Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Power CUT in Hove

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Whilst the current power cut is probably unrelated, energy security was one of the most important reasons for me to vote remain. By sharing our resources (e.g. Our wind and Spain's sun) we would be in a much safer place in the future, particularly as oil supplies dwindle. We already import electricity from France and lord knows what will happen to that come November.

That's a neat idea actually.

Assuming it's practical and benefits both parties, we should look at arrangements involving the sharing and exchange of energy resources with our European neighbours.

Assuming it's practical and benefits both parties, it's a good example of the kinds of arrangements which we can enter into with our European neighbours on a voluntary basis.

Assuming it's practical and benefits both parties, both parties would surely agree to this kind of cooperation, there isn't a need for us to be members of the EU political union in order to work closely with our European friends and cooperate on mutually beneficial projects and arrangements.

Voluntarily.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Assuming it's practical and benefits both parties, we should look at arrangements involving the sharing and exchange of energy resources with our European neighbours.

Assuming it's practical and benefits both parties, it's a good example of the kinds of arrangements which we can enter into with our European neighbours on a voluntary basis.

Assuming it's practical and benefits both parties, both parties would surely agree to this kind of cooperation, there isn't a need for us to be members of the EU political union in order to work closely with our European friends and cooperate on mutually beneficial projects and arrangements.

Voluntarily.

Being a member of the EU is voluntary.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Obviously.

It makes me laugh how many people are bringing up Brexit because we've had a power cut.

Strange, because the arguments against Brexit are so very strong, and clear, and 100% correct, makes me wonder what the need is to link Brexit to something completely unrelated when the case against Brexit is so good anyway.

Go figure.

Had a change of allegiance Dingo ?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Voluntarily.

I may have been a little premature with my first response then Dingo eh ?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Being a member of the EU is voluntary.

Well being a member might be voluntary, but complying with whatever the EU decide, once you are a member, is not.

But yes, being a member is voluntary, and we chose to leave.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Well being a member might be voluntary, but complying with whatever the EU decide, once you are a member, is not.

But yes, being a member is voluntary, and we chose to leave.

If being a member is voluntary, and being a member involves complying with what the EU decide, then that compliance is necessarily voluntary also.

Ultimately we have always been voluntarily choosing, nothing has ever been forced.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Clapham Junction in compete darkness but the trains are running. I've just got on a train.

SUPERB (and I mean superb) job by the station staff.

Megaphones on every platforms, telling everyone the next train and stopping stations from memory.

They will close the station soon, cos the only light is the train arriving :)

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Areas of Truro lost power around 5pm, but plenty didn't. How can a power cut be so widespread, but at the same time so localised?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If being a member is voluntary, and being a member involves complying with what the EU decide, then that compliance is necessarily voluntary also.

Ultimately we have always been voluntarily choosing, nothing has ever been forced.

So what's the problem with us leaving then?

By your logic, nothing changes whether we stay or go. It was all voluntarily before, it will all be voluntarily after.

Should be a non-issue then.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So what's the problem with us leaving then?

By your logic, nothing changes whether we stay or go. It was all voluntarily before, it will all be voluntarily after.

Should be a non-issue then.

Of course things will change, there are benefits (and negatives) of choosing, voluntarily, to be a member of the EU.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Clapham Junction in compete darkness but the trains are running. I've just got on a train.

SUPERB (and I mean superb) job by the station staff.

Megaphones on every platforms, telling everyone the next train and stopping stations from memory.

They will close the station soon, cos the only light is the train arriving :)

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Before the advent of privatisation of the railways every station had platform staff pushing brooms and emptying bins and generally just being " available" , they all knew the timetables, they all knew the connections, they all saw the trains and their occupants and could often be ahead of problems. Nice to know there re still some stations with staff.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Of course things will change, there are benefits (and negatives) of choosing, voluntarily, to be a member of the EU.

Yes, membership is voluntary. But the negatives of membership are that we can't do A, and we must do B etc. The requirements of EU membership, while we are members are not voluntary they are mandatory. If they were voluntary we could choose, for example, to end free movement. We can choose to (and have chosen to) leave. Because we can't stay without being subject to the mandatory requirements of the EU.

If we enter into a voluntary arrangement with country X on arrangement Y, what's the difference, why would that be worse?

(I feel we are talking a cross purposes a little here to be honest, I'm suggesting that we can work with other EU nations, on the things we do now, if both parties consider it beneficial and agree (which, if both parties consider it beneficial, they will - if both parties don't consider it beneficial, then they won't - nor should they. IMO a far better model than we agree to work together on everything whether we feel it beneficial or not, or we work together on nothing, even if we feel it would be beneficial to do so).

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Whilst the current power cut is probably unrelated, energy security was one of the most important reasons for me to vote remain. By sharing our resources (e.g. Our wind and Spain's sun) we would be in a much safer place in the future, particularly as oil supplies dwindle. We already import electricity from France and lord knows what will happen to that come November.

Here's my view on what will happen to power from France in the future, post Brexit. If France has surplus power, they will sell it to whoever will pay the most; if they are short of power, they won't sell any.

As opposed to pre-Brexit, when if they had surplus power, they would sell it to whoever would pay the most; if they were short of power, they wouldn't sell any.

The EU may be a fine idea in principle, but that principle doesn't extend as far as countries depriving themselves of essentials to help out their neighbours.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Areas of Truro lost power around 5pm, but plenty didn't. How can a power cut be so widespread, but at the same time so localised?

i believe this is because the after effects of the initial power cut caused bits of power grid to fail.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here