Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sacking Hughton and racial implications

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Utter Bollocks. Things like this really piss me off....

If you want to cause division, mistrust and actually create racism - this is exactly the way to do it. :nono:

What a bullshit world we live in.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
We wanted the praise for having Hughton in charge, so we have to accept the criticism having now fired him.

Did 'we' want that? Intelligent constructive criticism based on balanced opinions - yes. Libelous and incendiary nonsense that could set back the promotion of equality and plays into the hands of real racists everywhere - absolutely not.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Unfortunately it is this sort of reporting which actually sets organisations like 'Kick It Out' backwards. CH lost his job due to footballing reasons. The colour of his skin made no difference and I for one never even had a second thought on the colour of his skin throughout the 4 and half years he was with us!! We, as a club, must be one of the most progressive and all this type of nonsense does is put off other clubs from hiring as they will be scared stiff to move a manager on if they feel he his not performing (just as any other manager would be) as these goons will play the race card...………………..gets my goat!!

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Look I think it's a ridiculous statement too.

But..... I think all of us were surprised by the decision. It did seem massively unlikely yesterday that CH would not have been given at least until Christmas to prove what he can do.
Some people have taken that surprise and added Race into the argument, by asking " If Chris had been white, would he have got longer?" Plenty of people think we should have.
Tony may have to break certain confidentialities and come out and say exactly what his reasoning was. That isn't likely to happen.

Other clubs would have sacked their manager long before. The fact that Hughton got us to the FA Cup semi final probably kept him in the job longer. The away game at Fulham was the beginning of the end. Remember, we struggled to beat Huddersfield at home lost twice to Cardiff and could not beat Fulham, lost at home to Southampton ( all our closest rivals ) and hammered 5 0 at home to Bournemouth.
It was right to let Hughton go so soon after the end of the season, I'm sure the decision was made weeks ago, as Hughton will not be left wondering whether he still has a job or not. I'm sure that he will receive a handsome severance package and can now go off and enjoy a long deserved rest

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Did 'we' want that? Intelligent constructive criticism based on balanced opinions - yes. Libelous and incendiary nonsense that could set back the promotion of equality and plays into the hands of real racists everywhere - absolutely not.

We, as a club - yes. Understandably, there was a lot of positive response from the club when there were race related stories, obviously CH spoke very well and we're a very progressive club in terms of inclusion and giving people an opportunity. It's clearly not the case that firing Hughton is anything other than football related, but we have to expect this attention having done so many pieces about our BAME representative manager.

Bottom line - everyone wishes Hughton had done better with the team this season. No way Bloom wanted to fire him, no way anyone wanted to be in the position we are now. Had we finished 13/14th or even 15th, with a similar end to the season as the first half, then this doesn't happen. We're thinking about next season and the planning for it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Racist my arse. Calculated decision by Bloom and his team on whether what he's done is good enough to make us progress. We've been properly woeful on the pitch for months, the stats prove it, watching it proved it - absolutely nothing to with colour but gets people a few likes and followers I guess. Collymore will be next on the bandwagon for sure. CH himself yesterday said something along the lines of 'next season will be more of the same' - probably tipped TB over the edge.

Radio now saying has he 'earned the right to change Brighton's approach ?' - maybe he's already been given the chance to do that and failed. We don't know.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Unfortunately it is this sort of reporting which actually sets organisations like 'Kick It Out' backwards. CH lost his job due to footballing reasons. The colour of his skin made no difference and I for one never even had a second thought on the colour of his skin throughout the 4 and half years he was with us!! We, as a club, must be one of the most progressive and all this type of nonsense does is put off other clubs from hiring as they will be scared stiff to move a manager on if they feel he his not performing (just as any other manager would be) as these goons will play the race card...………………..gets my goat!!

I was just going to post something similar but you have put it better than I would have. :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think they are putting 2 and 2 together and getting a number that isn't 4.

However, I'm trusting that the club has done its due diligence on Ashworth following the Mark Sampson case at the FA. I am making the assumption that Ashworth's role in not stepping in to protect Eni Aluko or investigating the claims against Sampson at Bristol has been clearly explained.

It would also be wrong to assume that this has any bearing on the decision to replace Chris. That was down to results and playing style.

As another poster has pointed out. We do still have a black manager in Hope, and who is to say our next manager will not add to the low number of BAME managers in the country?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Utter Bollocks. Things like this really piss me off....

If you want to cause division, mistrust and actually create racism - this is exactly the way to do it. :nono:

What a bullshit world we live in.

This. I’m withdrawing my support of Kick It Out. I’m white. So I’m definitely racist. And privileged obviously...why would they want klan members like me?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hope Powell anybody?

EDIT - Seen the point has been adequately made already. A small point but one well worth making to those chucking accusations about.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I can't believe what some of these journalists are printing. I know their industry is in decline and anything for a click, but the stuff printed is misguided and just shows complete ignorance about BHAFC

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Even trying to make sense of this makes me shake my head in disbelief....

Tony Bloom : "Has anyone noticed anything about Chris lately?"

Assistant : "Well, he's got rather brown skin - and no, I don't think he's been on holiday. I think it's natural you know..."

Tony Bloom : "Christ, I knew it. I knew it. We've only gone and hired a black man. I never realised.. I can't believe I never noticed. I was so busy thinking about our piss poor run of form I didn't stop to think. Sack him, and quickly."

Assistant : "Yes, Mr Bloom"

FFS... :glare:

PS : I've found John Barnes to be very sensible and pragmatic about racism, especially calling it out when it doesn't exist. I'll assume he means the decision was wrong on a footballing level.

bobbyc

Aug 9, 2016
Accept he doesn't say anything of the sort, and I watched the interview as well as read your link.

It appears some of our fans are desperate to make more of this racial link in the media than there actually is.

"The solution is not to give more black people jobs in football, the solution is to give black people, women, homosexuals more respect in life, then that will filter up.

"Until we change our perception of a BAME person's capabilities, in all walks of life, we will be given less opportunities and less time to succeed."

Sounds like he's blaming it on racism to me...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think they are putting 2 and 2 together and getting a number that isn't 4.

This.

These two facts are not mutually exclusive.

It’s extremely sad and disappointing that another BAME Manager has lost their job further dwindling the already shockingly low numbers of BAME managers working.

Chris Hughton was sacked due to results & performances on the pitch.

It’s very sad that pundits are putting the two together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here