Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham fan and Sun chief sports writer comes in peace

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
You missed out the word quality. "There's a lot of quality in their side" or "they have some quality players" etc etc. Every CH press conference I've seen quotes from in the past 2 or 3 years has featured the word quality.
Quality

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Didn't somebody list 25 players who have played for both?

Off the top of my head I got Bobby Z, Sidwell, David Stockdale, Darren Freeman, Danny Cullip, Paul Brooker, Simon Morgan, Richard Carpenter, Paul Watson, Clive Walker, Peter O'Sullivan, Stan Brown, Teddy Maybank, Perry Digweed, Leroy Rosenior. Plus Micky Adams and Alan Mullery represented both..

Liam.

Plus one ought to mention Jimmy Langley for the seriously senior.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Got to say, that Fulham win over Juventus was one of my favourite non-Albion football matches.

What it must have been to have been a Fulham fan that night...

Thanks.
I was stuck in Bristol at a work conference and got special permission from the boss to find a pub to watch the game in and miss the start of a team meal. I had to hunt for a pub screening the Europa League (not Liverpool who were also playing that night) and when I found one I had to ask the barman to switch over from a German match. We were already 0-1 down and I almost walked out straight away, expecially as there was bno-one else watching it. As our goals went in, more and more punters started watching it and when Dempsey scored his wondergoal, the whole pub went up. I sprinted back to the team meal, a bit pissed and a lot happy, in time for the main course. I just grinned at my boss and he know what had happened.

Long story short, if Albion ever qualify for Europe, take your chances to go to as many games - especially away - as possible. You'll probably never get the chance again.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Just read this on a Fulham messageboard that might amuse you:

The Albion’s board had extremely strained relations with their Fulham counterparts in February 1905. The Cottagers were playing Reading in an FA Cup Replay two days after their scheduled Southern League Division One match with the Albion at the Goldstone.

As a result, Fulham rotated their squad around 100 years before squad rotation even became a thing and sent their reserve team down to Sussex to fulfil the fixture. That meant a completely different starting XI to that which had been printed on the day’s match-card, with Fulham then refusing to reveal the names of those who would be playing to either the Albion or the press. The Brighton Board were furious about this and reported the matter to the Southern League, who fined Fulham £20 for fielding a second 11. Needless to say, Fulham’s reserves had the last laugh by running out 4-1 winners.

Finally, Fulham remain one of only two current Football League clubs – along with Wycombe Wanderers – who the Albion played in a competitive game at the County Ground. They beat the Cottagers at the current home of Sussex County Cricket Club 2-0 in Southern League Division Two on Saturday 30th November 1902. Clem Barker and Frank McAvoy were the scorers.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just read this on a Fulham messageboard that might amuse you:

The Albion’s board had extremely strained relations with their Fulham counterparts in February 1905. The Cottagers were playing Reading in an FA Cup Replay two days after their scheduled Southern League Division One match with the Albion at the Goldstone.

As a result, Fulham rotated their squad around 100 years before squad rotation even became a thing and sent their reserve team down to Sussex to fulfil the fixture. That meant a completely different starting XI to that which had been printed on the day’s match-card, with Fulham then refusing to reveal the names of those who would be playing to either the Albion or the press. The Brighton Board were furious about this and reported the matter to the Southern League, who fined Fulham £20 for fielding a second 11. Needless to say, Fulham’s reserves had the last laugh by running out 4-1 winners.

Finally, Fulham remain one of only two current Football League clubs – along with Wycombe Wanderers – who the Albion played in a competitive game at the County Ground. They beat the Cottagers at the current home of Sussex County Cricket Club 2-0 in Southern League Division Two on Saturday 30th November 1902. Clem Barker and Frank McAvoy were the scorers.

Wow, disrespecting the league to concentrate on the Cup. Great info, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here