Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I suspect Adam is the highest paid technically because he was a free transfer so as to keep him within the wage structure he would probably have been given around £2m signing on fee plus £55k a week salary , effectively making him the highest paid player if you add the £2m ish to the length of his contract .

Dunk on £55k plus win bonuses built into new contract .

Everyone else in the first team squad between £35-50k

That’s just my guesstimate .

Certainly agree with the view that we'd have offered Lallana a large signing on bonus to offset a drop in wages to bring him into line with our wage structure, the fact we were offering him a three year deal as well would have helped our offer look better too.

There is no way we'd have created a massive disparity between Adam and the rest of the squad, especially if we have Dunk on a deal where he's always the top paid (or within a certain percentage of the top wage earner). Lallana is good but he isn't that good that he's worth destroying a wage structure for, especially when there are question marks over his injury record.

It just doesn't fit with how Tony seems to do business or run the club.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
JRG put himself in a corner with talking about wages initially looking more like "facts" rather than the guesswork it is. Lot of horsey as well. BW is obviously not earning £6k a week for example. Not a chance in hell he would have accepted that deal after being chased by Leeds for £25m or whatever it was.

Let's be clear - this is not the first time that there has been a discussion about the contracts the players have on this forum - it has come up on several occasions and I have been utterly consistent in pointing out that we do not know the terms of the contracts that players have, that any claims about the terms of such contracts are speculation and educated guesswork. I base all my comments on the terms of such contracts on researching sources and trying to find those sources that seem to be the most credible - but at the end of the day nobody knows except those that are actually involved in such contracts.

This is a discussion forum - most of the discussion is based on opinion, speculation and guesswork - I try and back up my assertions with evidence - most people on the forum do not.

This thread is about Duffy and the discussion has revolved around the prospect of him being sold for a fee - the wages of Dunk and White and anyone else are really a side issue. Duffy is being paid a substantial wage - he has two years left on his contract and because of that he will be very hard to move out of the club unless the club eats at least a proportion of his remaining contract. Duffy has no incentive to move, thereby taking a significant pay-cut - and I don't blame him. He is almost 30 years old and seems to be in decline - the guy is due to make about £5million before the end of his contract - would anyone on here voluntarily give up half (or more) of that so that the club could make or save some money?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Let's be clear - this is not the first time that there has been a discussion about the contracts the players have on this forum - it has come up on several occasions and I have been utterly consistent in pointing out that we do not know the terms of the contracts that players have, that any claims about the terms of such contracts are speculation and educated guesswork. I base all my comments on the terms of such contracts on researching sources and trying to find those sources that seem to be the most credible - but at the end of the day nobody knows except those that are actually involved in such contracts.

This is a discussion forum - most of the discussion is based on opinion, speculation and guesswork - I try and back up my assertions with evidence - most people on the forum do not.

This thread is about Duffy and the discussion has revolved around the prospect of him being sold for a fee - the wages of Dunk and White and anyone else are really a side issue. Duffy is being paid a substantial wage - he has two years left on his contract and because of that he will be very hard to move out of the club unless the club eats at least a proportion of his remaining contract. Duffy has no incentive to move, thereby taking a significant pay-cut - and I don't blame him. He is almost 30 years old and seems to be in decline - the guy is due to make about £5million before the end of his contract - would anyone on here voluntarily give up half (or more) of that so that the club could make or save some money?

It may be the case that the reasons he appears to be in decline are based on the fact that he didn't fit in with Potterball (not his fault) and on a season spent with a club that have experienced an untypically poor season (by their standards). Others on here have suggested, and I tend to agree, that there are certain managers (e.g. Dyche, Warnock, Allardyce) who play in a way much better suited to Duffy's game. I think Duffy's level was always circa upper championship/lower PL and to that extent I don't think he's declined - that is still his level.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It may be the case that the reasons he appears to be in decline are based on the fact that he didn't fit in with Potterball (not his fault) and on a season spent with a club that have experienced an untypically poor season (by their standards). Others on here have suggested, and I tend to agree, that there are certain managers (e.g. Dyche, Warnock, Allardyce) who play in a way much better suited to Duffy's game. I think Duffy's level was always circa upper championship/lower PL and to that extent I don't think he's declined - that is still his level.

I would judge his decline against the players he is competing with in the Irish team. He was top dog at CB for several years and is now behind Clark (Newcastle), O'Shea (WBA) and Egan (Sheff Utd) - and falling behind Collins (Stoke - although likely to be Burnley next season) and Omobamidele (Norwich - and Duffy would only be ahead of him because he is an 18 year old kid). It looks like Hughton isn't even interested in bringing him into Forest if they lose Worrall.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He was MOTM for Ireland last week. Life in the old dog yet.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I suspect Adam is the highest paid technically because he was a free transfer so as to keep him within the wage structure he would probably have been given around £2m signing on fee plus £55k a week salary , effectively making him the highest paid player if you add the £2m ish to the length of his contract .

Dunk on £55k plus win bonuses built into new contract .

Everyone else in the first team squad between £35-50k

That’s just my guesstimate .

Lallana and Dunk are on 90k a week - has been mentioned several times on here, Lewis was previously on 70k until last summer as had been reported several times and he has a match highest earner clause. Welbeck is on around 70k

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Lallana and Dunk are on 90k a week - has been mentioned several times on here, Lewis was previously on 70k until last summer as had been reported several times and he has a match highest earner clause. Welbeck is on around 70k

Just because people say it on here doesn’t make it true.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I would judge his decline against the players he is competing with in the Irish team. He was top dog at CB for several years and is now behind Clark (Newcastle), O'Shea (WBA) and Egan (Sheff Utd) - and falling behind Collins (Stoke - although likely to be Burnley next season) and Omobamidele (Norwich - and Duffy would only be ahead of him because he is an 18 year old kid). It looks like Hughton isn't even interested in bringing him into Forest if they lose Worrall.

Amazing what one season in a poisonous atmosphere like at Celtic last season will do for you :lolol: While our other recent departures north of the border have done very well, Duffy will bounce back, probably not with us, but he is still a very good defender, i have no doubt about that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
....... .which many people (myself included) seriously doubt. I also seriously doubt any reports on how much anybody in the team is actually earning. Pick a number, stick it on t'internet somewhere, and see if anyone 'likes' it, in most cases.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Most likely he does not have a clause like that.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
He was MOTM for Ireland last week. Life in the old dog yet.

No he wasn't - whoever gave him the award needs a kick in the backside. Both Egan and O'Shea were well ahead of him.

Duffy had one good block in the second half - but was repeatedly caught for pace, dragging down players, and repeatedly caught in possession. In one instance Molumby (who should have known better) passed the ball back to Duffy, who got the ball tangled in his feet, kicked it to a Hungarian and forced Kelleher to make a fantastic double save to keep the game scoreless.

Amazing what one season in a poisonous atmosphere like at Celtic last season will do for you :lolol: While our other recent departures north of the border have done very well, Duffy will bounce back, probably not with us, but he is still a very good defender, i have no doubt about that.
It was a major mistake going to Celtic - and I blame his agent and Lennon. Celtic under Lennon played with a high line and that is the opposite of Duffy's game - once he got there he was completely at sea when it came to defending. It was a case of his heart ruling his head because it was Celtic.

I would love to see Duffy rebound to the form of a couple of seasons ago (for his sake and Ireland's because it won't matter at Brighton) - but I don't see it happening. He has sown know indication that he is stopping the slide and, like I said, he is being rapidly passed out by several players in the Irish squad. It's a pity - I like what he brings as a player and he deserves to do well, particularly in light of the fact that he nearly died after a horrific injury when training with the Irish U-19s many years ago.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No he wasn't - whoever gave him the award needs a kick in the backside. Both Egan and O'Shea were well ahead of him.

Duffy had one good block in the second half - but was repeatedly caught for pace, dragging down players, and repeatedly caught in possession. In one instance Molumby (who should have known better) passed the ball back to Duffy, who got the ball tangled in his feet, kicked it to a Hungarian and forced Kelleher to make a fantastic double save to keep the game scoreless.

It was a major mistake going to Celtic - and I blame his agent and Lennon. Celtic under Lennon played with a high line and that is the opposite of Duffy's game - once he got there he was completely at sea when it came to defending. It was a case of his heart ruling his head because it was Celtic.

I would love to see Duffy rebound to the form of a couple of seasons ago (for his sake and Ireland's because it won't matter at Brighton) - but I don't see it happening. He has sown know indication that he is stopping the slide and, like I said, he is being rapidly passed out by several players in the Irish squad. It's a pity - I like what he brings as a player and he deserves to do well, particularly in light of the fact that he nearly died after a horrific injury when training with the Irish U-19s many years ago.

I don't think that anything, or anyone, would have stopped Shane from joining his boyhood idols Celtic. I do agree though that the didn't suit there playing style at all.

I feel sure though that he will bounce right back, providing he finds the right club, and once he has put this major disappointment behind him. You don't become a bad player overnight. Good luck to him.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

Totally agree with the first part of your reply, Celtic was the wrong choice but try telling that to big Shane a year ago, the team he supports, who's fan base at the time already adored him European football and probably a better than 50% chance of creating history by winning 10 in a row, you cant blame him for wanting that. Even if Brighton had entertained the idea of a move to West Brom or West Ham who were rumoured to be interested, Shane would still have taken the loan at Celtic in my opinion.

The second part, might just be me wishing him the best, but another loan to a club with no emotional attachment and a style that suits him better and i think he will come good again, i hope Chris Hughton will be interested but Chris was badly let down at Brighton in his final season by quite a few players in my opinion, i guess it would depend if he feels Shane was one of them.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Just because it didn't work out at Celtic, it wasn't a mistake to go there. Hindsight is 20/20 but he wanted to play for Celtic, the opportunity arose. It would have been a mistake not to have gone at the time but it's a real shame it went so badly wrong for him.

Not the club. I was quite pleased how badly they did last season, but it's a shame for Shane.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Totally agree with the first part of your reply, Celtic was the wrong choice but try telling that to big Shane a year ago, the team he supports, who's fan base at the time already adored him European football and probably a better than 50% chance of creating history by winning 10 in a row, you cant blame him for wanting that. Even if Brighton had entertained the idea of a move to West Brom or West Ham who were rumoured to be interested, Shane would still have taken the loan at Celtic in my opinion.

The second part, might just be me wishing him the best, but another loan to a club with no emotional attachment and a style that suits him better and i think he will come good again, i hope Chris Hughton will be interested but Chris was badly let down at Brighton in his final season by quite a few players in my opinion, i guess it would depend if he feels Shane was one of them.

Duffy was PotS in 2018/19, and scored five or six. He was excellent in CH's deep block style of play, but most of his clearances went straight back to the opposition, which continued to invite them on to us.
Beside his poor (at PL level) passing ability, he's also slow, which means that he's completely unsuited to Potter's style of play. As [MENTION=19921]Doc Lynam[/MENTION] has said, he'd work for Burnley (maybe Palace or Watford too), but the best thing for all parties is if he moves elsewhere. He's going to get very little game time with us.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Duffy was PotS in 2018/19, and scored five or six. He was excellent in CH's deep block style of play, but most of his clearances went straight back to the opposition, which continued to invite them on to us.
Beside his poor (at PL level) passing ability, he's also slow, which means that he's completely unsuited to Potter's style of play. As [MENTION=19921]Doc Lynam[/MENTION] has said, he'd work for Burnley (maybe Palace or Watford too), but the best thing for all parties is if he moves elsewhere. He's going to get very little game time with us.

As i said before, i think he will bounce back, probably not with us though. I agree, he doesn't suit our style of play at all anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here