Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jury Service

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm appearing in court. Have i got to do it, how can get out of it legitimately?

As you have been arrested you don't have the option (unless your appearing as a witness?), I'm not looking to "buck the system", just looking for options open to me to enable me to keep up with bills and living expenses buy working to pay for them.
If i don't work i don't get paid and can't pay my bills and will fall behind with them.
If i have to do jury service i can't work to pay my bills.
The "compensation" is less than a 1/3 of income.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
That's why you should be able to be exempted, have you asked, or explained your situation ? There must be more informed resources online to provide guidance.

No, i only got the letter today, but it did say being self employed was not a reason to be excluded, but advice from [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] he was in a similar situation so will follow his advise and call them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You can claim loss of earnings from the court, travel and food. (based on hours done and length of service).

Your employer can claim loss of earnings as well..

That sounds like a possibility, is there a limit on what they will pay, or is it bona fide loss of earnings? I'd not be able to pay my mortgage, or other bills if I was to take more than a couple of weeks.

Likewise for my firm, they would need to recoup to cover costs that would be incurred.

I must confess, I'd not heard that they would cover loss of earnings, hence I've always maintained that I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd still be very nervous for any long term period, as sales is a lot about relationships and they would suffer greatly, for me.

Like when someone gives birth or breaks a leg you mean?

Do organisations employing 3 or so people really have people working for them, who go off and have babies?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
They pick names off the Electoral Roll. On the basis that anyone who is stupid enough to have their name on the Electoral Roll is stupid enough to agree to Jury Service.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They pick names off the Electoral Roll. On the basis that anyone who is stupid enough to have their name on the Electoral Roll is stupid enough to agree to Jury Service.

Assuming you were born here how can you not be on the Electoral Roll, its not optional is it?

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
How odd,I too got a letter this morning from HM Courts. Was bricking it b4 opening the letter. I thought it was one of my creditors chasing me(I'm on a debt management plan). They had threatened. Was delighted to find a have been selected for jury service. Not sure if I get paid by my employers,but the allowances would mean a slight loss financially if 10 or less days,more if longer. I'm hoping for a very long case! £129.91 per day + travel and subsistence...yes bloody please!!!

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
???
think you better re read it, £32 per day up to 10 days, the £64 each subsequent day.

I have. It's £32.47 per day for the first 10 days up to & including 4hrs. But,double that if over 4 hours. Not sure if that's time in court or time you would have spent doing your usual job though?

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
I have. It's £32.47 per day for the first 10 days up to & including 4hrs. But,double that if over 4 hours. Not sure if that's time in court or time you would have spent doing your usual job though?

^ just looked on Direct Gov website,& it is time spent each day. Assuming it's less than 4 hours most days,I will be seriously out of pocket! Unless it's a lengthy case :-/

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Assuming you were born here how can you not be on the Electoral Roll, its not optional is it?

No-one is automatically on the electoral roll. Most people with any sense aren't. (Caveat: If you own property you most likely will be, but if you are stupid enough to own property being on the ER really is the least of your worries. IMHO.)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've done it twice and loved it. I hope they call me again, it's like 2 weeks extra holiday.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No-one is automatically on the electoral roll. Most people with any sense aren't. (Caveat: If you own property you most likely will be, but if you are stupid enough to own property being on the ER really is the least of your worries. IMHO.)

There are 2 electoral roles. Only one is optional.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I've done it once, wouldn't mind giving it another go because it was a slow fortnight.

First week spent most of the time in the jury room reading while legal arguments took place behind closed doors, then the bugger pleaded guilty and we weren't required to sit.

Second week sat on an assault trial which lasted three days and required no thought whatsoever. Five independent witnesses identified the accused and his defence relied on the sole concept that "it wasn't me" in spite of the fact that he couldn't come up with a decent explanation of where he actually was. Even his barrister's body language indicated that he knew he couldn't win it!

I find the process fascinating and wouldn't mind another go, hoping to get more interesting cases.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I was excused for having sciatica at the time - sitting down for any length of time was not an option.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'd love to do it. Have been to watch a couple of court cases in the last year as i'm facinated by the system.I was a naughty boy when I was younger (after 18 though) and got arrested/Cautioned so i'm ineligble :(

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
I did it back in May. In the first case the guy in the dock said he knew me! I didn't have a clue who he was. I was removed from that trial and put in a fraud one which lasted 2 weeks, so boring. The worst bit was the deliberating at the end which took ages.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not a lot of help to the OP really, but I was once excused jury service as my then boss wrote a letter saying I could not be released from work at the time. It was then deferred, but when the next summons came in, I had a pre-boooked holiday for the same week and was excused a second time. Never heard anything after that.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Gone through the list and there don't seem to be any exclusions that apply to me.
Have i got to do it, how can get out of it legitimately ?

I was excused for medical reasons. I outlined what I saw would be my difficulty in doing it in an email to them, and they excused me - without asking for any evidence, which rather surprised me - but I could have provided it anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here