd rather see that than some of the swearing and intimidation that you see at other grounds...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here