Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Top work from the club here so far.

Agree! If you have a no1 target, make sure he definitely does want to join you before sacking your manager. Others on the 'short list' seem uninspiring if the Phil Neville thread has any credibility. Smacks of Ashworth wanting to 'show his worth' to the club.
IE if we go abroad for a manager he isn't exactly using his contacts.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Personally, if I was Potter, I would be pushing hard to at least have a chat with our Tony... how can he make an informed decision if he doesn’t know our offer?

I thought the guy was supposed to be intelligent? If so, surely he knows we are a far better bet than cash-strapped mid-table Championship also-rans Swansea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just a side note I wonder if Tony thought that Potter would jump at the chance of coming here and hoped he'd be here now quick and easy and has not expected albeit slight delay and the possibility that Potter might not fancy the role

Tony isn't that stupid...... or rather he's not stupid at all. And he will appreciate that Swansea will want to keep Potter, and that Potter might want to stick with the job, and that he might not want to move his family.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Just a side note I wonder if Tony thought that Potter would jump at the chance of coming here and hoped he'd be here now quick and easy and has not expected albeit slight delay and the possibility that Potter might not fancy the role
Or someone within the senior management of the Albion made contact with Potter's agents to get an indication, and took the initial positive response at face value without delving deeper. Family issues etc. Seems as if that person may have dropped a massive bollock. My money, Ashworth.

Personally, if I was Potter, I would be pushing hard to at least have a chat with our Tony... how can he make an informed decision if he doesn’t know our offer?

I thought the guy was supposed to be intelligent? If so, surely he knows we are a far better bet than cash-strapped mid-table Championship also-rans Swansea?

Cash strapped mid table maybe but knows the players will probably be pushing for promotion next season young talent he has progressed compared to a team that just stayed up will need a lot of work and likely to be in a long relegation scrap next season too!!! Perhaps not so enticing after all

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Cash strapped mid table maybe but knows the players will probably be pushing for promotion next season young talent he has progressed compared to a team that just stayed up will need a lot of work and likely to be in a long relegation scrap next season too!!! Perhaps not so enticing after all
We are better than relegation fodder with a couple of additional quality players we could easily be mid table, partly why TB sacked Hughton.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Tony isn't that stupid...... or rather he's not stupid at all. And he will appreciate that Swansea will want to keep Potter, and that Potter might want to stick with the job, and that he might not want to move his family.

Exactly. This is far more complex than some people are thinking. The swansea board will know they are pretty screwed without Potter what with the nature of their squad and could drop like a stone. They'll be doing everything they can to keep him. Where that leaves us, time will tell, I'm not wetting the bed just yet though...

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Exactly. This is far more complex than some people are thinking. The swansea board will know they are pretty screwed without Potter what with the nature of their squad and could drop like a stone. They'll be doing everything they can to keep him. Where that leaves us, time will tell, I'm not wetting the bed just yet though...

No no no, Potter hasn't joined us instantly, therefore he HATES us, therefore Bloom has made a terrible error, therefore we are doomed. Honestly, reading some of the dimwit comments on here from people who literally haven't got a clue what's happening (because none of us have) so have made up their own version, which they are furious about, is embarrassing.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
No-one knows what is happening - but we do know how long it's taking.

One week without a manger - at the moment - is fine. If it goes into the third week without a manger it will start to look a little uncomfortable.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Jesus Christ there are lots of people trying to push ‘their agenda’ on this situation

I mean it’s obviously ALL Ashworth’s fault

Firstly he made CH become more negative game by game which caused us to spiral into a relegation battle.. then he made TB sack Chris promising him a shiny new manager who doesn’t want to come.

Or alternatively Chris performed badly in the second half of the season which led Bloom to decide alone to remove him as manager. And now we are working through a process to recruit a manager we feel is best for the club, which for once means trying to recruit a manager currently in a job and in demand which isn’t something that’s done overnight.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He can speak Swedish.

He gave his press conferences in Swedish.

However, he is no McLaren who can speak double Dutch - could McLaren bring the best out in Locadia?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Jesus Christ there are lots of people trying to push ‘their agenda’ on this situation

I mean it’s obviously ALL Ashworth’s fault

Firstly he made CH become more negative game by game which caused us to spiral into a relegation battle.. then he made TB sack Chris promising him a shiny new manager who doesn’t want to come.

Or alternatively Chris performed badly in the second half of the season which led Bloom to decide alone to remove him as manager. And now we are working through a process to recruit a manager we feel is best for the club, which for once means trying to recruit a manager currently in a job and in demand which isn’t something that’s done overnight.

I’m going for the first option

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

He has been exceptionally successful in his career to date.
I would suspect if he gets assurances that the team he is building, is kept for next season, then he would back himself to be pushing for promotion.
Juxtapose that with a set up he doesn't know/trust, that is currently heading in the opposite direction. He might well think he has a better chance of being a premier league manager, by staying put (and further increasing his reputation)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No no no, Potter hasn't joined us instantly, therefore he HATES us, therefore Bloom has made a terrible error, therefore we are doomed. Honestly, reading some of the dimwit comments on here from people who literally haven't got a clue what's happening (because none of us have) so have made up their own version, which they are furious about, is embarrassing.

I can see why you're yet to rack up two thousand posts in over a decade and a half. I ought to take a leaf out of your book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here