[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I mean yeah it's a silly thing to say.

But Wolves spent a similar amount of money in the transfer window, and I don't think Brighton are capable of the performance I've just seen against Spurs.

You mean the Spurs we drew at home to last season and the Wolves we just beat 1-0? That Spurs and Wolves?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't disagree with this, but why is CH persisting with Solly March in the No.10 role? Perhaps the appearance of Andone in the closing stages suggests that he will start next week?

I was thinking about this last week and, given Solly's comments about now being aware of how much ground Pascal covers, I wondered whether he's picking Solly in that role because he is most able to deal with the fitness/workrate requirements of the role. AJ would seem to be the natural choice for the position, but I guess that Chris doesn't feel that he is ready for such a demanding physical role when he needs time to get used to the pace of the English game. If this is correct,it would also suggest a reason why he is giving AJ as many minutes as he can, why he is playing when Knockaert didn't seem to deserve to lose his place, why he stays on and Izzy gets subbed. Perhaps he is trying to get him up to speed to use him in the Gross role.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

But Wolves spent a similar amount of money in the transfer window, and I don't think Brighton are capable of the performance I've just seen against Spurs.

Wolves spent £67m on a collection of international stars in the Championship

IMG_2922.PNG

With a further £50m on highly regarded internationals this summer including Moutinho.

All due to their close relationship with a super-agent.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I'm just saying the general quality of football isn't great for all the money spent in the 18 months of life in the Premier League.

If it wasn't for Murray, Dunk, Duffy and Ryan things wouldn't look nearly as rosy as they do right now.

And only one of them has been bought in the last 18 months.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're PL new-boys, and not very long ago we were a Championship club. The gulf is HUGE. We've already discussed Fulham's "gung-ho" balls-out attacking approach, which has backfired.
Ok, so Fulham are finding it tough, but Huddersfield have shown that you can come up and play attacking football and succeed.

Aug 19, 2017
Just have some bloody patience Ben! Bloom and CH are building something great and it will take time. Such a lack of loyalty and respect for a man who’s done so much for both the club and town. SHAME!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

You should really read up what has been going on there. they have an "interesting" model.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Caught one or two tiddlers tonight Trig:salute:
I wasn't actually fishing, I was just being flippant. Do these people seriously think I haven't noticed the table?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What a dingbat

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Evening everyone, that was me on the radio earlier by the way. I initially called in because they were waffling on about this potential European super league nonsense and I wanted to talk about something that had actually happened. You’ve got to say something outlandish or they won’t put you on.

Anyway, much as I admire Hughton and obviously accept that he has done and continues to do a fantastic job I can’t help but feel frustrated when we opt to pass sideways or backwards when we have the opportunity to attack teams on the break. I’m talking about when we’ve been under pressure in our own box and the ball rebounds or gets cleared, ending up at the feet of Bong (if he doesn’t mis-control it) or Knockaert or March or Bissouma and we don’t just... attack. There’s no danger because all their players are in our half, and we’re bursting into theirs but we always slow it down, look sideways and then the opposition regroup and the opportunity is gone. It happened at Newcastle, at home to Wolves and today at Everton.

So, do I want Hughton to ‘step aside’? Not really. Would I like to see him be a little more positive now that we’ve clearly got a great defensive shape and are very tough to break down? Yes. Am I concerned that if we continue to ignore these opportunities to attack on the break we risk not scoring enough goals to keep us in the division? Maybe. And by the way, if we do get relegated it’s not really the end of the world.

So no, I’m not a Palace fan on a wind up and I’m not a kid and nor am I a recently arrived ‘jcl’. I’ve watched us at all four home grounds and up and down the country in all four divisions. The thing is, having got to the premier league and had a bit of a look I think it’s there for us to have a go at and maybe not just settle for the top 17 if Hughton can just release the reins a little bit now and again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Evening everyone, that was me on the radio earlier by the way. I initially called in because they were waffling on about this potential European super league nonsense and I wanted to talk about something that had actually happened. You’ve got to say something outlandish or they won’t put you on.

Anyway, much as I admire Hughton and obviously accept that he has done and continues to do a fantastic job I can’t help but feel frustrated when we opt to pass sideways or backwards when we have the opportunity to attack teams on the break. I’m talking about when we’ve been under pressure in our own box and the ball rebounds or gets cleared, ending up at the feet of Bong (if he doesn’t mis-control it) or Knockaert or March or Bissouma and we don’t just... attack. There’s no danger because all their players are in our half, and we’re bursting into theirs but we always slow it down, look sideways and then the opposition regroup and the opportunity is gone. It happened at Newcastle, at home to Wolves and today at Everton.

So, do I want Hughton to ‘step aside’? Not really. Would I like to see him be a little more positive now that we’ve clearly got a great defensive shape and are very tough to break down? Yes. Am I concerned that if we continue to ignore these opportunities to attack on the break we risk not scoring enough goals to keep us in the division? Maybe. And by the way, if we do get relegated it’s not really the end of the world.

So no, I’m not a Palace fan on a wind up and I’m not a kid and nor am I a recently arrived ‘jcl’. I’ve watched us at all four home grounds and up and down the country in all four divisions. The thing is, having got to the premier league and had a bit of a look I think it’s there for us to have a go at and maybe not just settle for the top 17 if Hughton can just release the reins a little bit now and again.

Maybe you need to be a tad patient given you've watched all those years..beginning of the second season thats all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here