Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Marmite

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Apparently in the olden days long before the best before dates were introduced, they used to throw a can of food on the ground to test it, and if it didn't explode it is safe to eat. Did your grandma do this first?

No not that I recall I think we only found out when clearing after the meal but I also remember on another occasion my Grandma had a bottle of cold remedy that everyone had had a spoon of since the 1950s and was still being dished out in the 1970s it was horrible and only stopped being used when the bottle screw top finally gave up the ghost and refused to undo

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I would happily try marmite a decade out of date. Sadly in my house a large jar might make it through a fortnight.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
If you must stockpile for Brexit, I’d go with Corned Beef instead

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Assuming it has no mold then it's fine I have never looked at the date on marmite but the large jars I purchased of marmite probably five years ago both jars were reduced in price hence we purchased two we are now on the second jar and having just checked I have to say prompted by this thread I note it went out of date in 2015 and as of yet it's still fine, I can recall as a child in the 1960s whilst visiting my grandma she had some tinned fish that we ate for tea that had a date of the 1938 I cannot remember if that was when it was tinned or a best before date if in fact such a thing existed at that time, I do think we do pay a little to much attention to stated dates and not enough attention to our own sence of smell, sight and taste

What’s this Mold you speak of?

Mould I believe you mean.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
This thread is agony for me to read. I have to be on a low potassium diet and Marmite is one the products I'm not allowed.
I absolutely love the stuff :tantrum:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Paying the bills