Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Any progress at Selhurst?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why are the Nigels persisting with this nonsense. Even if they build that stand, the rest of it will still look utterly third world. The Arthur waite is barely fit for purpose as it is. Anyone with a brain can see they need to move out of the area, but that would take years and a concerted effort by professional people running the club as opposed to their succession of clueless chancers who just jizz their money on players they can barely afford.

I'm amazing anyone thinks this is a good idea, I have no idea how any of their fans are on board with it.

I firmly believe those of us in the East Stand have the best view of the AMEX because our backdrop to the football is the magnificent West Stand.

Now I'm sure those in the West feel their view is the best because they are in the West Stand.
The North Stand fans are so deliriously happy they individually break out into random songs!
While the away fans get to not appreciate the view of the entire stadium.

Whereas at Selhurst I can't work out which will be worse.
Sat in a £100m AMEX-lite stand overlooking a rubbish dump.
Or
Being Stig towered over by the opulence of the 'haves'.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hopefully they’ll improve the away facilities too which are appalling, although the complimentary three points were a nice touch.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm amazing anyone thinks this is a good idea, I have no idea how any of their fans are on board with it.

I firmly believe those of us in the East Stand have the best view of the AMEX because our backdrop to the football is the magnificent West Stand.

Now I'm sure those in the West feel their view is the best because they are in the West Stand.
The North Stand fans are so deliriously happy they individually break out into random songs!

Or

First sentence, you’re not.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
"Lads, Lads... I'm sick of waiting. Let's build our own bloody new kitchen. Honestly, this one's not fit for rodent habitation..."

paalacerat.jpg

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Or

What would you propose then ?

There is no where in the borough to build, CP sports ground is in Bromely and they have said no.

To knock the ground down and start again would be very expensive, Palace haven't got the luxury of a Billionaire prepared to pour 200 million into that project. Not only that who would we ground share with ?

So the alternative is to build the ground bit by bit, like all the stadiums did back in the day. Once the main stand is built (if ever?) then the others can be improved when and when.

Its easy to pick holes but unless there is a better idea thats all Palace have to work on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

There is no where in the borough to build, CP sports ground is in Bromely and they have said no.

To knock the ground down and start again would be very expensive, Palace haven't got the luxury of a Billionaire prepared to pour 200 million into that project. Not only that who would we ground share with ?

So the alternative is to build the ground bit by bit, like all the stadiums did back in the day. Once the main stand is built (if ever?) then the others can be improved when and when.

Its easy to pick holes but unless there is a better idea thats all Palace have to work on.

If it looks like shit and smells like shit and can't be polished then it usually means it is...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I would spend £50m+ on the worst 2 stands in order to make them pleasant.
Before moving on to stage 2, spending similar on the next 2.

All of which I'd be doing now after spending oodles of cash on a bespoke state of the art training facility.

That in turn will instantly generate money as my palace will no longer be paying mercenaries £150k a week just to bid good day to the vermin as they walk in the door.

That's what I would do, what about you?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I would spend £50m+ on the worst 2 stands in order to make them pleasant.
Before moving on to stage 2, spending similar on the next 2.

All of which I'd be doing now after spending oodles of cash on a bespoke state of the art training facility.

That in turn will instantly generate money as my palace will no longer be paying mercenaries £150k a week just to bid good day to the vermin as they walk in the door.

That's what I would do, what about you?

I think they are spending quite a bit on the training facilities.

What would I do...I like it as it is, it maybe a run down shit hole but its our run down shit hole :)

But seriously.

The Holmesdale end is great IMHO, good bars ,good views, nice rake nothing wrong with it, it may not be that pleasing on the eye but its a good football stand.
The Whitehorse end..Functional, views are good. After Boyle sold the land to Sainsburys and buggered off with it, there's not much Palace can do with it.
Arthur Waite stand ( or new stand to us oldens ) Needs to be seriously upgraded and has done since all seater stadiums, this will be next but there are hight and light issues with the houses down Park road.
The main stand is a proper old stand, but alas in these days of corporate money, happy clappers and customers will have to be replaced so that the aforementioned, can enjoy their day out with nice seats a bit of lunch and a drink and they may well watch a bit of football while their there.

So I suppose its about generating more money so it makes sense the main stand is built first...us plebs that cant afford the price to sit in there will have to get wet from a leaking roof while drinking flat beer then wading ankle deep in piss in the toilets...but I would not swap that, its football :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It really is. The whole place crumbles if you so much as lean on it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
To knock the ground down and start again would be very expensive, Palace haven't got the luxury of a Billionaire prepared to pour 200 million into that project.

But apparently you have £100m+ (these things NEVER come in under budget) to spend on one stand?

Doesn't make any sense.

At least we'll be able to see where the ring fenced money is as surely the accounts will be published soon, like most other clubs....... It wasn't in the last accounts so must have been invested since.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I'm sure Charlton would oblige.

Who remembers Palace fans coming on here telling us that far from having one billionaire owning their club, they had four who all had vast fortunes and how lucky they were?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But apparently you have £100m+ (these things NEVER come in under budget) to spend on one stand?

Doesn't make any sense.

At least we'll be able to see where the ring fenced money is as surely the accounts will be published soon, like most other clubs....... It wasn't in the last accounts so must have been invested since.

It's just an insane amount of money to spend on 1/4 of the project just to try and catch up with the rest.

There's no point attempting to get into a stadium willy waving competition with the likes of us, Arsenal, BHA, Wembley, The Albion, Forest Green Rovers and their arch enemies, when many of their fans actual home, Tottenham, comes along spends a billion and makes everyone else look a naff.

palace NEED a functioning, nice, 35k, stadium, which works within their planning constraints.
What it doesn't need is the AMEX's west stand (with probably 1 extra seat) overshadowing an ever increasing embarrassment of a ground.

Although that said it's pretty obvious they can't help themselves as soon as someone mentions 'vanity project' they go all weak at the knees completely ignoring all the 'if's but's and maybe's' that seem to be scattered all over each missive from the club.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I cant answer any of these questions...I am just a normal fee paying fan.

But the Palace board are all pretty rich self made men a bit like TB, and I am sure they have looked into all the same things and asked the same questions you are and have been advised / come to the conclusion that that is the way to go ?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I notice you’re getting chirpy again now you’re nearly safe ???
As for the stand, it will get done, 2,3 years, who knows.
In the meantime, try to stay in this division so you can still moan about the away fans facilities each season.
Mind the gap :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

But the Palace board are all pretty rich self made men a bit like TB, and I am sure they have looked into all the same things and asked the same questions you are and have been advised / come to the conclusion that that is the way to go ?

Are they all lifelong fans though or investors ? (Genuine question - I don't know who they are)

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I notice you’re getting chirpy again now you’re nearly safe ???
As for the stand, it will get done, 2,3 years, who knows.
In the meantime, try to stay in this division so you can still moan about the away fans facilities each season.
Mind the gap :wink:

So where is the ringfenced cash? At least our accounts are up to date, on time and totally transparent. Shame the same cant be said about yours, its all "Smoke and Mirrors" (Ltd)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Of course and that's fair enough loz. We all realise you're one of the few decent Palace fans who post on here and nobody's having a pop at you.

Prince Charming similar to TB though? Only in the fact that he supports the club that he's the chairman of. Beyond that, zero. He's "pretty rich" in normal terms. But not in "owning a football club" terms. Which is why he doesn't actually own Palace any more...... Some Delaware companies do.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here