Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo - what’s going on?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A bit unfair really. When players come back from a a career threatening injury. They often have a fear of it happening again once they get fit again. It takes time for them to lose that fear psychology. We need do acknowledge these things and be more supportive during his recovery time.

This is true, I remember Stephens being quite tentative on his comeback after a long injury. Then he returned to being his usual shit self :lolol: (joke - I’m a big fan of his)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A bit unfair really. When players come back from a a career threatening injury. They often have a fear of it happening again once they get fit again. It takes time for them to lose that fear psychology. We need do acknowledge these things and be more supportive during his recovery time.

We are in a relegation battle where all hands are needed on the pump, not a recovery centre for crocked players. Time to pee or get off the pot. I still recall the home game last year, ran the length of the field towards the Norff then missed a sitter. I don't think he's up to it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We are in a relegation battle where all hands are needed on the pump, not a recovery centre for crocked players. Time to pee or get off the pot. I still recall the home game last year, ran the length of the field towards the Norff then missed a sitter. I don't think he's up to it.

He needs to be up for it because ''Knockeart was ''too up for it'' and ended up suspended for being too up for it - AJ just hasn't ''had the ability to date'' to be up for it - Maybe we just need Jose to get over the injury quicker than we would normally have given the lad.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He needs to be up for it because ''Knockeart was ''too up for it'' and ended up suspended for being too up for it - AJ just hasn't ''had the ability to date'' to be up for it - Maybe we just need Jose to get over the injury quicker than we would normally have given the lad.

I said 'up TO it', not 'up FOR it'. One is about ability, one is attitude. Not sure on either though personally.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A few things going on with Izquierdo I think...

1) Not fit. His body shape has changed, the explosive acceleration has disappeared. Plays like he's managing an injury
2) Opposition have worked him out. If he had an ounce of common sense, (or was being coached better) he'd go on the outside and try to cross with his left, just once, rather than cutting in
3) He's being asked to do a job which he's no good at. His main task on Saturday was picking up Doherty whilst Bong tucked in. Solly is pretty good at that, but Izquierdo doesn't have the concentration for it.
4) My guess is that there is a conflict between club and player. I bet Hughton wants him to have his op now, but he doesn't want to, as he wants to have a crack at the Copa America then have his op afterwards, (which would probably leave him out till xmas)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
A few things going on with Izquierdo I think...

1) Not fit. His body shape has changed, the explosive acceleration has disappeared. Plays like he's managing an injury
2) Opposition have worked him out. If he had an ounce of common sense, (or was being coached better) he'd go on the outside and try to cross with his left, just once, rather than cutting in
3) He's being asked to do a job which he's no good at. His main task on Saturday was picking up Doherty whilst Bong tucked in. Solly is pretty good at that, but Izquierdo doesn't have the concentration for it.
4) My guess is that there is a conflict between club and player. I bet Hughton wants him to have his op now, but he doesn't want to, as he wants to have a crack at the Copa America then have his op afterwards, (which would probably leave him out till xmas)

2. He did do that more towards the back end of last season but expect he’s reluctant to because
Of point 1. and that exacerbating his injury.

3. Managed it well last season so probably more linked to point 4.

4. Conflict maybe because we’ve binned his mate - Schelotto - and we’re playing him injured which is actually hindering his chances in the Copa. Hasn’t made a Colombia squad once post World Cup despite being declared ‘fit’ by us.

Such a shame as despite what people here say about him being a one trick pony it’s a pretty good trick when you’re bloody quick and bloody good at it.

Think he’s just psychologically troubled atm for a whole host of reasons.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Point taken about game time and injured this season. However, am concerned that he's a bit of a one trick pony. Namely cut inside take a swing and just once in a while it screams in but more often than not it skews off towards the corner flag. Would also not trust him on a ' one on one ' with a keeper. Too much time to think about would be his undoing.

Ultimately, I remain unconvinced!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rumour mill is that he has an injury that is chronic so he can play but needs an op to correct it.

This will happen off season, but if he does need one I fail to see how a half fit player is benefitting anyone.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to cut him some slack. He's not right, we need him 100% fit for next season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Are you seriously suggesting an injured player over a fit player. If he's not fit (and he's not), he should have his operation and get ready for next year.

He is not that good that he needs to be risked even half fit.

One trick pony, has pace and little else, cuts inside every time because his left foot is so weak.......

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I love Izquierdo. Was my POTS last season and particularly good in the second half. That goal against Stoke was sex.

A demonstrably ITK poster on here has said he’s having an op this summer, so he’s clearly not 100% and it’s bizarre that he was selected ahead of March and Knocky today.

A shadow of his former self. The decline of so many of last season's good performers has meant the tide has gone out leaving us wearing no swimming trunks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here