Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Hughton to Step Up

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
and you’re not wrong here either, but it’s backs to the wall for the next few vital games. I feel it’s too late to make any change, so if our C.H. is struggling to boost the team then we all need to help him do so.

please don’t think i’m suggesting you aren’t,

It's too late, absolutely. I have said in another thread, my ideal situation would be stay up and mutually agree to part ways.

I wouldn't want him to be sacked, rather he was able to walk away rather than being booted. He doesn't deserve to be dumped in such a way Norwich did

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hmmm Chris has said, post today, we need to get back to being hard to beat. 0-0 at best on Tuesday is then, another ultra defensive display awaits. Jesus, it’s going to be long night.

We might get lucky, then again...

It’s too much to take, playing for a draw at home against Cardiff, but that’s how far we’ve regressed this time around.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
It's too late, absolutely. I have said in another thread, my ideal situation would be stay up and mutually agree to part ways.

I wouldn't want him to be sacked, rather he was able to walk away rather than being booted. He doesn't deserve to be dumped in such a way Norwich did
t

then we are in complete agreement.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hmmm Chris has said, post today, we need to get back to being hard to beat. 0-0 at best on Tuesday is then, another ultra defensive display awaits. Jesus, it’s going to be long night.

We might get lucky, then again...

It’s too much to take, playing for a draw at home against Cardiff, but that’s how far we’ve regressed this time around.

This! Was my immediate thought too. If (IF!!) we 'get back' it's only going to be 'hard to beat' which even newly arrived Aliens know means a nil-nil bore draw at most...against Cardiff. That'll keep us up won't it...! Zzzzzzzzzz

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I'm currently doing some 'analysis' on Brighton data from WhoScored, nothing too revealing at the moment and certainly nothing that hasn't been pointed on here.

I'll make a blog post about it soon enough, but my god. Our older formation was certainly better than what we have right now, the stats really don't lie all over the place.

Most strikingly, on average our possession has increased. My main concern is, we have absolutely no clue what to do with it. As our shots have increased on average, but our average shot accuracy has decreased.

This stinks of missing Gross...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This! Was my immediate thought too. If (IF!!) we 'get back' it's only going to be 'hard to beat' which even newly arrived Aliens know means a nil-nil bore draw at most...against Cardiff. That'll keep us up won't it...! Zzzzzzzzzz

I know, he seemed way too comfortable in his post match interview... all shoulder shrugging, all what can you do against world beaters like Bournemouth?.. FFS Chris! that performance was shocking... shocking... and then we get the, lets get back to basics, let’s be hard to beat... against Cardiff!?! I mean, roll on the championship.

Let’s be positive, let’s talk about attacking intent, scoring goals and bloody winning.

It’s too negative, too dour and the results are following suit.

Where do we go from here?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I will not say a bad word about Chris as a person. He conducts himself with great credit and is always composed in his reactions (in public anyway).

BUT - the biggest concern for me today was not the size of the defeat but the way the players appeared to down tools and almost give up. Does Chris really have the ability to lift this squad of players for what is as we all know a massive game on Tuesday? From what I saw today I really fear that we have very few ideas of how to get the best from what I accept is a pretty limited squad, and I'm not convinced they will be able to lift themselves for Tuesday. Warnock will have his side right up for this as this may be their last chance to save themselves, and I worry that if we concede the first goal it will all go tits up again. If it does then I think relegation is highly likely as I couldn't then see us getting anything from our remaining games.

If we survive then a major analysis needs to be undertaken as to whether Chris is the long term answer as manager - has he taken us as far as we can go? and also recruitment needs to be reviewed as really hardly any of of the players signed since we've been in the Premier League have made much of an impact. Yes, a few have done ok, and I still hold out hope for Bissouma and Bernardo to be good long term signings but can we continue to chance our arm from lesser European leagues? or do we try to strengthen and take chances with Championship players and hope they can make the step up?

Having calmed down after today's shambles I will be giving it my all in the stands on Tuesday as I know will all decent Albion fans to push us to that crucial win that will hopefully take us just about to safety. Then the hard work will really have to begin.

Good post tbf and about right

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hughton talking up Bournemouth needs to be called out for this bullshit it is. Bournemouth’s recent away results are:

L v Leicester
W v Huddersfield
L v Arsenal
L v Liverpool
L v Cardiff
L v Everton
L v Man Utd
L v Spurs
L v Chelsea
L v Wolves
L v Man City
L v Newcastle

So that’s three points from 12 games and those all came against the second worst team to ever play Premier League football.

Ouch. Monday’s PowerPoint presentation with the board ain’t looking too hot Chris.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know, he seemed way too comfortable in his post match interview... all shoulder shrugging, all what can you do against world beaters like Bournemouth?.. FFS Chris! that performance was shocking... shocking... and then we get the, lets get back to basics, let’s be hard to beat... against Cardiff!?! I mean, roll on the championship.

Let’s be positive, let’s talk about attacking intent, scoring goals and bloody winning.

It’s too negative, too dour and the results are following suit.

Where do we go from here?

I get frustrated by calling something out for what it is and then being labelled a doom-monger: there's a hell of a difference between being negative and having a better grasp on reality.

Proverbially though, I think way too many Albion fans aren't tough enough to survive in the PL. It's unforgiving and ruthless. If you hide from that then it tends to chew you up and spit you out. Which is what's about to happen to us. Because we're a nice club, forgiving, patient, a lovely family outing, that doesn't sack managers and provides every ex player with a lounge to chair on match days. As long as we're winning best programme and pie, have the best training ground and seemingly employing everyone under 23 that can kick a ball then everyone's happy. More's the fool if you are. That's all peripheral. The core of our club is and always will be the quality of the 1st 11 (mens) and it's been weak for 2 seasons. There were so many things alarming many of us back in Nov/Dec, the net result of which is where we find ourselves tonight i.e. on the brink of relegation. I'm not surprised. Especially after our lack of transfer activity in January.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I get frustrated by calling something out for what it is and then being labelled a doom-monger: there's a hell of a difference between being negative and having a better grasp on reality.

Proverbially though, I think way too many Albion fans aren't tough enough to survive in the PL. It's unforgiving and ruthless. If you hide from that then it tends to chew you up and spit you out. Which is what's about to happen to us. Because we're a nice club, forgiving, patient, a lovely family outing, that doesn't sack managers and provides every ex player with a lounge to chair on match days. As long as we're winning best programme and pie, have the best training ground and seemingly employing everyone under 23 that can kick a ball then everyone's happy. More's the fool if you are. That's all peripheral. The core of our club is and always will be the quality of the 1st 11 (mens) and it's been weak for 2 seasons. There were so many things alarming many of us back in Nov/Dec, the net result of which is where we find ourselves tonight i.e. on the brink of relegation. I'm not surprised. Especially after our lack of transfer activity in January.

Totally agree. Tonight, it’s very difficult to question any of the above.

Doubtless some will try... sigh.

It’s only a game, I know, but we really shouldn’t have been so lax in January given our actual form, irrespective of our points tally. We were looking very poor, and being very lucky... well that’s run out, right out of town.

Resting on ill founded laurels.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Totally agree, I want him out as manager but not out of the club, we owe him loyalty for that.

We also have to consider that Bournemouths scouting and recruitment system has been light years ahead of ours for many seasons and Eddie Howe can pretty much do exactly as he wants. Picking up Cook and Elphic was a shrewd move and has earned the right to more or less run the club as he pleases because every player seems to a success story.

Our recruitment is very professional but it hasn't got enough charisma for players from lower divisions to come here. Howe has built a reputation for being great for up and coming players. I wonder if Howe would have any real joy with our squad because it was pretty clear that man for man, as individuals, are much better players than ours. And if that is the case I feel sorry for Hughton having to polish turds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If ever there is a time for Chris to demonstrate the managerial skills for which he has been feted all season, this is it. Not quite, but almost a one match shoot-out. He needs to show his mettle and find a formation and personnel to win one match. Warnock will have Chris sussed unless Chris pulls a surprise of some sort - goodness knows what, but we dare not be predictable, slow or any of the usual nonsense. It needs to be Man Utd all over again.

Didn’t he try to do this yesterday ?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He will step up but then drop back 20 yards.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here