Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Trains last night

Hindsight is a wonderous thing! I could have chosen any number of options. I could have taken the Waterloo & City Line from Bank direct to Waterloo station, taken your suggestion, done any number of other routes. The fact is I chose what turned out to be the shit option. It happens. By the way, many trains departing from Waterloo to Southampton do not stop at Clapham Junction. Another lesson I have learned from attending Albion away matches in London.
Actually I didn't realise there was only one Overground station between Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street so I'd have chosen that route too. What I can't work out though is why you chose to change at Tottenham Court Road instead of Bank. According to this map, the Bank route has no stations to stop at whereas the TCR one has an extra seven. I did think the Waterloo & City didn't operate in the late evening, but your post seems to imply that it does.

Screenshot_20190425-012550.png

Last edited:

el punal

Actually I didn't realise there was only one Overground station between Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street so I'd have chosen that route too. What I can't work out though is why you chose to change at Tottenham Court Road instead of Bank. According to this map, the Bank route has no stations to stop at whereas the TCR one has an extra seven. I did think the Waterloo & City didn't operate in the late evening, but your post seems to imply that it does.

View attachment 108253

Ah, there’s the rub! I don’t know either. I think at the time I was trying to work out whether the W&C line was still in service at that time of night. I erred on the side of caution (stupidity!) and went for the Northern line option instead, i.e. continue on Central line to Tottenham Court Road then to Waterloo. Big mistake! :shootself

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ah, there’s the rub! I don’t know either. I think at the time I was trying to work out whether the W&C line was still in service at that time of night. I erred on the side of caution (stupidity!) and went for the Northern line option instead, i.e. continue on Central line to Tottenham Court Road then to Waterloo. Big mistake! :shootself
[MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] was, I'm assuming, heading back to Southampton and I saw him at Tottenham Hale underground after the game.

el punal

[MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] was, I'm assuming, heading back to Southampton and I saw him at Tottenham Hale underground after the game.

I didn’t see him, which was a shame as I got on the 11.35 out of Waterloo, full of Spurs fans thinking how wonderful they were, and what a beautiful stadium they have with all their wonderful facilities and gizmos. Then I mentioned that they didn’t have padded seats . . . . :cool:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed we are. If you say Barnham three times then the train terminates as if by magic. Then the fairy godmother waves her magic wand and a Blue Star bus appears with a driver who happens to have the strongest Welsh accent you’ve ever heard. Land of my fathers, boyo! :cheers:

Would the bus be driven by Dave from Barry Coaches?

Hindsight is a wonderous thing!
Ah, there’s the rub!
Sorry if it looks like I'm rubbing it in but hindsight has nothing to do with it :)
A minute's foresight at half time would have made you realise that you could have actually caught the 2235 from Waterloo, thereby getting to Southampton as early as 23:49 (74 minutes is pretty good going for London to Southampton.)

This 3-minute journey is actually shorter than the time you would have spent stationary in those other seven stations!

Screenshot_20190425-135907.png

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Northumberland Park to Liverpool St was a decent option in terms of getting away but the journey was slow. 23:16 from VIC, eventually left around 23:30 and then ran slow for most of the journey arriving Shoreham just before 01:00. Tedious and feeling tired today....

If you wanted Victoria, you should have got off the train from Northumberland Park just one stop down at Tottenham Hale then got the Victoria line to Victoria. That's my 3 days a week commute.

el punal

Sorry if it looks like I'm rubbing it in but hindsight has nothing to do with it :)
A minute's foresight at half time would have made you realise that you could have actually caught the 2235 from Waterloo, thereby getting to Southampton as early as 23:49 (74 minutes is pretty good going for London to Southampton.)

This 3-minute journey is actually shorter than the time you would have spent stationary in those other seven stations!

View attachment 108277

That’s right, kick a man when he’s down! :cry:

That’s right, kick a man when he’s down! :cry:
Actually Bank to Waterloo is only a 2 minute journey because the driver has to walk the length of the shuttle train in order to drive the return journey and arrive back at Bank 5 minutes after leaving it (6 minute service from both stations in the late evening). It's only 2 kilometres, so you could have probably walked it faster than..... OK, that's enough, I'll stop now :lolol:

el punal

Actually Bank to Waterloo is only a 2 minute journey because the driver has to walk the length of the shuttle train in order to drive the return journey and arrive back at Bank 5 minutes after leaving it (6 minute service from both stations in the late evening). It's only 2 kilometres, so you could have probably walked it faster than..... OK, that's enough, I'll stop now :lolol:

:thumbsup: :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here